6.5G 120 GB Ipod Classic Owners: Same issues with skipping using ALAC as with 6G Classic Models?
Dec 29, 2008 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

wharfrat1

100+ Head-Fier
I am getting a pair of UE-11 Pros, and since reading much about these IEM's and how much you can really hear everything with them, I am considering ripping everything to ALAC on my IPOD (I currently use 256 AAC for good recordings, 320 AAC for non mastered recordings).

I currently have a 5.5g 80 gb. I travel a fair amount for work, and I love having a lot of my music collection with me. You never know what you will be in the mood for.
o2smile.gif
If I converted stuff I on my Ipod to ALAC, I would cut my music over 50%.

I don't have a problem doing this in the name of SQ, but with the newer classic, I would be able to keep 60%-70% of what I currently have on my Ipod at lower bitrates. My Ipod needs a little consolidating (but not too much), so this is not necessarily a bad thing.

I really looked into getting a refurbed 160gb, but a lot of the issues with ALAC files skipping have made me very gun shy. My question is, for those that have the newer 7g models, has this issue been corrected? I understand it is a buffer cache issue, and I know apple did nothing about the issues with the 6g classics, so I am now hoping it is corrected in the 7g classics. Your input is appreciated.

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 13
Hockeyb213,

I looked into the Imod, and while it sounds great, the money it would cost (since I also need a cable), outweighs the gains in sq. I also have some nice portable speakers that my wife uses around the house, and we also use for family trips. I really don't want to give up that functionality, which is what would happen if I had it Imodded. Also, my wife just bought me an Ipod alarm clock for Christmas, so I don't think she'd be too happy if I only got two week of use out of it.

You have a 160 classic, how many issues have you had with the pauses and skipping?

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hockeyb213,

You have a 160 classic, how many issues have you had with the pauses and skipping?

I have a 160GB classic too and it's never skipped or paused. All my music is in Apple lossless format ripped from original CDs or 320kb/s MP3 files converted from flac downloads.

Steven.

Dec 29, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 13
Mine skips once every few hours so it's really no big deal.

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 13
mine has never skipped, i have a black 120GB. it doesn't skip no matter what equalizer setting i use, though its equalizer is particularly horrid.

the only problem is the stupid menu can take a little while to get itself started after turning it on, and cover flow can hardly be called that if the album art loads long after you've settled on the album you want...

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 13
My 120 has not skipped as of yet nor did I have problems with my 160 I had last.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 13
That is one of my pet peeves: That people call the 120GB version of the Classic the 7G; it's not a whole new freakin' model, people!

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 13
Relax, I edited the thread to say 6.5. Now you can come in off of the ledge and take the bold key off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is one of my pet peeves: That people call the 120GB version of the Classic the 7G; it's not a whole new freakin' model, people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back