$500 for turntable and phono stage...
Apr 6, 2004 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ReDVsion

Headphoneus Supremus
What would you guys recommend for a decent setup with $500? I unfortunately don't know much at all about gear in this area, but I was thinking vintage turntables might be the best route... but I don't know what to look for.
frown.gif

Also, how big of an improvement is it running the record player to a phono stage instead of a reciever/int. amp?

Apr 6, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 6
unless your integrated or receiver have a phono stage, you NEED a phono stage

but also, a good seperate phono stage makes the sound better.

for 500 you could afford a great TT and a quasi-ok phono stage, dats what i did!

300 for my project 6.1

25 for my mcm craphono stage

i'm thinkin of a gram slee phono stage, they're 150 bucks and get rave reviews on audiocircle

check audiogon for good TT's

Project, Rega, Thorens, Music Hall all have good TT's for less than 500

Apr 6, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 6
You have to run the table to a phono stage one way or another. Not only does it boost the voltage, but it also corrects the frequency curve that vinyl is pressed with. Some receivers have a phono stage built in, but it is a phono stage nonetheless.

if, however, the question is whether an external phono stage will be a big improvement over one built in to your receiver -- get a table first. It matters more.

-d

Apr 6, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 6
There is a ton of great suggestions out there. Most contributors have good intentions and what has/is working in their system it is not your system .Y ou have to weed through a lot of info until you find exactly what you need. If you have some time to do more research go to :

http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html

and click on either Vinyl asylum and/or preamp. Once in in the forums type in the blank "text to find" box your query. For example you may type $300 Turntable or $200 Phono stage or Newbie or... etc etc etc. You should get a lot of info.

Cheers,
EVI

Apr 6, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Sorry It's getting late. What I said earlier was.

"Most contributors have good intentions and what has/is working in their system it is not your system .

What it should have said is:

"Most contributors have good intentions and what is working in their systems but remember, they do not know your system so some of their suggestions may not be good for your present system setup.
You have to weed through a lot of info until you find exactly what you need.

Again, sorry. It's late here.

EVI

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 6
Music Hall MMF-5 can be had for under $500 w/ a bit of hunting. I have one coming. I'm told it's awesome for the $.
I believe Tuberoller said he thought there was no point spending more money unless one stepped up to the VPI Scout (3x more $). TTVJ recomends a cartridge upgrade but I'm gonna try the stock one for a bit.
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back