6/26/05 Pittsburgh/HeadRoom Meet
Jun 28, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #16 of 31
tkam was right about the Oxyfuel RCA's, previous to this meet they had about 2-3 hours of play time.

And Zemo, I don't think anyone had a chance to listen to your amps. We were all so busy doing balanced/unbalanced comparisons, as well as checking out tkam's Dynahi that I think we all forgot. Even Tyll mentioned something about them when we were all packing up. Sorry
frown.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
Ah, THERE they are! Tyll, curious if you got to listen to my amps....curious to hear what you thought! likewise for the rest of ya'll!

I've learned a LOT by being out on the road. I won't go down the list as I wish to save that for the end and a large, overall impressions post. But I will mention this as we have talked about this ad nauseum at HeadRoom:

We have notice that when we send stuff to meets without sending a "product champion" along with it, it doesn't getr mention much, or, worse yet, it gets trashed on. I've come to believe the need for this "product champion" is crucial for getting the product listened to, and evaluated in a balanced manner. Mind you, I see the activity of this "product champion" not so much as to advocate the product, but to advocate that the product get listened to. This is a hobby and requires enthusiasts whose "job" is t be enthusiastic about listening to various things, for various reasons.

For example: I have been enthusiastic about getting people to listen to the Sennheiser HD201. Not because I sell it (because my guess is that we're luck if we come out even a buck ahead when we sell them, but rather because I enthusiastically believe something about the headphones that I want to share with others. That belief is that they sound great for $20 and everyone should have a pair if for no other reason than to have it at the ready to give it away to someone at a moments notice who might show an interest in headphones. I also have been enthusiastic about letting people hear the Bose TriPort as it is so extraoridanrily weak in value, and that people should know that. In both cases, I am enthusiastic about my opinion about something.

When people ask us for stuff to show at a meet, or we contact someone to see if they'd like to have some product at a meet, the missing piece is that there is often not an "axe to grind", so to speak, by the reciever of the product. There is PLENTY to listen to at most meets, and the most common complaint I've heard is that people regret not getting around to listen to more things. My perception is that most folks have an agenda going into the meet, and it takes the entire meet to excesise that agenda, AND to be gracefull enough to listen to and concider the various agendas of others. In other words, it take the whole meet to process the various enthusiastic stances that people are comming with, and there ends up being very little time to walk around, sort of open to the still, small voice of any particular piece of gear at the meet.

As a result, I know that I will be doing at least two things for sure:

1) I will be going to more meet to fulfill my personal enthusiastic agendas. (promoting HeadRoom product; listening to the variety of gear and opinions about the gear that others brought; promoting further and more diverse meet settings.)

2) HeadRoom will likely make it harder for poeple to requisition gear for us to send to meets. We will likely require a specific agenda and product champoin to execute that agenda befor equipment goes out. (An example might be that a particular enthusiat will commit to setting up a HeadRoom amp to compare to his sound card; or some other experiment of this type.)

So, I appologies for not getting around to having a listen to your amps. I was curious, but just not enthusiastic enough to get the listening time onto my agenda. Sorry. FWIW, if you wish to send me an amp in September after my trip, I'll give it a listen. Or, better yet, dig up a product champion of your own at a future meet I'll be at, and he will no doubt get me to give it a try.

Cheers!

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #18 of 31
I guess that makes me a product champion of aftermarket modders like Lan and Xanadu777 and Voodoochile and Pink Floyd - all guys who took my stock stuff and modded it to just the way I like it!

I guess I could be a product champion of 'ol Joe Grado too, not that he appreciates it
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #19 of 31
Oh please oh please let me be champion of the overture/coda. I will wield them with the deadly skill of a puma and am willing to work greased up/loin-clothed in some sort of arena situation. I know the battles ahead may be dangerous (I hear ray samuels is breeding some kind of great winged beast) but I promise to train nonstop as soon as I get my upgraded coda back and will gladly give my life in the name of crossfeed.

Jun 30, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #22 of 31
Sounds like a great meet!

Any thoughts on the Headphile modded HP3000 or K3000?

Jun 30, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Sounds like a great meet!

Any thoughts on the Headphile modded HP3000 or K3000?

If you ever get a chance to hear them, jump on it. Both of these are at the top of my list, and if I had a larger budget, I'd be getting a pair of each. They are wonderful cans
orphsmile.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Or, better yet, dig up a product champion of your own at a future meet I'll be at, and he will no doubt get me to give it a try.

Cheers!

So now we want meets to turn into competitive venues for aggressive salesmanship? Doesn't it seem to anyone that, left alone, people will gravitate to what sounds best? Why should any company need to be pushing themselves on people if their products are really up to the test? I don't follow this line of reasoning.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
So now we want meets to turn into competitive venues for aggressive salesmanship?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Please reread my post carefully. I said there has to be someone there who is enthusiasticly interested in a product for that product to be listened to at meet.

I am actually becoming very anti-head-to-head competition at meets, though I think people should spend significant time comaring things. I'm hoping to hear more folks not speak about gear in tersm of which is better, but rather how a product pearsonally satisfies you.

I'll stop here because I want to say more on this after finishing the tour, but I really think that the "fanboyism" and competative tenor of some posts are slowly eating away at the edges of this hobby. I heard a couple of things that were pretty disturbing as I raveled, and I think we're going to have to be a little less interested in "good, better, best" and a little more interested in this is "why this amp is beautiful to me".

One of the things I deffinitely learned is that there are a n aweful lot of good sounding gear out there that I would have assumed and said was crap before I left.

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #26 of 31
I apologize for not being able to make it down there for the meet but a situation developed at work that kept me here. Sounds like I missed out on spending some quality time with some sweet equipment and of course and of course a really good time all the way around. Maybe next time.

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Perez
I apologize for not being able to make it down there for the meet but a situation developed at work that kept me here. Sounds like I missed out on spending some quality time with some sweet equipment and of course and of course a really good time all the way around. Maybe next time.

Ah don't worry, me and tkam are already planning something whenever he's fully "balanced"
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Please reread my post carefully. I said there has to be someone there who is enthusiasticly interested in a product for that product to be listened to at meet.

I am actually becoming very anti-head-to-head competition at meets, though I think people should spend significant time comaring things. I'm hoping to hear more folks not speak about gear in tersm of which is better, but rather how a product pearsonally satisfies you.

I'll stop here because I want to say more on this after finishing the tour, but I really think that the "fanboyism" and competative tenor of some posts are slowly eating away at the edges of this hobby. I heard a couple of things that were pretty disturbing as I raveled, and I think we're going to have to be a little less interested in "good, better, best" and a little more interested in this is "why this amp is beautiful to me".

One of the things I deffinitely learned is that there are a n aweful lot of good sounding gear out there that I would have assumed and said was crap before I left.

Nicely said! This could be applied to life as well, but of course, music is life.

dshea

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #29 of 31
Come to think of it, I should have stumped harder for my poor little rig near the door at the NYC meet. Maybe no one else felt this way, but I thought my Tushi/Pinkie combo sounded great with a ton of cans at the meet. Exceptions were the K501 and the K340 - it seems Pinkie hates AKG! Well, there's no danger of meets just ending up like a professional convention center thing anytime soon - plenty of folks still bring their own gear and check out stuff all over the place, and it never hurts to pick the brains of folks who are very familiar with a piece of gear (including manufacturers!) I think meets work best with a good balance of manufacturers and grassroots folks coming together to just rock out.

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #30 of 31
Well since I couldn't make the meet to demo them, I went ahead and just bought the last k3000 Larry has. Can't wait to hear them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back