580s spotted
Sep 17, 2002 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

AndreYew

500+ Head-Fier
The new San Francisco Symphony hybrid SACD recording of Mahler's 1st symphony conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas comes with a bonus making-of DVD if you preordered directly from the Symphony shop, and there are several shots of Sennheiser HD-580s being used for monitoring. I think there was a shot with 3 pairs in it.

The disc itself is excellent, musically and technically, especially its multi-channel SACD layer.

--Andre

Sep 18, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 18
Thanks for the tip, Andre.

I'll be ordering this one VERY soon!

By the way, I WILL be coming to the Bay area. . .not this summer, but NEXT summer. I REALLY hope to be able to hear the SFO with MTT conducting!

David

Sep 18, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 18
David,

That sounds like a fun trip. The SFSO has composer or theme festivals every summer, so you'll be able to catch a quite a few concerts in the summer. The highlight for me was their Mahler festival in 1998.

--Andre

Sep 18, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #6 of 18
Oh, hey chastity! I didn't know you hung out here too! neato! *checks your avatar* Heh, a chick wearing armor! That just seems so... you.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
So, is that a picture from a movie, or is that really you, lol?

Sep 19, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Chastity
So much for bkelly's statement about musicians not using HD580s/HD600s.

And bkelly must have been smoking something when he said that musicians would rather use HD590's than HD580's/HD600's.
tongue.gif

AH-HA! Give me a double-edged sword! I'll challenge the HD590 "lovers" to a duel with my HD600's!!

Sep 20, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 18
Now you've done it Chas. Two posts and already this thread has taken a sadistic turn. I think this might be a record for you. Yes Gluegun, we are all migrating here to loot and pillage a new forum.

Oh, wait, content.... Ummm, I saw a small concert of Balkan music here at the Uni and they were recording the concert. They were monitoring the session with HD580's as well.

Sep 20, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
And bkelly must have been smoking something when he said that musicians would rather use HD590's than HD580's/HD600's.
tongue.gif

AH-HA! Give me a double-edged sword! I'll challenge the HD590 "lovers" to a duel with my HD600's!!

Didn't we convert him? I thought he has seen the light and joined the ranks of the righteous. Has anything changed while I was gone?

Sep 20, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #12 of 18
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 20, 2002 at 9:52 AM Post #13 of 18
Oh boy! I just read that thread. He's gone back to his evil ways, didn't he? It's not like we haven't tried though. We gave him every opportunity to repent and to be accepted into the greater community. He just had to be different, didn't he? He just had to be a hippy.

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I think it's time for some tough love. Does anyone have the number of that guy in Singapore? The one's who's a wiz with a rattan cane? I think a few cracks on the ass will have the desired effect. Else, we'll have to resort to more drastic measures such as flogging as well as tar and feathers.

Sep 20, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Born2bwire
Now you've done it Chas. Two posts and already this thread has taken a sadistic turn. I think this might be a record for you. Yes Gluegun, we are all migrating here to loot and pillage a new forum.

And we've been crapping and hijacking at will.
tongue.gif

Back on topic: I wholeheartedly agree that many engineers use HD580's/HD600's for the final mastering - and this is in addition to whatever monitor speakers they may have been using.

Sep 23, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 18
And do you know what, bifcake?

I have ALWAYS been a hippy. But that doesn't mean that I have to disagree on EVERYTHING. Example: "The greater community" listens only to today's craptacular pop music or rap music, while I listen mostly to classic rock and acoustic jazz - and sometimes fusion jazz, as well. But I've found that I much prefer the HD 600 (and HD 580, as well) to the HD 590 on those types of music that I listen to.

So, bifcake, how's that for the truth? (And sorry, bkelly; crapping on this post is a violation of my policy and is subject to all kinds of rebuttal posts.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back