$500 to spend on headphones, what should I get?
Jun 2, 2013 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cangle

100+ Head-Fier
I am heading off to college in a couple of months and I am interested in purchasing a nice set of headphones before I go. At the moment I have been considering the HE-400 with some sort of cheap amp/dac to pair with it such as a Fiio product or a JDS Labs Cmoy. 

I will be listening to apple lossless files off of my laptop so I need an amp that can connect to either a headphone out port or preferably a usb port. For genres I enjoy listening mainly to jazz along with a little bit of classic rock and electronic music.

Any other suggestions?

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 14
Maybe closed headphones for college? The Sennheiser Momentum ($350 or less) is great for jazz and classic rock. I didn't listen to any electronic with it though, so I can't comment on that. Pair that with something like a Fiio E07K and you're golden.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 14
I have considered closed headphones although I'm really intrigued by the orthodynamics and the sound signature that they have. I might end up getting something like the momentum and then the magni/modi stack.

My headphones at the moment are sadly the beats so anything should really be an upgrade for me.

Are there any other closed headphone recommendations? 

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 14
I can't comment on anything really expensive but ya lol...Just about anything on this site will be an improvement over beats.

You have a cheap DAC/amp so...I would seriously consider checking out the superlux 681 evo. I got mine for 40$ here
http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Headphones-Accessories/Superlux/HD-681EVO-BLACK.xhtml

Overall they sounda bit better than my ath m50, and that can gets A LOT of praise around here.
EDIT-they are semi open though. Isolation isn't too bad and you probably won't bother anyone with the sound leakage unless the volume is really high

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 14
I'd check out the audio technica ESW9, its around $240 new, cheaper on the forums. Works great with all genres of music, sounds great, looks great.  You also don't really need to amp them. A closed phone does come in handy when you are walking around and all. The set I had in college was some HD-25's, they blocked out most everything, sounded great with rock and edm, butchered pianos though. I would spend the rest of the money on one of the mid-fi phones from the for sales forums and an amp. Hell you can get a set of AKG sextetts for $100 when they come around. 

Though if you wanted to blow it all on one set of phones, I'd get a set of MS-Pro's and never look back. You can find them for around $500 on the forums, new they are 699. They excel with jazz, rock, and edm, but work well with most any genre.

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 14
Any opinions on getting the Mad Dog by Mr. Speakers with the magni modi stack? I don't think that these headphones are entirely closed however they look extremely comfortable and people seem to love the sound

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Any opinions on getting the Mad Dog by Mr. Speakers with the magni modi stack? I don't think that these headphones are entirely closed however they look extremely comfortable and people seem to love the sound

1. Extremely Comfortable. Yes.
  2. Magni/Modi stack. Yes, I have this although I am away for the summer and I am using them with a cheap Fiio E10 ($50) and they still sound great!
  3. Provides really good isolation. You may want that when you are in the library having a study date...uugghhh....studying for a test.

To be honest, at first, I did not realize what "neutral" meant until I came across this headphone. My words to describe ..particularly the bass was "thin"..almost a tinny (pronounced "tin-e") sound. I think I got use to this new (neutral) sound, and also have more critical listening habits as a result. To describe the bass I hear through them now would be "Deep and accurate".  From the beginning, I thought everything else was great..except bass. Now, I love everything about it...and I have read the newest revision (3.2) is just excellent. I am still on 3.0. 

This is all just my opinion.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 14
I read this thread and I'll never know what decision was made. Did he go with closed cans and is now living a happy life, or open cans and get pushed down the stairs by his roommate? 
confused.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Maybe the OP kept listening to his Beats, which caused irreversible brain damage that caused him to flunk out of college. He might have had to sell all his head-fi gear. He could now be homeless and living under a bridge with two tuna cans attached to the side of his head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back