580 vs 600 vs 590 with yamaha -> pimeta
Apr 28, 2004 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PCJ

New Head-Fier
I decided to wait some more on the purchase, I really want the best sound for my money.

For a few weeks, they will be unamped, but then my headphones of choice will be joined by a pimeta.

My sources are 2 yamaha receivers and a Audigy 2 ZS.

Grados and Alessandros are almost impossible for me to get, they would cost about twice as much as usual.

The prices from amazon would be:
580 - 150
600 - 200
590 - 200

Is either of the 2 worth the additional 50 euros? After I get this stuff, I won't upgrade for a while.

Thanks.

Apr 28, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 5
The Yamahas will probably do a better job of driving the HD590 than the 580 family until your amp arrives. But there's also a possibility that the HD590-Yamaha combo will sound rather bright. (I like it anyway.) So since you're getting an amp fairly soon, I would try the 580.

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCJ
Grados and Alessandros are almost impossible for me to get, they would cost about twice as much as usual.

If you were interested in purchasing used cans I'm sure most head-fiers who sell on the For Sale boards would be willing to ship to you.

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCJ
I decided to wait some more on the purchase, I really want the best sound for my money.

For a few weeks, they will be unamped, but then my headphones of choice will be joined by a pimeta.

My sources are 2 yamaha receivers and a Audigy 2 ZS.

The prices from amazon would be:
580 - 150
600 - 200
590 - 200

Is either of the 2 worth the additional 50 euros? After I get this stuff, I won't upgrade for a while.

Thanks.

Ebay Germany usually has Grados from time to time, as well as the Sennheisers for a lot less money than the amazon price.
Nonetheless, your best option would be buying from someone from head-fi (maybe a user who lives in europe)

good luck

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Although the HD580 or HD600 impedance may not match well with the yamaha receiver (those headphones prefere 0 ohm output impedance), I would buy one of those two based on the fact that your pimeta amp is coming soon.

Some receivers' headphone jacks, like my old Yamaha receiver, have too high of an output impedance. It makes all of my headphones sound excessively boomy except for my HD570.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back