65+ Headphones, 7 DAC/Amps & 1 persons opinion. Oh my!
Aug 28, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #46 of 76
I got the Ori's after conversing with Doc. He'll share his thoughts of the two, but I have a feeling you'll get Ori's soon :wink:....I really wish I could have afforded the Odin's, but alas, that's out of my range for headphones. Some great choices out there right now and only getting better.

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #47 of 76
Thank you for your answer. Can you please write a comparative between ZMF Blackwoods and ZMF ORI. Thank you! I have the ZMF Blackwoods, and I was looking at ZMF Ori. I would really appreciate a detailed comparison between the two. Thank you!

Hi. Sorry for the delay. I think I pretty much covered that when I posted my impressions of the Ori.

But the summary is that both are insanely good and better then anything else I have heard beside my Kennerton Odin's. The Blackwoods are tonally perfect. And I mean perfect. They are not neutral or v shaped or any of that crap, they are toned as the human voice and real instruments are. Go to a live concert and listen to the same song on headphones at the same time. The tone on or off will be the same. Soundstage is huge for essentially closed cans and they go low and high and just grab you and suck you in. What the Ori do that the Blackwoods don't is maturity. There is a level of refinement and complexity conveyed that the Blackwoods do not attain. Subtle harmonics of wood instruments and the vibration of reeds that are astonishingly engaging and lifelike. Leading and trailing edges are more proper, more natural then the Blackwoods. But, the Ori has a hint of color saturation to its tone. It's a scootch warmer then the abjectly tonally perfect Blackwoods. I wish the Ori kept the tone of the Blackwoods but I would imagine that coloration comes with whatever was done to increase the headphones harmonic complexity. In the end, the emotional engagement and layering that the Ori provided overcame the tonal perfection that the Blackwoods bring to the table and I sold the Blackwoods. But it was NOT an easy decision.

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #48 of 76
Thanks Doc. I too love the Ori headphones. I got them a couple weeks ago and I'm waiting for a new table so that I may be able to run them balance through my air QX5/20

Sep 8, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #49 of 76
My intention is to find 2 pairs of headphones. One open and the best I can find, period. One closed and the best I can find, period. Lol. The closed are to be used while traveling and out in any public local so I can listen and both not be disturbed by my surroundings and not disturb others. For that purpose, I have ordered a Hugo 2 (just sold the Mojo) and plan on comparing my iPhone with a Hugo 2 against a dedicated dap like the Pioneer XDP-300r, Fiio X5 v3, Fiio X7 mk2, Onkyo dp-x1a, IBasso DX200. That will be my portable rig.

I recommend the Beyerdynamic T5P (if you are willing to spend $800 - $1000 on a headphone). They are IMO as accurate as it gets for a closed-back headphone. Detail, clarity and soundstage are second to none IMO. Deep accurate bass but not bloated, - just very accurate. Mid's are how they should be - smooth, detailed and clear. High's are extremely clear and the level of detail is astonishing..
They are certainly the best headphones i've ever heard.
Recommended.:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #50 of 76
Doc had this to say about Beyerdynamic:
Beyerdynamics T51i : floppy bass, muddled mids, rolled off highs. Blech. Flimsy.

How is the T51i different from the T5P?

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #52 of 76
Doc had this to say about Beyerdynamic:
Beyerdynamics T51i : floppy bass, muddled mids, rolled off highs. Blech. Flimsy.

How is the T51i different from the T5P?

I just posted about the T5P's because it seems to me that the OP might like them. They are not "on ear" headphones (if that's what he prefers) but they are 1 of the top 3 most expensive (price generally is a reflection of sound quality, after all!) portable closed-back headphones in the world.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #53 of 76
Hi. Sorry for the delay. I think I pretty much covered that when I posted my impressions of the Ori.

But the summary is that both are insanely good and better then anything else I have heard beside my Kennerton Odin's. The Blackwoods are tonally perfect. And I mean perfect. They are not neutral or v shaped or any of that crap, they are toned as the human voice and real instruments are. Go to a live concert and listen to the same song on headphones at the same time. The tone on or off will be the same. Soundstage is huge for essentially closed cans and they go low and high and just grab you and suck you in. What the Ori do that the Blackwoods don't is maturity. There is a level of refinement and complexity conveyed that the Blackwoods do not attain. Subtle harmonics of wood instruments and the vibration of reeds that are astonishingly engaging and lifelike. Leading and trailing edges are more proper, more natural then the Blackwoods. But, the Ori has a hint of color saturation to its tone. It's a scootch warmer then the abjectly tonally perfect Blackwoods. I wish the Ori kept the tone of the Blackwoods but I would imagine that coloration comes with whatever was done to increase the headphones harmonic complexity. In the end, the emotional engagement and layering that the Ori provided overcame the tonal perfection that the Blackwoods bring to the table and I sold the Blackwoods. But it was NOT an easy decision.
Thank you for your extended answer. I have ZMF Blackwood and I was looking at ZMF Ori and I wanted to know more

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #54 of 76
I'm loving the Ori's. For the first time in ages, I'm listening to headphone's a bit. The Ori's can be played with to fine tune if you want, but for me, I'm liking how they sound from the get go. My amp isn't broken in yet, but it still crushes anything I've heard so far.

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #55 of 76
Thanks to MassDrop, my Fischer headphones arrived last week.

Fischer Audio FA-011AE (over ear)

Fischer Audio Oldskool 33 1/3 (portable on ear)

The 33 1/3 are sub $75- portable on ear headphones. Pretty typically V shaped but a tad warmer in the middle then the norm. They are fine for casual listening or walking. I think they would fall off with jogging or any activity. Not bad, not special. I gave them to my 10 year old son. He’s thrilled!

The FA-011AE were around $365- on MassDrop (I have to pay sales tax since I’m in the same state MassDrop ships from). I’d put these as an * and a great option. They have a very clean and proper tone, nice extended highs (a bit brittle at times but I’m breaking them in and I think that will go away). Mids are not warm, not subdued. Really quite nice. And the lows are tight and extended with just enough sub bass. Quite a feat for a headphone in this price range. They are open, but unlike most open cans, if you cover them with your hands the tonal signature and soundstage just doesn’t change. At all. I would put these at the top of the list in this price range. And they are both gorgeous to look at and quite comfortable as well.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #56 of 76
I have started my comparison of DAP’s. This will not be nearly as extensive as my headphone comparison. I’m comparing three DAP’s to my iPhone/Chord Hugo2 DAC/headphone amp. Considering the Hugo2 is a $2500- DAC I am assuming that it will be triumphant. But these newer daps are very good. And they offer balanced outputs, which the Hugo2 does not.

Pioneer XDP-300r

Fiio X7 mk2

Onkyo dp-x1a

I have been burning in the Pioneer and Onkyo. The Fiio is due to arrive Wednesday. Same burn in process with same song list for each. Then I will compare. The comparison between Onkyo and Pioneer will happen this evening. And I will compare the winner to the iPhone/Hugo2. I will compare the better of the 2 DAP’s to the Fiio when it arrives.

I’ll report the findings.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #57 of 76
For those who are interested I decided to sell my ZMF Blackwood. These headphones are the best headphones I owned but I decided to go iem, because I do not have the time to listen to over head headphones. I just put them for sale on ebay

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #58 of 76
FYI - I compared specs between Onkyo and Pioneer. They appear to be the EXACT same product!

Same twin DAC chips. Same twin amplifier balanced module. Same microprocessor. Same software version. Same balanced and unbalanced outputs. Same packaging. Same wrapping. Same body. Same interface. Same design. Same software. Same everything. Just subtle differences in software aesthetics.

The ONLY difference is:

Pioneer - 432gb total with two 200gb micro cards plus the 32gb internal. $700-

Onkyo - 576gb total with two 256gb cards plus the 64gb internal. $550-

But proof will be in the listening. I’d be shocked if they are not identical. They should be.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #59 of 76
Wow. I realized I never posted my findings....

Ok, so the Onkyo and Pioneer are identical units. They are the same. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. I found the software in the Onkyo to be very subtly more stable; which is either luck of the draw or reality. Both were bested, unabashedly, by the Fiio 7mk2! The 7 was quicker to boot up, smoother in its operation, sounded WAY better, and was a better overall experience in every conceivable way!!! If you are considering the 3, go Fiio and don’t wast your time ever looking back!!!

That all said, all three were easily bested by my iPhone and my Chord Hugo 2. Balanced 2.5mm jack with a high end aftermarket cable using 3 different pairs of very good headphones. Same results. Hugo 2 is THAT good!

I am going to Capital Audio Fest and hope to audition some really high end DAP’s to compare to my Hugo 2 (which I will bring with me). But as of now, my Hugo 2 is here to stay.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #60 of 76
Thanks for hte findings. I ended up getting the Mojo as you know. I'm also waiting on the Macintosh DS50 I believe they will call it, to come out. Doc, please take a good listen in MD for me as you know my tastes and you know the Mojo. I like the look, size and add ons that the Mac offers. I want to like it a lot, but we all know what happens when you want to love something :wink:....That's why I am asking you to weed it out or tell me to run to hear it. Thanks.

Well, I am loving my Ori's with the awesome Audio Arts balanced cable into my Ayre QX5 DAC/amp. Best DAC/AMP I've ever heard and it's not close. Just highly musical. Open, airy, thundering sub bass when it's recorded and the mids are just clean, open and row M or so. I don't like sitting right up front. It's a large sound stage with tons of information. Non fatiguing to say the least.

I'm going to wait on a pair of CIEM"s from Empire Ears. I'm in touch with a reviewer who is outstanding (wish other reviewers were as good and thorough). He's given me some advice through my CIEM search. I like what I've heard about the whole EE line and I like their business model for long term stability. The IEM world is blowing up and EE is at the forefront as are some others like Noble. Just a wonderful company that we all will be hearing more about soon. Easy to find out what the sound sig of each of theirs sound like. They are helpful beyond belief and have as loyal a following as you can get in this industry. I just wanted to share for folks who are doing IEM/CIEM's. www.empireears.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back