$600 amp/dac
Mar 1, 2019 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Nolanh87

New Head-Fier
Looking a for a max $600 amp/dac combo with preferably small footprint. SE, balance isn't necessary, budget can go up a little if needed. Trying to downsize my current setup. Headphones would include dt1990 hd800 (might sell) and honestly trying to downsize in general. Wouldn't mind going back to my 598's dt900's. Hitting a plateau and want to get back to simple and I fell like the most enjoyment time of this hobby. Been eyeing the JDS El stack combo. Any other recommendations?

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 17
Obviously a Schiit stack should probably be on your short list. The Magni / Modi combo gets raves across the web, and around here. You could even add the Loki for a some hi quality EQ (always nice for tweaking even the best headphones, imho) and still be well under your budget. I'm currently saving my pennies to get this 3 piece stack myself someday, and soon I hope. :)

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 17
I‘m using the Chord Mojo and like it a lot. I use it as a portable, not really mobile solution either with iPhone/iPad for maximum convenience of Tidal operation or stacked with Hiby R3
If you are vey lucky you might find a used Hugo 1 for a little more than the 600.

recently I bought a Sony zx2 to test higher end DAP sound and although the ZX2 has a very refined sound, the Chord Mojo has some“magic“ a fluid and musical presentation which just feels more natural to me, and not by a small margin.

If you want to use the Mojo as stationary device some care needs to be taken about the battery. Best charge with a timer oer night and avoid charging and using at the same time. No issue with Hugo.

Mar 1, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 17
Yeah I'm gonna keep looking around. Not completely sold on schiit . for some reason I keep checking out jds

No problem. I'm a big JDS fan too -- listening to my beloved C5 portable amp right now in fact!

Mind if I ask why you're hesitant to try Schiit? I only ask because I'm positively aching to get that stack. Maybe you know something I don't . . .

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 17
For $600 USD I would think a Jotunheim with Multibit dac would be my choice have one on loan from Schiit and better than I thought it would be. Damn solid.

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 17
HD800 is a bright headphone, I reccomend Schiit product and their Tube amp, well within your budget.

If not look for a used Chord Hugo, but even the original hugo still cost a bit.

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 17
For $600 USD I would think a Jotunheim with Multibit dac would be my choice have one on loan from Schiit and better than I thought it would be. Damn solid.
Sorry folks this was not meant for this thread don’t know what happened but please ignore.

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #12 of 17
Chord Mojo would be my recommendation at that price. The downside is the battery. I know that it has been said here by Chord themselves that it is OK to leave it permanently plugged in but my personal recommendation (and what I did) was to simply have the charger cable at the ready and to charge it after it ran down, whether during playback of off - doesn't matter.

If not the Mojo, then I think the EL combo is probably a winner too.

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #13 of 17
Sorry but I don't think the Mojo would be a good idea when portability isn't a required feature? It has known battery issues and i've read a lot about problems when using and charging at the same time. I have only listened to a Mojo once under less ideal conditions so I don't feel like I'm in a position to comment on how it sounds. Not saying it isn't good but not sure I'd recommend a portable amp/dac for desk use.

What gear are you currently using and what do you like about it?

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #14 of 17
Sorry but I don't think the Mojo would be a good idea when portability isn't a required feature? It has known battery issues and i've read a lot about problems when using and charging at the same time. I have only listened to a Mojo once under less ideal conditions so I don't feel like I'm in a position to comment on how it sounds. Not saying it isn't good but not sure I'd recommend a portable amp/dac for desk use.

What gear are you currently using and what do you like about it?

Plenty use Mojo as a static device, but I take your point here. It's just my view the the Chord DACs are the best at their respective price points. Irrespective of that, there's no question there is an inconvenience factor about it compared to a mains powered device but whether that's a deal breaker or not is up to the individual of course.

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #15 of 17
If you want to use the Mojo as a desktop device there‘s an easy solution to optimize the battery life - keep the power supply connected to the Mojo but put an AC timer switch between the charger and AC outlet, set to charge for 1-2h every night.

EDIT: timer needs to be connected to the between AC outlet and charger, not between charger and Mojo...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back