Type
For Sale
Currency
USD
Price
May 20, 2015 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Argybargy

100+ Head-Fier
This is a mid 1990s 007T that has both normal and pro bias jacks.  It has been modified to use 6S4A tubes, which have much better voltage swing than the stock tubes.  This mod is permanent so the old 6cg7 tubes cannot be used.  The sound is significantly better than stock with a bigger soundstage, better bass, and a more nuanced presentation.  It has enough oomph to drive the 007MK1.  The SRX-MK3, SR-5, and 507 also all sound sublime.  This is a do-it-all amp since it has both the normal and pro bias jacks.

All of the electrolytics have been replaced which is advisable since the unit is 20+ years old.  In addition, all of the big electrolytics have had polypro bypass caps installed and the high voltage stock polypro caps were upgraded to 1000V teflons.  This amp should be good for the next 20+ years (except for replacing tubes of course).  I have been using it at least once a week for months and have only had top notch performance.

It comes with a quad of Westinghouse 6S4A tubes with lots of life left.  For those unfamiliar with Stax amps, when you change tubes, you must re-bias every time.  This should ONLY be done by a professional.

I am reluctantly selling off my headphone gear since developing tinnitus.

Insured FedEx shipping and Paypal fees are included.  Lower 48 USA only.
Preference is given to established members with excellent trade feedback.

May 21, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 3

NoPants

1000+ Head-Fier
Did you do the mod yourself?

May 21, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 3

Argybargy

100+ Head-Fier
Yes, took all day, but not too complicated, just gotta go slow.  For anyone who tries this, its important to cut the traces wide and deep and to clean out any flecks of metal.  The breaks should also be coated in clear nail polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread