64 Audio Shootout - Nio. Trio. Fourte. Noir
Mar 2, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #76 of 87
Can you explain what is the weirdness in the Fourte midrange is referring to? Perhaps compare against some other iems that are considered having a more ‘normal’ midrange sound? Honest questions, as I really can’t and don’t find the Fourte midrange weird sounding.

Fourte is like a surround sound filter activated but kinda feel more natural than those software based

The only problem I had was with center image my brain forms and it was like I had to focus for center image on some music.

I like trio more

tiafourte.jpg

If I had to take a guess, dhruvmeena's talking about the 600-1000hZ dip in conjunction with the 3-4kHz dip. The Fourte has two dips, whereas most other IEMs only have one (or none at all throughout the midrange). Dipping frequency response can often impart a sense of spaciousness, and the Fourte's incredible staging is partly to attribute to this.

It might help to explain more closely. When you have two speakers setup side-to-side correctly, there should be the illusion of a "third" speaker in the center which is what's generally called the "center image". In layman's terms, this is soundstage depth. To me, it sounds like there is an inner pocket of sorts to the Fourte's center image. Stuff that tokens the back of the stage doesn't resonate as sonic-wall free despite the excellent perceived depth; stuff that's generally more forward - so vocals - are somewhat hazy in image distinction. They're difficult to visualize in my head.

I think you have the U12t or have at least listened to it? Maybe trying A/B-ing them if you get the chance. The 12t has one of the strongest center images that I've heard, albeit without the soundstage height that the Fourte has. The easiest way to pick it up, at least for me, is by trying to pinpoint on the stage where the vocalist is coming from. That said, I wouldn't worry about it if you don't hear it. Everyone hears these things differently. For example, a few people have told me they hear the Sony IER-M9 as having incredible center image diffusal which, honestly, I completely disagree with haha.

I find the Fourte is very track dependent. You're almost never quite sure how it's going to present a track until you hear it. Maybe that's the 'weirdness' people talk about. It's not a predictable 'this sound goes there' type IEM, which is part of the appeal for me. That said, I've always found vocals to be quite natural - if a touch ethereal - with Fourte, though again it's very track and recording dependent. What I can say without hesitation is that everything Fourte does it does at an exceptionally high level, and it's given me the highest number of 'wow' moments I've had from any piece of audio gear.

Devoid of tonality, Fourte's midrange is close to what I'd call ethereal too! It has a very pleasing tactility to its transients with the same, slightly rounded attack as some of 64A's other IEMs but with more micro-texture to my ears.

Mar 2, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #77 of 87

If I had to take a guess, dhruvmeena's talking about the 600-1000hZ dip in conjunction with the 3-4kHz dip. The Fourte has two dips, whereas most other IEMs only have one (or none at all throughout the midrange). Dipping frequency response can often impart a sense of spaciousness, and the Fourte's incredible staging is partly to attribute to this.

It might help to explain more closely. When you have two speakers setup side-to-side correctly, there should be the illusion of a "third" speaker in the center which is what's generally called the "center image". In layman's terms, this is soundstage depth. To me, it sounds like there is an inner pocket of sorts to the Fourte's center image. Stuff that tokens the back of the stage doesn't resonate as sonic-wall free despite the excellent perceived depth; stuff that's generally more forward - so vocals - are somewhat hazy in image distinction. They're difficult to visualize in my head.

I think you have the U12t or have at least listened to it? Maybe trying A/B-ing them if you get the chance. The 12t has one of the strongest center images that I've heard, albeit without the soundstage height that the Fourte has. The easiest way to pick it up, at least for me, is by trying to pinpoint on the stage where the vocalist is coming from. That said, I wouldn't worry about it if you don't hear it. Everyone hears these things differently. For example, a few people have told me they hear the Sony IER-M9 as having incredible center image diffusal which, honestly, I completely disagree with haha.

Devoid of tonality, Fourte's midrange is close to what I'd call ethereal too! It has a very pleasing tactility to its transients with the same, slightly rounded attack as some of 64A's other IEMs but with more micro-texture to my ears.
Yes... I am talking about that but I tried to not write frequency ranges because then I have to answer why it happens and unfortunately I am not really good at explaining.

It creates a defocus, everything is tame and well outside the ear but when I listen carefully, there is disconnection at front center. It's more like a surround sound filter on computer activated but is not jarring as the digital implementation.

For Trio, I feel, the tuning is better and due to that, the tubeless system or I would say huge air buffer system to reduce occulusion effect and increase interaural time difference(effect of using shell as woofer sound guide) of woofer actually works better as it gives a sense of room.

I used to own U12T and it's still a legend, but then I shifted on making my own iem for fun and never turned back lmao

Mar 2, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #78 of 87
I personally do not find it weird sounding. However weird is obviously a subjective term. Just from comparing against other IEMs the midrange of the Fourte sits further back from the overall mix. It has a touch hollowness compared to something like the Odins which are more mid forward and layered. However, this property does give the Fourtes their obvious advantage of scale, space and ethereal presence but some users may find a disconnect in engagement/emotiveness from this .
The huge stage and precise center focus was the first thing I noticed when I demo’ed the Fourte which was a older used set (I have since gotten a new set with the latest re-brand).
I also have the Odin. For me the Fourte midrange is more natural. I believe Odin midrange is result of intended tuning. I love both.

Mar 2, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #79 of 87
I think what he's referring to is that there is some times some swallowed notes or very faint sounding ones... It did happen to me before with older tia fourte.

I am not yet 100% sure but I feel there been done slight retuning touches with the latest latest fourte releases.
As mine is brand new and sounds more coherent and linear then before. Of course this is all based on memory.

To me the new fourte seems less bright and more linear!

If I am lucky I will eventually meet up with a friend who has the older version for comparison.
Would love to hear any differences between the older and newer sets of the tia Fourte. Not sure I can still get a hand on the older demo set that I tried but I will do a compare as well if it’s still available.

I don’t know about the internal but I noticed the latest Fourte’s external shell has a different texture. It is different to the same texture of the Nio, U12t, Trio and older Fourte.

Mar 2, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #80 of 87
I always loved fourte for their unique abilities that none iem on the market has. Ierz1r are also one iem I consider on the realm that nears the fourté.
But for me fourte leaps beyond and above tor a few aspects that only fourte has. Apex, tia ba, individual acoustical air chambers.

Also fourte in my book is a better iem to do it all, if you want 1 iem and that plays all genres at its best none can beat forte for that.

I can say forte has amazing natural life like sound reproduction, if you pair them with stock cable it will have the best results for this exact purpose to be the most fidel and transparant possible.

There is alway cable rolling unlimited possibilities to achieve your preference.

I had fourte paired with 1z before, that was couple years ago. Now after all my journey back to fourte but this time with sp2000 copper.
I find this pairup very seductive lucrative and slightly intimate too.
Sp2kcu gives fourte a good bass in perfect quantities so you have the fun and playful desires covered. Pair it with a full Copper and voila even more bass if it was not enough 😎

Also sp2kcu has a very crucial key component for og. It makes it treble perfect! Fourte are very peaky for bad treble and sp2kcu nails it! I still added a copper cable to further refine the spike snd make it even more smoothered.

It almost feels like og and sp2kcu where born to be together.

Mar 2, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #81 of 87
Would love to hear any differences between the older and newer sets of the tia Fourte. Not sure I can still get a hand on the older demo set that I tried but I will do a compare as well if it’s still available.

I don’t know about the internal but I noticed the latest Fourte’s external shell has a different texture. It is different to the same texture of the Nio, U12t, Trio and older Fourte.

Hey I saw the exact same thing! I also have a feeling that the shell while is the same but seems to make the eartip bore lower from the silicone eartip snd the square forme of the shell see where it has the line that ends on the flat internal side. Like from the bore down it has an angled wall then it's a flat shell of the maine bodie. That angle there seems to be higher, making the internal chambers more room maybe.

I suspect there have been silent enhancements to further improve the tuning for all the complaints in sound we had.
I will only be able to confirm this once I do ab tests

Mar 2, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #82 of 87
I always loved fourte for their unique abilities that none iem on the market has. Ierz1r are also one iem I consider on the realm that nears the fourté.
But for me fourte leaps beyond and above tor a few aspects that only fourte has. Apex, tia ba, individual acoustical air chambers.

Also fourte in my book is a better iem to do it all, if you want 1 iem and that plays all genres at its best none can beat forte for that.

I can say forte has amazing natural life like sound reproduction, if you pair them with stock cable it will have the best results for this exact purpose to be the most fidel and transparant possible.

There is alway cable rolling unlimited possibilities to achieve your preference.

I had fourte paired with 1z before, that was couple years ago. Now after all my journey back to fourte but this time with sp2000 copper.
I find this pairup very seductive lucrative and slightly intimate too.
Sp2kcu gives fourte a good bass in perfect quantities so you have the fun and playful desires covered. Pair it with a full Copper and voila even more bass if it was not enough 😎

Also sp2kcu has a very crucial key component for og. It makes it treble perfect! Fourte are very peaky for bad treble and sp2kcu nails it! I still added a copper cable to further refine the spike snd make it even more smoothered.

It almost feels like og and sp2kcu where born to be together.
+1 on Fourte + Sp2k-cu great pairing

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #84 of 87
Superb review. I just reread it, esp the parts on Fourte and Noir, as I'm trying to come to grips with these two.

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #85 of 87
Superb review. I just reread it, esp the parts on Fourte and Noir, as I'm trying to come to grips with these two.
It’s indeed an awesome review. Look forward to your feedback. It’s fascinating how we all hear things differently and derive enjoyment differently.

I prefer Noir whole @gLer prefers OG. though one thing that’s common between them (other than sharing 64’s family genes) is they are both quite polarizing. You either like them or you don’t, generally nothing in between. It’s hard to be “indifferent” to these siblings!

You may also find, as I have seen quite often, is that you prefer one but can appreciate the other. If you like the general sound they’re aiming for it usually comes down to tuning preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back