580s V portapro
Oct 18, 2002 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI ALL: Ok I got my 580 fix and now have new drivers and new valor pads and new pad under the valor pads. I burned the 580s in for 75 hours. I started listening to my 580s and they sounded good out of my Max Out META42. Then I plug in my portapros and whats this the portapros sounded better than my 580s? The portapros were more up front, clearer and overall just sounded better. I started thinking about selling the 580s. They I went to the store and got a pair of womens stockings and took out the thick pads under the valor ear pads and cut two pieces of stockings the size of the full drivers and when I put the valor ear pads back on they stretched the stockings to tight. Then I put the 580s on and they sounded way better and was way more upfront and sounded way better than my portapros. Wow I was worried for a while there and had to do the mode or get rid of the 580s.

Oct 18, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi Lou!

The stocking trick seems to be quite a good idea. I will be trying this on my portapros. Have you done it with your portas too? Or just your 580s? I assume you still have the holes cut in the pads of the portas. I went back to using the portas with the original pads because of the buzzing that I was getting when I cut the holes. But they sound much better with the holes, as you know.

Vince

Oct 18, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 7
HI Vince
I still have the pad holes on my portapros and 35 with nothing covering the drivers. I guess because of the price of the 580s I am using the stocking mode. The pads on the 580s are really thick and with then off it makes a huge difference.
PS
I never heard a buzzing in any of my cans.

Oct 19, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 7
andrzejpw
HI: I had the grado 60,80,325 and liked the 80s sound the best but could not stand the thick wires and the spinning of the cans and most of all I found them to be very uncomfortable no matter what mode I did to them and all the different pads I had which was all of them. But I did like the sound of the grado sr-80.

Oct 19, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 7
Hmm.. How about the HD590? You may find those to be more to your taste.

Oct 19, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 7
HI fiddler:
I have been thinking a lot about the 590s. They will be easer to drive I think. Is this so if so how much easer than my 580s. I read that they are more forward than the 580s but need the equinox cable to be at their best. Can you tell me about these things.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back