5m MiniJack extension cable... quality loss?
Feb 26, 2006 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ThokN

New Head-Fier
Hello there.

Still new to this headphone thing, but I have spent many hours lately reading this forum to find a pair of IEMs that would suit me. So I bought the E4c's, and I love them so much. But at home, when I use them with my pc, the cable was too short for my setup, so I went out and bought a cheap standard 5m minijack extension cable, wich leads me to my questions:

1) How will the cable change the sound of the E4c's (some of you talk about Ohm).

2) Sometimes I also use the level 'autentinator'? (sorry, english isn't my primary language), and how will this affect the sound? I've always thought of those things as cheap plastic, that will give you function at the loss of soundquality?

3) The E4c's sure doesn't lack bass-quality, as I've listened to a sound fx (mp3 at 192kHz) with the deepest bass I have ever heard. It's ONLY bass, and nothing else. It's so deep and intense that I get tears in my eyes. But when I listen to most of my music (mostly 128 kHz, but many times 192 kHz too) I tend to think 'where is the crazy bass I was hoping to get?'. I know that E4c isn't the 'funniest' sounding IEM out there, but I still think I don't get the most out of them. Even when listening to cd's like Squarepusher and Autechre (wich by the way is some of the best produced electronic music I have ever heard. I highly recommend those.) I sort of miss the bass. EQ in winamp sucks big time IMO, as it distorts the bass instead of bringing it forward. My Audigy 2 bass EQ works better, but I'm still puzzled about where the bass is. I want to be able to give myself a headache if I feel like it, but It won't let me!? Does my Audigy 2 ZS suck as much as I have read severeal places in here? Or... do I need an expensive amp? Will my Denon DolbyDigital-blah-blah surround reciever do the job?

4) Do they need burn-in?

My ears are unexperienced, and that's why I hope you can help me.
Thx

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I have a grado extension cable now and it doesn't degrade the sound quality at all, I think Grado even guarantees that it won't.

Same here, and I agree. I even did a rapid jack change between the output of my SR60's with and without the extension using my old and dearly departed Denon DCM-350 CD player as the source/amp, and it made absolutely no difference to my ears. A very good extension cable worth the $40 price tag, IMHO.

580smile.gif
Abe

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Same here, and I agree. I even did a rapid jack change between the output of my SR60's with and without the extension using my old and dearly departed Denon DCM-350 CD player as the source/amp, and it made absolutely no difference to my ears. A very good extension cable worth the $40 price tag, IMHO.

580smile.gif
Abe

I got mine for $25
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I got mine for $25
biggrin.gif

Lucky you
smily_headphones1.gif

580smile.gif