$60 budget, my JVC HA RX700's broke.
Jul 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

moofs

100+ Head-Fier
I bought the JVC HA RX700's as my first set of decent headphones. I loved them. A few months ago I bought Grado SR80's. They are awesome on music but for movies and anything else, I don't care much for them. They also hurt my ears after long periods of wearing them.
Not long ago my JVC's literally broke in half. I'm looking for replace them for 60 bucks tops. 
What im looking for in these new headphones are:
- Good all around for movies and music. (no gaming)
- Decent bass
- Comfort
- Must go over ear and be sealed like the JVC's
- They will be running off my computer so no high impedance. 
What would you suggest in that price range that may be a step up from the JVC's? (even if its a slight step)

Only ones I can think of now are audio technica m30's.
Thanks!

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:
Not long ago my JVC's literally broke in half. I'm looking for replace them for 60 bucks tops.

Wow that sucks.  I've had that happen to my old MDR-V6s via a careless friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moofs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What im looking for in these new headphones are:
- Good all around for movies and music. (no gaming)
- Decent bass
- Comfort
- Must go over ear and be sealed like the JVC's
- They will be running off my computer so no high impedance. 
What would you suggest in that price range that may be a step up from the JVC's? (even if its a slight step)

Only ones I can think of now are audio technica m30's.
Thanks!

I honestly haven't heard HARX700s so I'm pretty useless in terms of a comparison against that unit.  But if I were in the market for a decent pair of closed low-impedance circumaurals that are comfortable and have a bit of presence in the low end - all for around $60 - I'd probably go with either a Sennheiser HD203 or a Sennheiser HD419.  Both sounded good enough to me that I could live with them while I'm searching/saving for something better.  Of the two, I'd probably pick the HD203 as its got more forward highs (which I tend to favor).  But since you want decent bass, the HD419s might be a better choice for you.  TBH, I have a somewhat limited personal knowledge of cans that fit those exact criteria - so chances are someone else here will be able to give you a better suggestion.

And BTW, this is gonna come up sooner or later so it might as well be now.  You might get more/better responses re-posting the above to this thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 15
You're welcome of course!  Hope you find something you really like! 
smile.gif

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 15
Good question. They were dropped a few times. One day there was no sound from the right driver and i noticed that part that allows the headphone to swivel was broken. Under the plastic there is a thin metal tube which has the speaker wire running through it, and it was literally broken in half. Wire and all. Idk how it happen to break literally within the headphone, but it did. Tried to reconnect the wire's but no luck. They were awesome headphones for the price.

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Good question. They were dropped a few times. One day there was no sound from the right driver and i noticed that part that allows the headphone to swivel was broken. Under the plastic there is a thin metal tube which has the speaker wire running through it, and it was literally broken in half. Wire and all. Idk how it happen to break literally within the headphone, but it did. Tried to reconnect the wire's but no luck. They were awesome headphones for the price.

I just got my harx900, now I gotta worry if the swivel is gonna break? ughh.... You think it broke because youve dropped them or because it's crap?

Jul 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 15
haha no dont worry. I beat on those things. I'd toss them around, they would fall off the bed a few times. I had them for over a year, maybe 2. Cant remember.
They will hold up fine, its not a weak point. Just dont be careless. 

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
haha no dont worry. I beat on those things. I'd toss them around, they would fall off the bed a few times. I had them for over a year, maybe 2. Cant remember.
They will hold up fine, its not a weak point. Just dont be careless. 

I like my 900s btw, they sound detailed and have a surround sound kinda, and a wide distant sound, as many claim. I heard they need 300+ hour burn in time to sound complete. They sound pretty good already. I was going to get the 700s but heard the soundstage wasn't as great. I love being surrounded inside my music, like a theater. These 900s give a lot of music a clear detailed sound, and have a nice bass, while keeping the mids and highs clear too. 

Jul 1, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 15
I just got a pair of Monoprice 8323 headphones. They have a wonderful, tight bass, and they sound as good as the $150 Audio Technica ATH M50. Best part, only $25. Check them out for sure.

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 15
My friend has the M50's and I liked them a lot. Another friend bought the Mono price headphones, and they were pretty bad imo. 
I've seen everyone on here praise them but they sounded every distant and just didnt sound right to me.

Thank other suggestions?

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Thank other suggestions?

Well, if it weren't for the "$60 tops" thing, I'd suggest the Shure SRH440 as a pair of fun sounding cans.  But at $67.59 (cheapest price on Amazon right now - before shipping), it violates that hard price point.

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
I find the grado's to be "fun" enough for my music.
These are more for light listening and videos/movies. I'm leaning heavily on the panasonics right now.

depends on what kind of sound you are looking for. It can't just be a $60 headphone. Do you like a closed in your head type of sound? Or a surround/spacious sound like you are in a big movie theater? Do you prefer bass oriented phones? etc... It all depends on your taste. I like everything; I think a flat sounding headphone delivers a bit of everything. I usually prefer a more distant/surrounding 3D type of headphone like ultrasones or my jvs I just got. It makes the music feel big and alive, rather than sounding small and 2D in your had. I have ultrasones, they got a little bit more bass, but have a kind of narrow surround sound, rather than my jvcs big distant sound that spreads more out sideways. I know how you feel. There are so many choices out there. You mentioned above you didn't like distant sound, but I was just explaining my point on it. A lot of people on here will recommend you the same headphones over and over lol but they know more than me. They probably tried every headphone on earth XD. Just ask the headfiers which sound you prefer, they can give you a rough estimate because everyone's ears are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back