6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Dec 2, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #991 of 1,003
I was recently testing some Siemens in my T2. The CCa silver shield from your link are good tubes, but I did not find them outstanding. The asked price I find way too high. I also tested Siemems E88CC silver shield A-frame getter, which I found similar to the CCa silver shield. I returned both.
IMO the real deal are the Siemens grey shields from the 60s. In my T2 I have now a pair of CCa grey shields and a pair of standard E88CC grey shields. They are exactly the same tubes, just that the CCa are the best selected ones. Between my two pairs I could not find a big sonic difference (tbc, as I have them just since few days).
The grey shields are very dynamic and precise sounding, very tight and in comparison slightly on the leaner side. I can definetely recommend them for T2, they are awsome.
This is great info! Do you have any sellers for the gray shields you recommend? I do see some place called Cali Acoustics that claims to have the CCA in stock as well?

Dec 2, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #992 of 1,003
The seller of my pair grey shield CCa had only this one pair. I paid 350€ for a matched pair with as new measurements. I had to search and wait for that offer, easy find them for double the price. And there seems to be fakes of the CCa out there.
The standard E88CC grey I saw for about 200-250€ for a NOS pair. But I have no source, sorry.

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #994 of 1,003
Dec 3, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #995 of 1,003
The first ones seem to be silver, the second grey shield.

This guy from austria was selling good CCa to some I know. A grey was 330-350€, so not cheap either. Not sure what he currently in stock.
http://www.koschuh.com/
Hello
Max Koschuh also has some Telefunken CCa on offer, for example http://www.koschuh.com/Telefunken-E88CC/index.htm

Siemens & Halske CCa are available in abundance and can be requested.
A small selection can be seen on eBay https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?icon...=maxkoschuhonlineshop&_oac=1&_sop=3&_svsrch=1

The delivery of my approx. 15 CCa and other NOS E88CC was always reliable and with measurement protocol.

My final personal favourites out of 5 x CCa were 4 x Siemens & Halske + 1 x Telefunken.

I think it's worth travelling into the world of CCa.
Rainer

Dec 4, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #997 of 1,003
Thanks all! :k701smile: I was looking at these four https://www.soundlumia.com/products...-munich-1965-nos?_pos=5&_psq=cca&_ss=e&_v=1.0 but was concerned that they were two matched pairs, as opposed to a matched quad for use in a balanced amplifier (T2). Are there any issues with going with two matched pairs for an amp as opposed to a matched quad? Am I better off to "mix" in order to have the "total" values be the same per side? Or match per side? Or simply avoid tubes not matched in a quad?

Dec 4, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #999 of 1,003
The T2 only needs matched pairs per channel. No need to fixate on a quad.
That's interesting! I do not really understand how these things work. Wouldn't one pair being "higher" than the other result in a channel imbalance? In my head, I'm picturing the higher measuring side as having "more power" but this is probably not accurate since clearly I do not understand tube measurements.

Dec 5, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #1,000 of 1,003
The offer from the link you posted previously shows a matched pair of Siemens CCa (Gray Shield) which is highly overpriced. 994 USD is way to much. You can get a similar matched pair from time to time from one of the reputable sellers on Ebay for 400-450 USD.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #1,003 of 1,003
cause i wanted something as tuby and syrupy as possible

Amperex Orange Globe 6EJ8/ECC88 are beautifully warm and beautiful (but I wouldn't call extremely syrupy). I have a clean matched pair in original boxes that came to me NOS (1967 or 68) last year and were very briefly used in a VAC preamp until I switched to Soviet 6N23P's. I have extensive documentation. PM if you'd like talk about them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back