501 vs. 701
Jan 28, 2006 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Banfi T.

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody!

Yesterday I went to a local audio dealer and spent a few mimutes with the 701 and 601.

Since I am not really into the hobby of spending money just because a new headphone is arriving I think I was open minded about what I hear.

My problem is, that at the shop the 701 was driven unbalanced (stock) from a new Denon CD player (headphone out), while my 501 is driven in balanced configuration in a way better rig. So I could not make up my mind.

Currently I wouldn't change my 501 (as it is now) to a stock 701 based on what I have heard.

I really like the openess and incredible dynamics of the 501 and 701 sounded like hi-fi to me, with a more Sennheiser like sound. More bass, but not so "sudden" and fast. The female voice does not had that "she is singing right into my ear" effect which I constatly get with my 501.

However, I deflorated that 701 and I know from experience the AKG needs lot of time.

The 601 seemed to be more raw and remainded me better to a new AKG which needs burn-in, as the 701.

So I would like to hear some opinion how the 701 (and 601) measures up with 501.

Jan 28, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Banfi T.
I really like the openess and incredible dynamics of the 501 and 701 sounded like hi-fi to me, with a more Sennheiser like sound. More bass, but not so "sudden" and fast. The female voice does not had that "she is singing right into my ear" effect which I constatly get with my 501.

Are you talking about "shouty" mids? If so strange, I've never gotten that from the K501, and I was worried about it after hearing it had good midrange (I sometimes mentally associate midrange with a sort of shouty quality).

Jan 28, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Are you talking about "shouty" mids? If so strange, I've never gotten that from the K501, and I was worried about it after hearing it had good midrange (I sometimes mentally associate midrange with a sort of shouty quality).

No, not "shouty" by any means. More like lively, real, vibrant...The 501 can sound "shouty" though with weak amplifiers...

Jan 28, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Well in saying it is more 'Sennheiser' you are right in that it has more bass, but to my ears that bass is very flat and neutral. The 501 does roll off, whereas I'd say the 701 is nice and flat down to 20hz. The increased bass will give the overall sound a slightly different feel, as even if the 701 is equally capable or even betters the 501 in the other ranges, it will still sonically be effected by the newly found lower register. I'd say in a sense you are used to a slightly artificial clarity in your 501 system - the lack of very low bass in any quantity (though it is there to some degree) allows great clarity of that beautifully smooth AKG midrange. How accurate that feeling is though is debatable.

That being said, as someone who has a balanced amplifier, I can say that it's really impossible to compare a single ended setup once you are used to a balanced one. I had K701's briefly, and while my 650's were single ended I was sure the 701 was a better headphone, but when my Balanced Equinox for the 650's arrived, I decided to sell the 701. Don't get me wrong though, I'll be buying one back once HeadRoom offer a nice balanced recable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back