6H30Pi Gold Pin vs 6H30P-DR
Nov 8, 2008 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MatthewK

100+ Head-Fier
So what is the big difference between the 6H30Pi Gold Pin and 6H30P-DR besides reliability and expected life?

How big of a difference is there in sound quality?

I'm waiting on a new MK IV SE, David said it will come with the 6H30Pi Gold Pin and M8100 driver tubes. I also have some 6Zh1P-EV driver tubes in the mail.

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the link fordgtlover, it's nice to know a little more about the meaning behind "-DR," etc.. But what about the sound quality difference? Is it huge? Is it only barely noticeable? I know the DR Super Tubes last longer and are more reliable, but I'm more interested in knowing the sound quality differences.

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 8
I just ordered my DR tubes for a 100 bucks taking advantage of the ebay microsoft cashback offer. Don't know how it sound yet but keep in mind the recent patch of EH tubes that come with the LD have QC issues and I got one broken and hissing already... Little Dot had already acknowledged that on their forums but seems that thread is gone due to a server reset

Fear not tho as LD's service are top notch and David sent me one replacement tube in just 1 day later, I was shocked at the speed of the turn around actually.

My guess is that they will be better as long as your speaker/cans are good enough to tell the difference.

Nov 8, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 8
Prior to ordering the MK IV SE I owned the MK V. I loved the MK V, the only reason I sold it was because I changed from D2000's to HD650's. Plus I'm intrigued by the whole tube thing. This will be my first tube amp. Anyway, I completely agree that the customer service for LD amps is absolutely top notch. David is always super quick to respond, even on the weekend. Even better is that his answers are accurate and straight to the point, he doesn't give you a B.S. answer like a lot of companies do.

wudai_e, what are your thoughts on the 6Zh1P-EV tubes? I see you have them according to your sig.

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 8
I have these tubes in my BAT VK300xSE integrated amp ($6k integrated amp, with totem hawk speakers, DAC1 USB source). I have a pair of the original -DR variants. These are PRICEY now. I got a pair of the -EB variants from Jim McShane to hear the difference. My -DR have about 1000 hours on them.

I found them to be quite similar. I think the -EB had a little more high-end sparkle. The -DR are a little mellower. Its impossible for me to know if that is the difference due to age.

If you found a true new -DR variant, you can get them from BAT at $300 each (he uses them in the $20k REX preamp), they might sound better. BAT puts the -EB versions as standard equipment now in their preamps other than the REX.

I'm happy with the -EB versions right now. The DR are in the boxes.

To be honest, I would be very very careful buying DR tubes unless you are getting them from a truly reputable dealer. It's too easy to sell old junk tubes as NOS.

One other thing, the EH versions are just the Sovtek with gold plated pins from what I understand.

Also, just head over to Audiogon or AudioAsylum and search on 6H30, there is a TON of information and feedback on these tubes as they are used in many high-end preamps right now.

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a really good chain - i.e., material/source, DAC, amp - then the DR will give you a noticeable improvement. please don't ask if it's worth $100 as compared to the PI or EB version. I don't value my listening satisfaction in that fashion

Hey G,

I agree totally. When I acquired my first pair of DR's, my DAC was just good enough to show me the DR's were special. Now that I have done the "FrankenZero" mod to the Zero DAC, the DR's really show their stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back