64 Audio A18 Tzar (TM) Impressions Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours)
Nov 10, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #226 of 286
Wow, these look awesome. Thanks so much for sharing. How's sound signature using 8-wire vs 4-wire vs 64 audio stock cable?
Do you feel the vast improvement?
just now sitting down to figure out logistics to compare cables. Went for 8 wire immediately as it looks like jewelry and love the sound. However, going back and forth with IEM cables takes time to switch making ABing directly difficult. Will have a better idea in the next few days. As for the standard cable vs. 8 wire, the standard isn't bad, but the Prima is definitely better. I feel it adds a richness to the A18 signature and picks up some nuances in the music that I wasn't hearing before. Cable improvements are reasonably subtle taking time to appreciate. But I can already tell that going back to the standard cable will be painful. The ergonomics on the other hand..... that weave beyond looking like $1MM adds a body to the cable that keeps it from tangling yet feels/hangs natural vs. having a cord wrapped around your neck. This is the first cable that I have attached to the A18 that adds to the look and feel rather than reduce the esthetics.

Nov 10, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #227 of 286
QUOTE="dhc0329, post: 13840468, member: 68963"]I received my A18 after refit work. 64 Audio also added another resister under my bass speakers to bring down the decibel level.
The bass appears to be more controlled, defined and tight. Not too overpowering and bloated like the original piece. I could now use m20 module with no issue.

Has anyone tried prima donna cable on A18? Do you think this is worth it?
http://www.beataudiolab.com/products/prima-donna-beat-audio-premium-upgrade-cable?taxon_id=22#

[/QUOTE]

Oh those just looks burriful... :heart_eyes:

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #228 of 286
If you are in the US, you can find out for yourself in my Beat Audio US upgrade CIEM cable tour. We are close to kicking it off with a nice tour kit including the Prima Donna in 4 wire as well as 8 wire plus other cables from their lineup to compare as well:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bea...s-head-fi-tour-starting-november-2017.863166/

I am currently running my A18s on the Prima Donna 8 wire and working my way through the rest of their lineup. Although early in my impressions, I can tell you that they drip luxury with awesome ergonomics that make them special.

Really beautiful cable ,

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #229 of 286
I just received the 8-wire prima donna cable with a great anticipation today. Does anyone know what would be the expected burn-in period?
I am not sure if it's about the combination (Wmi1z + A18 + 8w (4.4mm) prima donna) but so far I am not sensing any improvement over stock cable.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #230 of 286
I am starting my Beat Audio tour and have been listening to the Prima Donna for a couple weeks now with my A18. At first, like you, I didn't feel there was any appreciable increase in SQ. But over the course of the last two weeks, I hear a significant difference that is making me dread the start of the tour and having to send them out. Cables are really the last few percent in performance so everything in the chain before them has to be perfect - including your mood and the setting for listening. It might be cable burn-in, but more likely brain burn-in or time to hear the songs in the right circumstance.

I am also listening through my Hugo2 which I feel is a huge step up from my Calyx M, AK100ii, or my WM1A. The Sony has not been my favorite match with my A18, but does sound good. However, the Hugo is so much better, my DAPs are currently collecting dust.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #231 of 286
I hear what you are saying...Initially I thought wmiz was the ultimate dap but after hooking up MDR-Z1R to old Sony x1061 I found 1Z to be so dull.
Everything sound so exciting hearing Z1R with x1061. I know Z1R is a full can but after getting used it while I was waiting for the prima cable, it's
unbearable to switch to A18 with 8-wire cable.

I am not sure if 1Z has a good synergy with Z1R or A18. Not sure what would be the best match for this expensive dap at the moment.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #234 of 286
To A18 owners - if I may ask, are you all completely satisfy with your fit. I have occasional leak (broken seal) on my right side but
is this considered normal?

What causes the broken seal? Is it when you yawn? Chew food? Sometimes those two mouth movements have broken the seal, on both my right and left... if the seal is broken when you talk regularly, then you may need a refit...

I have small ears, so the fit so far has worked well for me. I sent them a new ear impression because the one on file was several years old...

Hope this helps....

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #235 of 286
Dec 13, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #240 of 286
What causes the broken seal? Is it when you yawn? Chew food? Sometimes those two mouth movements have broken the seal, on both my right and left... if the seal is broken when you talk regularly, then you may need a refit...

I have small ears, so the fit so far has worked well for me. I sent them a new ear impression because the one on file was several years old...

Hope this helps....

At the first insert it feels alright but after a while especially when I lift my chin up high or severe head movement to left, I feel a pop on my left side ear only.
I will make another ear impression and will send it in for a refit. Other than fit issue, A18 sounds out of this world. It's a match made in heaven with AK SP1000.
The clarity and base response are superb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back