64 Audio U12t vs Trio
Feb 10, 2021 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

jayanta2009

New Head-Fier
Dear head-fiers,

Going to purchase the U12t soon. Right now Audio46 and headphones.com are offering a great deal, it is 20% off on retail and think it will last till the Presidents day eod.

Does anyone of you has get a chance to compare between U12t and trio. Earlier I used Andromeda 2020 and liked it very much I heard U12t is quite a bit of step up from Andromeda specially in bass and clarity.

I mostly follow Andrew's review (Resolve) and think his reviews are most honest. He gave excellent reviews to U12t and praised it a lot, some can even swear it is the best from 64 Audio till date comparing the price to performance ration and it is a kind of end game what balanced armature drivers can do even in bass department.

Just to give an update I tried the NIO earlier and never liked it. With stock apex module (m15) the bass is almost to a point where you can mark it bloated and not that much clarity also, again it's my opinion, some likes the bass in NIO compared to U12t but it's not for me.

Planning to buy U12t + Dunu Blanche Cable + AudiQuest Dragonfly to setup a portable rig but welcome to replace with Trio if it is that much better than U12t.

Dunu blanche I think is a great cable with different modules where 1 cable is enough to use it with all outputs without changing also the aesthetics are pretty nice and much better the the Silver premium cable from 64 Audio.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
-Jay

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 44
Interested in this as well. I've been eyeing the Trio or U12t for my next purchase.

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 44
Interested in this as well. I've been eyeing the Trio or U12t for my next purchase.

Finally placed the order at headphones.com. After checking the reviews and some of the guys who actually listened, everyone thinks there is something unique about the u12t, it is clean transparent, detail retrieval is excellent at the same time it is enjoyable.

Also in Trio level there are many hybrid iems available, it has many competitors like Sony ier z1r, but that hone has a huge comfort issue so excluded. U12t is newer compared to Trio and comes with changeable Apex module which Trio doesn't have. Specially since I liked andromeda someone suggested it is kind of every way refined and better version of andromeda and fixes everything which the andromeda lacks.

I got a great deal at headphones.com when I ordered, got it for 1599 instead of 1999, also bought the Dunu Blanche and dragonfly Cobalt for a portable rig setup.

Will share my impression once I receive. Headphones.com seems really nice and they have great deals.

Anyone who listened to both of these iems, please share your thoughts on this.

Feb 13, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 44
I had both, first U12t and then Trio and i preferred Trio because it´s a little more transparent in details and brighter and soundstage is a tab wider. The DD in Trio gives a little more bass slam than U12t. You can´t go wrong with one or the other, both are fantastic. I ended up with Tia Fourte.

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 44
I’ve owned both too. Sold the Trio first and kept the U12t (selling that now as I’ve managed to get a pair of Fourte Noir).

Agree that they are both terrific and you can’t go wrong with either. If you need DD bass the Trio is great. It has pronounced sub bass but is shelved in the midbass. Mids are leaner and treble a light brighter, making it more dynamic. Details can get sibilant and vocals a little glassy; that’s why I sold it first (preferred female vocal, which is the majority of my material, on the U12t.

The U12t has a safer tuning. Sub bass and midbass are a little warmer and fuller, though it doesn’t have the DD punch. But it is amongst the best BA bass out there. The warmth and body extends to the mids making vocals sound inviting, yet clean and holographic. Treble is more controlled than Trio.

Trio is more the “on the stage / in your face” exciting sound and U12t is more “5 rows back / relaxed yet detailed” cohesive sound.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 44
Tia Trio and U12t are two greatly different IEMs.It greatly depends on the personal preference to the taste of your music.

As per Zeos from Z reviews had said, Tia Trio is a musical delight to have, where U12t is a tool of trade. You may use U12t to reproduce totally accurate music straight out of the studio. Tia Trio or even the Tia Fourte reproduce music from a the tuning preference from 64Audio, adding much flavour to your music. U12t is a organic plate fresh veggies from the garden, where Tia Trio is a plate of richly flavoured and savoury plate of veggies made from Michelin Starred Chefs.

U12t is neutral to slightly U shaped tuning where Tia Trio is V shaped tuning.

U12t packs a punch in terms of BA bass, Tia Trio has DD bass that can't be matched. (As xenithon had said before)

Hope I can help to choose with those imaginary explanations, :)

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 44
I’ve owned both too. Sold the Trio first and kept the U12t (selling that now as I’ve managed to get a pair of Fourte Noir).

Agree that they are both terrific and you can’t go wrong with either. If you need DD bass the Trio is great. It has pronounced sub bass but is shelved in the midbass. Mids are leaner and treble a light brighter, making it more dynamic. Details can get sibilant and vocals a little glassy; that’s why I sold it first (preferred female vocal, which is the majority of my material, on the U12t.

The U12t has a safer tuning. Sub bass and midbass are a little warmer and fuller, though it doesn’t have the DD punch. But it is amongst the best BA bass out there. The warmth and body extends to the mids making vocals sound inviting, yet clean and holographic. Treble is more controlled than Trio.

Trio is more the “on the stage / in your face” exciting sound and U12t is more “5 rows back / relaxed yet detailed” cohesive sound.

Thank you so much for sharing the details. On the brighter side I got a great deal on the U12t, so can resale it when I decide to get a better one. I like what you mentioned about the "5 rows back relaxed yet detailed" part. That's what I prefer more. Had to purchase it soon as the deal of 20% off at headphones.com was there for a very limited period of time.

It's great that you got the Noir, that one was the most priciest and limited edition iem from 64 audio, so believe it must be terrific.

Do you have any preference on any portable amp to use with U12t ? Initially I was thinking of getting a mojo, didn't buy it because of the RF noise issue and I think very soon chord might release a mojo 2 since it's been more than 5 years they released the mojo. For now thinking of using the dragonfly cobalt with iPhone.

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 44
I had both, first U12t and then Trio and i preferred Trio because it´s a little more transparent in details and brighter and soundstage is a tab wider. The DD in Trio gives a little more bass slam than U12t. You can´t go wrong with one or the other, both are fantastic. I ended up with Tia Fourte.
Thank you so much for sharing. For now got the U12t this is my iem after the campfire audio andromeda, hope it would be an worthy upgrade.

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 44
Tia Trio and U12t are two greatly different IEMs.It greatly depends on the personal preference to the taste of your music.

As per Zeos from Z reviews had said, Tia Trio is a musical delight to have, where U12t is a tool of trade. You may use U12t to reproduce totally accurate music straight out of the studio. Tia Trio or even the Tia Fourte reproduce music from a the tuning preference from 64Audio, adding much flavour to your music. U12t is a organic plate fresh veggies from the garden, where Tia Trio is a plate of richly flavoured and savoury plate of veggies made from Michelin Starred Chefs.

U12t is neutral to slightly U shaped tuning where Tia Trio is V shaped tuning.

U12t packs a punch in terms of BA bass, Tia Trio has DD bass that can't be matched. (As xenithon had said before)

Hope I can help to choose with those imaginary explanations, :)

Thanks for posting, that really helps to get the idea but still difficult to choose as you mentioned they both are good but in different ways. As I replied to xenithon and T1000, for now purchased the u12t, let's hope it's worth over the andromeda which I was using so far. For now let's test the organic plate fresh veggies from the garden :beyersmile:

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 44
....i loved the green andro too, U12t is a massive upgrade to andro, hope you´ll enjoy it.

Feb 13, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 44
i'm also looking these two and after what you guys shared, i'll probably go with the U12t and hopefully it's worth the upgrade over my current AKG N5005
Surely it will be a good upgrade, these are in different league compared to AKG n5005. It is just when you buy don't pay the retail of 1999, if you shop around they are often given good deals like I got it for 20% off from headphones.com. Audio46 was also having the same deal a few days back and I think both the shops are great in terms of support. You can talk to them before you purchase to get a good deal and 64 audio support is also pretty responsive and good.

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 44
Any comparisons between them and the UM MEST? That's what I currently have and I don't know if it's worth it to get different IEMs.

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 44
Any comparisons between them and the UM MEST? That's what I currently have and I don't know if it's worth it to get different IEMs.
What do you not like about the Mest?

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 44
What do you not like about the Mest?
Nothing that I "don't like", just wondering if either of the other ones would perform better or offer anything different that I would enjoy more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back