5th Gen iPod Video Logic Board Differences?
Oct 7, 2009 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

M3NTAL

Headphoneus Supremus
I purchased a replacement logic board for my 5th gen 60gb video and a 240gb HD. When I boot up the ipod with the new logic board and HD the apple logo stays on and nothing happens even when connected to a PC.

My problem with the old logic board is the HD connector snap-down does not snap into place anymore and the ribbon cable comes up when folding the HD back over in to place - so I can't verify if it acts any differently.

Is my new logic board to blame for the stuck apple logo or am I supposed to do something?

Rapid Repair states that only the 60gb and 80gb ipods work with the 240gb drive.

-Thanks-

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 12
For your reference:
5G (Video)
* 30GB white: MA002LL/A
* 30GB black: MA146LL/A
* 60GB white: MA003LL/A
* 60GB black: MA147LL/A
* 30GB U2 Black/Red: MA452LL/A

5.5G (Video)
* 30GB white: MA444LL/A
* 30GB black: MA446LL/A
* 80GB white: MA448LL/A
* 80GB black: MA450LL/A
* 30GB U2 Black/Red: MA664LL/A

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 12
I got the HD from rapid repair. It is the toshiba model.

I'm stuck scratching my head right now and almost at the point of offering someone on here money to fix it (hint hint)

I plugged my original 60gb HD back into (which is now formatted in windows) and it is doing the same thing. The apple logo comes up then it goes to the support screen. The HD is spinning on both of them so I know its alive.

This is with the original logic board and the 2-sided tape fix.

So frustrated dumping money into this thing just to screw it up. I'm a clutz!

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 12
Will it go into diagnostics mode or disk mode?

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 12
I have a external hd case for zif to usb - the 60gb works - I formatted it in vista and have been using it as an external. I erased everything off of it and now it does not work.

The refurb logic board I got from ifixit has a sticker over the model number that is seemingly impossible to get off without having to use chemicals.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 12
Diagnostic mode is the three buttons down the center correct? And if you fail you have to unplug the battery and plug it back in and try again?

I have not gotten into it - I tried once and failed and gave up for the night.

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Diagnostic mode is the three buttons down the center correct? And if you fail you have to unplug the battery and plug it back in and try again?

I have not gotten into it - I tried once and failed and gave up for the night.

Well yes and no...
hold the centre button and upper part of the wheel down at the same time until it reboots. As soon as it reboots... and I mean immediately!.... you keep the centre button depressed and push down the left of the clickwheel.
It takes some quick shifting of one thumb but you'll soon get it.
That will take you into diagnostics mode where you can test the HD.

Alternatively try going into disk mode by doing exactly the same thing but depressing the bottom of the wheel instead of the left. When in disk mode plug it into the PC and itunes should detect it and try to reformat etc....
In fact, try the disk mode first.
Tell us how you get on.

......Oh and you dont have to take the drive out at all, if you miss it then just try again. Sometimes it helps if you slide the hold button on then off before you do the next attemp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back