580/600: foam removal and clarity
Aug 19, 2002 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
I removed the extremely thin foam covering on the 580s. I believe it improved the sound to my ears. While I still don't think the 580s are nearly as clear as the Ety 4s's that I'm using, the midrange of the 580s seems much less muffled, giving a sort of pleasant, laidback effect. However, I would still like something to keep any harmful particles off the drivers. Is there a foam insert I could use that would effect the sound less than the stock foam? Do the 600s use the same foam?

Aug 19, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 27
acs236...

...I use some very fine nylon gauze to protect the driver. After replacing the stock cable against a home-brewed one – which gave another portion of additional clarity – this was even favorable for the sound. Resolution and clarity come close to the ones of my (modified) ER-4X now...
biggrin.gif

Renounce any foam which the sound has to pass through! Almost everything else is better.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Aug 19, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 27
Jazz,

1) Could you tell me more about the nylon gauze? Where did you get it? What's its intended use? This will help me hunt it down better.

2) Which replacement cable are you using?

I ask, because I'm also hooked on the Ety 4x sound, and would like to move the Senns in that direction if possible.

Aug 19, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 27
acs236...

...I have no idea where in the US you can get that nylon gauze. I bought it in a store in Switzerland which sells modeling and boat building stuff, such as fiberglass and epoxy resin.

My intention was to find a material which is as fine and of as less acoustical resistance/loss as possible and nevertheless robust enough to provide mechanical protection. And I was lucky: nylon gauze is the ideal material, both acoustically (!) and mechanically, and besides it looks good – much better than the stock foam...

According to recommendations of forum people I originally planned to go for the Cardas cable, which seems to be the best if you want maximum clarity and vividity. But very long delivery time and doubtful availability for an old-fashioned European without a credit card made me decide to go my own way, which has approved in many digital, interconnect and speaker cables: ultra-thin (0.028-0.05 mm) separately isolated (magnet) wires, packed to bundles of 120-2000. A guarantee for maximum clarity. No joke!

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Aug 21, 2002 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 27
Jazz,
Thanks for the info. I'll hunt around for a suitable foam replacement.

I'm starting to enjoy the 580s more. I still find them a bit restrained compared to the Etys, but boy do I appreciate the soundstage. I think my ears are becoming more accustomed to the laid back sound, too. I'm sure all spring for a replacement cable soon.

BTW, when I took the oh so comfortable velour cushions off to remove the foam, I noticed how small the drivers are. They seem about the same size of the Koss Portapro series drivers. I was expecting them to be larger.

Aug 21, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ

...I use some very fine nylon gauze to protect the driver
smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Is that euphamism for black panty hose? I just replaced the foam covers with some black panty hose I found, and it's quite nice. I'm trying out the difference between one and two layers, and using one layer sounds better.

Aug 21, 2002 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Taphil

Is that euphamism for black panty hose? I just replaced the foam covers with some black panty hose I found, and it's quite nice. I'm trying out the difference between one and two layers, and using one layer sounds better.

I was wondering the same thing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 27
No panty hose thing in my case! My nylon gauze is white and barely elastic. Anyway, the panty hose is a good idea! Sounds and looks good, too, I imagine... But may require a tentering frame (perhaps of carton).

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Aug 22, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 27
WOW thank you for this mode. I cut round holes in my koss-35s and portapros pads a while back and it improved them greatly. I never thought of messing with my 580s but I did the mode tonight and it really makes a big difference with the foam taken out. I never had any problems with the open drivers on my 35s or portapros so I dont think I will have any problems with the open drivers of my 580s with out the foam. I agree that they sound more clearer and not a hint of muffle with the equniox cable and this new mode. To who ever thought of this mode thank you. This is what keeps me comming back to this forum. I learn more and more and keep improving my sound. And this one was free WOW
PS
I did ask a friend of mine who is a girl to buy me a pair of cheep black pante hose just in case I should cover the drivers. I hope for some feed back on this open driver thing. Thanks all.
acs236 it was you. Thanks.

Aug 22, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 27
When I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics and bought a half yard of sheer, black nylon I was asked if I was making a dress. I told the lady "nope headphone covering". It's tough to be us.
cool.gif

Aug 22, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 27
lextek
LOL. When I asked a friend of mine who is a girl to get me a pair of cheep black stockins she ask me if I was considering cross dressing. I toald her my headphones were considering it.

Aug 22, 2002 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 27
I am very interested to read how the "pantyhose modification" (I almost hope it doesn't work, or at least someone comes up with a better name). I can't think offhand how you would get stretched pantyhose to stay in place. If you don't stretch it, I wonder if the "density" of the non-stretched cloth allows sound to pass through well enough. Anyway, let me know.

I thought about just leaving the foam off, but while it may make sense to expose KSC-35 drivers, I'd rather not take the chance with the 580s.

Aug 22, 2002 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 27
I seem to be concerned about the open drivers on my 580s with the foam mode so I now keep them in a draw when not in use so nothing like dust can get in them. I feel that any covering will just defeat the open mode. Feed back please on this.

Aug 22, 2002 at 1:47 PM Post #14 of 27
I think that some materials are less acoustically damaging than others. You'd think that Sennheiser would be sensative to this, but apparently not. On the HD280s, there's a thinner gauzy coverning on the drivers, however.

I would be willing to sacrifice some of the benefits of the mod if there is a convering we could use to protect the drivers that doesn't muck up the sound too much.

Aug 22, 2002 at 1:57 PM Post #15 of 27
acs236, Jazz, thanks for the great ideas. It's so amazing that some of the easiest tweeks, those that should be obvious, are never thought of. I'll have to try these out tonite.

Sheer nylon with no elastic would probably most easily found at a cloth store, as previously mentioned. However, for those fetishists that absolulely insist upon having naughty nylon wrapped around one's ears, good old-fashioned nylons, i.e., those that require a garter belt to support, can be had from lingerie shops. They are quite sheer but have a minimum of elasticity so that there would be no need to "stretch" them over the driver.

So, drop by Victoria's Secret on your way home today and grab a pair. Actually, why not get two pair and give one to your wife tonite. Then you can do your mods tomorrow.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back