The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 19, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #1,067 of 23,532
I thought they were the same size, just with the different faceplate art (correct me if I'm wrong, amigos?)

Yes U18 and Fourte are exact same size.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #1,069 of 23,532
Fourte vs U18

64audio_fourt-37.jpg

64audio_fourt-38.jpg

64audio_fourt-39.jpg

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #1,071 of 23,532
On Tuesday last week, I met with a Head-Fi member who had posted his B-Stock tia Fourté on the Classifieds. I had my first-ever audition experience before buying. Living in Kansas City, that just never gets to happen. But this member was also from KC, so it worked out beautifully.

It took all of five minutes for me to say, "Ok. I'm done listening. I'll buy them."

$2,200 later, and I was on my way home, tia Fourté in my ears.

Here are some recent thoughts I shared in Nic's TOTL shootout thread.

tia Fourté is not a replacement for my U12. It does not fulfill that deep warmth I love. So I'll need to keep the U12 around.

tia Fourté is much more like Noble Audio Encore. It is Encore Ultra. Takes all of Encore's strengths, in transparency, detail, soundstage, treble, resolution, and takes it up a couple notches. Plus, the dynamic bass easily bests those BAs Encore uses.

tia Fourté is an awful lot like the Sennheiser HD800. Soundstage is nearly on the same level, as is separation and resolution. There are a lot of similarities with the bass too, in quantity, depth, and articulation. Fourté has more treble sparkle, though, making notes vividly pop in a pleasant way.

Fourté is not a warm IEM. But it has a great sense of musicality, due in large part to that dynamic-driven bass. The treble is bright, but not shouty. I also don't consider it "splashy", as some folk say. There is nice sparkle, and it has a more natural sound than Encore.

It's very difficult to compare this with U12 because they are so different. On every "technical level", Fourté outperforms U12. The same is true of Encore. Bass is the only thing U12 does better than Encore. And yet, I tend to favor the U12 more than Encore most of the time. But sometimes I just really want that clarity and transparency.

tia Fourté is Encore Ultra, but also has more natural lows than U12, so in some ways it the best of both worlds... but not entirely. Not if warmth is what you crave. U12 is still the best for that.

On normal popular music like rock and pop, tia Fourté is a step or two above U12 or Encore. But when you throw on something like Binaural recordings, such as Amber Rubarth, Fourté expands in stage and quality to a transcendent degree. It leaves the others in the dust. It's simply capable of so much more.

Fourte 01.jpg

Fourte & Opus2 03.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #1,072 of 23,532
On Tuesday last week, I met with a Head-Fi member who had posted his B-Stock tia Fourté on the Classifieds. I had my first-ever audition experience before buying. Living in Kansas City, that just never gets to happen. But this member was also from KC, so it worked out beautifully.

It took all of five minutes for me to say, "Ok. I'm done listening. I'll buy them."

$2,200 later, and I was on my way home, tia Fourté in my ears.

Here are some recent thoughts I shared in Nic's TOTL shootout thread.

Fourté is not a warm IEM. But it has a great sense of musicality, due in large part to that dynamic-driven bass. The treble is bright, but not shouty. I also don't consider it "splashy", as some folk say. There is nice sparkle, and it has a more natural sound than Encore.

It's very difficult to compare this with U12 because they are so different. On every "technical level", Fourté outperforms U12. The same is true of Encore. Bass is the only thing U12 does better than Encore. And yet, I tend to favor the U12 more than Encore most of the time. But sometimes I just really want that clarity and transparency.

tia Fourté is Encore Ultra, but also has more natural lows than U12, so in some ways it the best of both worlds... but not entirely. Not if warmth is what you crave. U12 is still the best for that.

On normal popular music like rock and pop, tia Fourté is a step or two above U12 or Encore. But when you throw on something like Binaural recordings, such as Amber Rubarth, Fourté expands in stage and quality to a transcendent degree. It leaves the others in the dust. It's simply capable of so much more.

Thanks for those comments. I have been gravitating toward the Dita Dream this last week. Last night I did some detailed comparisons between the Dream (350 hours) and the Fourte (300 hours), both balanced (350 hours) out of the 1z on the same Dita Truth awesome cable silver (400 hours). Noble blue bore tips on both. They are both stellar in ears. The Fourte however has a richer and more natural tone and timbre. More depth, and height, overall a larger stage. The Dream has more air between the instruments. The vocal on the Fourte is more natural, the vocal on the Dream has a dryer tone that is very nice and articulate. Both great in ears, In my opinion Fourte is better.....and twice the cost.

Pinky - can you please tell me what tips you have on the Fourte, and also how does it pair with that plusound cable. It sure looks the part.

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #1,073 of 23,532
Pinky - can you please tell me what tips you have on the Fourte, and also how does it pair with that plusound cable. It sure looks the part.

Those tips are the MandarinEs Symbio W (Wide Bore). They are hybrid tips. The perfect seal of foam, but the outer silicon saves you from the sound absorption that occurs with foam, which causes the IEM to sound soft and kind of dull. Instead everything is clean and impactful. The bore is wide enough not to pinch the sound in any way. It's probably the closest thing you'll find to custom fit in universal form.

The cable I'm using is plusSound's newest X-Series Gold-Plated Copper Litz. It helps to elevate the warmth and bass a bit, without sacrificing clarity and transparency. A really good pairing for Encore and Fourté.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #1,074 of 23,532
Thanks for those comments. I have been gravitating toward the Dita Dream this last week. Last night I did some detailed comparisons between the Dream (350 hours) and the Fourte (300 hours), both balanced (350 hours) out of the 1z on the same Dita Truth awesome cable silver (400 hours). Noble blue bore tips on both. They are both stellar in ears. The Fourte however has a richer and more natural tone and timbre. More depth, and height, overall a larger stage. The Dream has more air between the instruments. The vocal on the Fourte is more natural, the vocal on the Dream has a dryer tone that is very nice and articulate. Both great in ears, In my opinion Fourte is better.....and twice the cost.

My Favourite cable and Tip pairing for BOTH IEMs by a mile :)

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #1,075 of 23,532
Those tips are the MandarinEs Symbio W (Wide Bore). They are hybrid tips. The perfect seal of foam, but the outer silicon saves you from the sound absorption that occurs with foam, which causes the IEM to sound soft and kind of dull. Instead everything is clean and impactful. The bore is wide enough not to pinch the sound in any way. It's probably the closest thing you'll find to custom fit in universal form.

The cable I'm using is plusSound's newest X-Series Gold-Plated Copper Litz. It helps to elevate the warmth and bass a bit, without sacrificing clarity and transparency. A really good pairing for Encore and Fourté.

Thank you, tips ordered.

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #1,076 of 23,532
Did anybody compare CA Vega with U12 and / or K10? These are my choices of picking (around same price tag)

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #1,077 of 23,532

Thanks for the info.

Do they have smaller internal bore tips for SHURE KSE1500 ?

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #1,078 of 23,532
Recently ordered the U18 and preemptively thinking about a balanced cable to pair with them. I'll be waiting to order a balanced cable until I receive the IEMs and give a listen with the 64 Audio premium cable, but would love to get any thoughts, recommendations, etc so I can start to do some research.

The plusSound X-Series above look nice and I do like qualities listed - although the above is paired with the Fourté and not sure how that will affect the qualities of the U18 - but I like the fact that the plusSound cable doesn't have any memory wire.

In any case - thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #1,079 of 23,532
Just a quick update, i had to re-visit my U4-SE review since I received an older shell which used to support both modules, while the latest Summer Sale Clearance (U4-SE on sale for $486) is for APEX U4-SE only. The review update reflects these changes, and you can find it either on my blog or on Head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back