60s and 70s Progressive Rock Appreciation Thread
Jan 29, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #46 of 60
I used to know the lyrics to Suppers Ready off by heart
bigsmile_face.gif
. Greg Lake is my favourite prog vocalist and it is toss up between Roger Waters and Peter Gabriel who is the best lyricist.

But most of the time I treat vocals as another instrument rather than listen to them.

Me too. I never like it when all the other instruments are used as a support for the vocals, like in a lot of pop music. Imo the vocals should be just as important as any other instrument.

However, the only thing that can make the vocals more important is the lyrical content. This is what can give (deeper) meaning to a song. It's often worth it to really look closely at the lyrics of a good song at least once.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #47 of 60
Lyrics are important to me. It's a big part of my distaste for pop music.
I don't care what clubs these people are singing about, nor the amount of alcohol they want to consume, or what rebecca black does on a friday...

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #48 of 60
Early morning Moonmadness is great.

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #49 of 60
This band probably influenced Peter Gabriel, or at least it sounds like this.
Family - Voyage (1968)
awesome, awesome band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tG2Kc6dHbo

From their second album Family Entertainment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--BtEE2f9Ck

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #50 of 60
I saw Yes in concert for the first time a few months back.  One of the tightest groups I've seen. Some of the new tunes weren't bad either. If you ever get a chance to see them, I'd recommend going while they're still standing!

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #51 of 60
I saw Yes three times back in the day. All I remember of any of it was the house lights going down and the hall suddenly being filled with pot smoke. From there on it's a blur.

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #52 of 60

Quote:
I saw Yes three times back in the day. All I remember of any of it was the house lights going down and the hall suddenly being filled with pot smoke. From there on it's a blur.

That's hilarious. Now you can't even smoke cigarettes!

Jun 24, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #54 of 60
Is Ambrosia progressive rock? I have most of their albums on vinyl. Always considered them amazing and surprising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back