<$600 Headphones
Mar 28, 2014 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

tehsprayer

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for headphones for under $600, preferably in the $300 range. I was thinking of getting closed for university so people wouldn't get bothered by music. But the only pair are the mad dogs pros (I think). I have the Vali and Modi to drive headphones off of.

Are open headphones better than closed? Like will the HE-400 be better than the Mad dogs but at the same price. If I can get headphones that blow the mad dogs away I may just have to get an open pair. HE-400i or HE-500 are a lot better than mad dogs? Is the Alpha Dog better than the HE-500s?

What I am asking is for the best closed pair my budget can handle. But if there is a headphones that is good with Vali and Modi and blows the Mad Dogs out of the water I might have to get open headphones again (I have 990s)

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 27
The HE-400 are a great pair of headphones. Excellent detail resolution. And as open headphones, a bigger, more immersive soundstage than any closed headphones.

But not suitable if you don't want to hear your environment around you, and you don't want people to hear what you are listening to. In that case, you need closed.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 27
You can get the open planar HE-500 B-stock from Razordog for $495.  That can't be beat within your budget, but I doubt that the Vali can properly drive it (but Schiit claims the Magni can).

Excellent closed cans within your budget (all easy to drive) include the Alpha Dogs, Sony MDR 7520, Focal Spirit Professional and NAD VISO HP50.  The Fostex TH 600 is above your budget.

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 27
  You can get the open planar HE-500 B-stock from Razordog for $495.  That can't be beat within your budget, but I doubt that the Vali can properly drive it (but Schiit claims the Magni can).

Excellent closed cans within your budget (all easy to drive) include the Alpha Dogs, Sony MDR 7520, Focal Spirit Professional and NAD VISO HP50.  The Fostex TH 600 is above your budget.

How do the alpha dogs compare to the HE-500. I'm just worried that the alpha dogs are just modded t50rp which are only $100 cans. While the HE-500 are truly superior with their drivers. I would prefer a closed pair but if the HE-500s are day and night difference then I would get them.

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 27
I love the MD, AD and MDP but I would use them as portable. They are on the large side and need a good amp to sound their best. You'll want something that will amp more easily and be lighter/more comfy for portable use.

Consider:

Sony mdr-7520

Focal Spirit

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 27

How do the alpha dogs compare to the HE-500. I'm just worried that the alpha dogs are just modded t50rp which are only $100 cans. While the HE-500 are truly superior with their drivers. I would prefer a closed pair but if the HE-500s are day and night difference then I would get them.

Not knocking the Alpha Dogs, but the HE-500's sound reproduction is as good or better than anything normally priced under at least $1,000.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE500

But....You need more amp than you currently have to get the most from them.  They are open, heavy and not suitable for portable use.

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 27
I use IEMs only for portable use. Will the MDP or HE-500 run good on the Vali?

I would prefer closed but if the HE-500s are THAT good, I might just have to get another open set of cans. How does the AD/MDP compare to the HE-500?

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 27
  I use IEMs only for portable use. Will the MDP or HE-500 run good on the Vali?

You should ask Shiit directly.  However, from what they say on their web site, your amp will not adequately power the HE-500 (as I mentioned earlier).

I would prefer closed but if the HE-500s are THAT good, I might just have to get another open set of cans. How does the AD/MDP compare to the HE-500?

The AD/MDP are more on a plane with the HE-400.  Although the two lines have differences in their sound signature (as well as in terms of openness), I'd rate the MD as slightly below and HE-400 and the AD at about the same level (although I prefer it's sound signature overall to the HE-400).  The HE-500 is a full step or two better than any of them.

For a general point of reference, see:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 27

On their FAQ

"Ok, change the subject. Can this thing drive orthos?
Depends on your listening preference, and which orthos. With half the power of Magni, it’s not going to drive low-sensitivity orthos to ear-bleeding levels. However, it does well with the HiFiMan HE-400, the Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs, and even the LCD-X, XC, and 2, and HE-500."

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 27

On their FAQ

"Ok, change the subject. Can this thing drive orthos?
Depends on your listening preference, and which orthos. With half the power of Magni, it’s not going to drive low-sensitivity orthos to ear-bleeding levels. However, it does well with the HiFiMan HE-400, the Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs, and even the LCD-X, XC, and 2, and HE-500."

Yeah...I would call that a stretch.  My Schiit Asgard 1 was only just enough to properly power the HE-500.

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 27
  Just because an amp can make a can loud does not mean that it is properly powering it.  I have heard the Pro 750 play loud from many amps, but it loses its bass when not properly driven.

It's just amps have dacs have little diminesing returns. like 90% of the sound is the sound quality of the headphones, the other 10% are what's driving it, not a big noticable difference

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 27

Just because an amp can make a can loud does not mean that it is properly powering it.  I have heard the Pro 750 play loud from many amps, but it loses its bass when not properly driven.

It's just amps have dacs have little diminesing returns. like 90% of the sound is the sound quality of the headphones, the other 10% are what's driving it, not a big noticable difference

That is not true--at least not for every can.  It's not true (by way of example) for the Pro 750 and most most planar cans, including the HE-500 and especially the HE-6.

I don't use any dedicated headphone amps that has a DAC.  My serious music listening is to SACD's, CD's and vinyl.

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 27
What is the best closed and/or open headphone that is able to be driven by the vali then? I want the best sound quality for under $600 running with the Vali and Modi. Maybe in the far future I could get a bottlehead crack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back