`
Sep 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #226 of 254
Quote:
Try Jan 2012 for first look on the Amperior: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMV-LVFrYng  "This will be on the market in March".
September for Momentum.

Ah, okay. I get what confused me. I will remove the amperior if the silver and blue variants sound the same.

It went like this: 
  1. MARCH: Blue Original Amperior Launched
  2. JUNE: Silver Apple Store Amperior Launched (Any difference in SQ from original?)
  3. SEPTEMBER: MOMENTUM Launched

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #227 of 254
Ah, okay. I get what confused me. I will remove the amperior if the silver and blue variants sound the same.

It went like this: 
  • MARCH: Blue Original Amperior Launched
  • JUNE: Silver Apple Store Amperior Launched (Any difference in SQ from original?)
  • SEPTEMBER: MOMENTUM Launched

I think silver and blue are the same...I don't see any reason why they would be different.
The Apple Stores in my area sell the blue Amperior too.

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #229 of 254
Quote:
I will remove the amperior from the list then as well with the reset.

Maybe I wasn't clear.  A press release might have stated they would be out in March, but we all know about misinformation regarding release dates.  They didn't come out until mid June.  The blue and silver are one and the same Amperior, just different colors.  They were BOTH released at the same time exclusively through Apple Stores IN JUNE.  Only now are they being made available through other retailers.

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #231 of 254
Quote:
.. Well... I will let you debate with the person who says otherwise - as I myself can't find any detailed information on the exact release date of either model. Assuming you are right though, I'll keep it in.

I can say I know this for a fact since I ordered within 24 hours of them being posted on Apple's web site as I was closely following their launch.  I logged into my Apple account today to verify the order date.  Ultimately, not a big deal.  I just want you to have accurate info.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #232 of 254
Quote:
Maybe I wasn't clear.  A press release might have stated they would be out in March, but we all know about misinformation regarding release dates.  They didn't come out until mid June.  The blue and silver are one and the same Amperior, just different colors.  They were BOTH released at the same time exclusively through Apple Stores IN JUNE.  Only now are they being made available through other retailers.

Haha, I can't believe you are now arguing on availability.
Most Mad Dogs are still not shipped BTW. So that makes it rarer than the Amperior, and definitely released later.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613576/mad-dog-by-mrspeakers-modified-fostex-t50rp-review

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #233 of 254
Thing is, Mad Dogs are a mod on an existing headphone that has been out for a while. It's a new mod, but not a new headphone. As amazing as they sound, I can't add them to the list.

If enough people think it should be considered as a new headphone, despite being a mod, I may add it.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #234 of 254
Quote:
Thing is, Mad Dogs are a mod on an existing headphone that has been out for a while. It's a new mod, but not a new headphone. As amazing as they sound, I can't add them to the list.

If enough people think it should be considered as a new headphone, despite being a mod, I may add it.

Mad Dogs is a new commercially available product. You can purchase it online, and you get a 15-day return policy. Just like how a V-MODA M-100 is improved (modded) on from previous parts and experiences. Of course the M-100 probably has more new parts that are made from other parts. 

Isn't this thread about discussing the most current Mid-Fi headphones, and hopefully find matches for fellow Head-Fiers?

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #235 of 254
Quote:
Isn't this thread about discussing the most current Mid-Fi headphones, and hopefully find matches for fellow Head-Fiers?

I know - and it is. But I don't want to be adding headphones left right and center. There needs to be a set of requirements and such. If others agree to it, I will add the Mad Dogs - but there may be some who disagree with it, and I want to hear 'em out. 

Jeeze.. there's just too many headphones coming out all at once..

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #237 of 254
Quote:
My honest opinion is that the poll isn't required. The only thing the poll can truly do here is to capture what people purchased. Who would ever listen to all the headphones on the poll.

You can just organise the review links and comparison on the 1st page.

I was hoping that once impressions were out for all of the headphones on the list, people could read them and comment on which sounded like it was the best.

Since the entire point is to compare headphones, the end result would usually lead to the person buying the one they felt came out on top, right? I wouldn't mind the poll being used to see which one users picked in the end, that would still help in its own way.

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #238 of 254
The M-100 is still at the top of my list...the other headphones seem to be made for the "premium headphone consumer" (à la Beats Pro), where gobs of bass are welcome.

Also, it seems to be the general consensus from initial reviews that Sony's new XB line falls short of expectations (most of those models sounding worse than the previous models).
More impressions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629433/new-sony-extra-bass-mdr-xb600-mdr-xb800-unboxing-videos#post_8734783

I'm hoping the MDR-1 isn't such a disappointment. Jude has his photo unboxing on the front page if you didn't see it. Knowing Jude, he'll likely write a positive review for the MDR-1.

I wonder what the mass of the M-100 will be. The Momentum was super, super light as an over-ear headphone (190 g), and it seems that the MDR-1 is also pretty light at 231 g.

1. M-100
2. MDR-1
3. I can't make up my mind anymore...to me, the mid-fi headphones seem to get less interesting as time goes on :/

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #239 of 254
Quote:
The M-100 is still at the top of my list...the other headphones seem to be made for the "premium headphone consumer" (à la Beats Pro), where gobs of bass are welcome.
Also, it seems to be the general consensus from initial reviews that Sony's new XB line falls short of expectations (most of those models sounding worse than the previous models).
More impressions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629433/new-sony-extra-bass-mdr-xb600-mdr-xb800-unboxing-videos#post_8734783
I'm hoping the MDR-1 isn't such a disappointment. Jude has his photo unboxing on the front page if you didn't see it. Knowing Jude, he'll likely write a positive review for the MDR-1.
I wonder what the mass of the M-100 will be. The Momentum was super, super light as an over-ear headphone (190 g), and it seems that the MDR-1 is also pretty light at 231 g.
1. M-100
2. MDR-1
3. I can't make up my mind anymore...to me, the mid-fi headphones seem to get less interesting as time goes on :/

I still have just a select few others in the running as well, but they won't be out for about a month:

AKG Tiesto K267
Yamaha Pro 500
Ultrasone Signature DJ (available through Ultrasone, but at list price)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back