$500 Fine sounding headphones
Apr 14, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #17 of 27
I think a closed back would be the best choice. Open backs in this pricerange lack bass and especially subbass for electronic music especially if you're looking for something bass heavy.

Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm would be a good choice as it doesn't need much amping and has a solid bass. You could also get the DT1770 because it doesn't need significantly more power and has more bass but isn't a better headphone overall imo.

Sennheiser HD25 is great for electronic music but wouldn't be my first choice for movies.

You can also go for a Sony MDR-Z7 which is some guilty pleasure style of headphone because it sucks hard but is fun especially from bad sources and drownes the whole music in bass.

Out of those i think the DT770 is the safest choice. The Sundara should be severely lacking subbass unless it has significantly more than the Ananda which i doubt. Didn't hear the Meze.

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #18 of 27
Apr 16, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #19 of 27
I'm 95% sure I'm gonna order Meze 99 Classics.
So...do I need any amp/DAC thing? Again - I'm new to this stuff so I can't figure out if it will increase the sound quality or if these headphones aren't yet on the level where I'd spot the difference. Is it really worth it?

Apr 16, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #20 of 27
I'd try without first. They are not hard to drive.

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #21 of 27
So...do I need any amp/DAC thing? Again - I'm new to this stuff so I can't figure out if it will increase the sound quality or if these headphones aren't yet on the level where I'd spot the difference. Is it really worth it?
The Meze 99 Classics are not hard to drive at all so with your MBP you will be fine they do fine straight out of my iPad 5gen and iPad Pro with the USB-C dongle and can get uncomfortably loud at max volume.

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #22 of 27

If you decide to get a DAC and just want a cheap and reliable one, then get this:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08H89VZKQ...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Also, if you desire to have a USB-C port adapter with 100W PD for MBP quick charges, then this one will work well and even with the Meizu DAC dongle and USB-C-to-USB-A adapter:

https://www.amazon.de/JSAUX-Adapter...cb915&pd_rd_wg=9Df8H&pd_rd_i=B07Y2TMKVF&psc=1

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B07QJFWQJT/ref=psdcmw_1626220031_t3_B08CRDNCH8

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #23 of 27
Hello everyone!
I'd like to buy my first (at least a bit) audiophile pair of headphones. I consider myself as a beginner so I ask if can some give me an advice or help me. My budget is $500. I listen mostly electro music (but I'd like to use it for watching movies as well) and I kinda like bass sound. As a source I will use my Macbook pro and Tidal Hifi. So I might buy an amp if needed.
Last thing - I have no preference over any brands or types of headphones, feel free to suggest anything that you think could meet my needs.

Thank you.
Sundara with a little bit of eq and Topping L30 amp.

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #24 of 27
If you can find one used in your area for your budget then i world suggest a Focal Elex. Very dynamic and punchy headphone. You won’t need anything special to power them, but when the budget allows you can get an amp and then they will get even better. Elear would also be a good option if you get some aftermarket perforated pads.

Meze 99 with the upgraded silver cable is my preference over sundara. They are very comfortable and are a as great dynamic headphone.

One could argue that your first higher budget purchase should be a dynamic headphone as they sound similar to what you are accustomed to via everyday headphones and to some extent, speakers. When you can get onto a loaner tour or go to a store you can experiment with planars.

I started with dynamics, got into planars and now am back on the dynamics generally.

Plus dynamics have punchier bass!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #26 of 27
I think a closed back would be the best choice. Open backs in this pricerange lack bass and especially subbass for electronic music especially if you're looking for something bass heavy.

Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm would be a good choice as it doesn't need much amping and has a solid bass. You could also get the DT1770 because it doesn't need significantly more power and has more bass but isn't a better headphone overall imo.

Sennheiser HD25 is great for electronic music but wouldn't be my first choice for movies.

You can also go for a Sony MDR-Z7 which is some guilty pleasure style of headphone because it sucks hard but is fun especially from bad sources and drownes the whole music in bass.

Out of those i think the DT770 is the safest choice. The Sundara should be severely lacking subbass unless it has significantly more than the Ananda which i doubt. Didn't hear the Meze.
Not really, openbacks can have very good bass:
Fidelio X2HR
Tygr 300R
Amiron Home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back