$500 Amp Search... Audiotailor Jade, Darkvoice 337, La Figaro 332C -OR SOLID STATE????
Jan 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking to make an amp upgrade for my various low impedance (current hungry) cans.
The unfortunate truth of it all is that most OTL circuits just can't do anything below ~200 ohms.

Hours upon hours scouring through all the Skylab reviews and impressions have led me to these 3, and I think I am leaning towards the dual mono DV 337.  But I would love to hear all your opinions on this.  Have any of you gone through this trail in the upgrade-itis path?... where did you end up?

Just looking for general / overall comments.

Oh and I have a $500 used or new ceiling... I would actually prefer to buy a used, burned in amp.

Thanks and happy listening!!

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 3
BUMP!!

I am also considering sold state and hybrid amps too.

Stumbled upon the Sheer audio HA-006++, being that its almost a Kevin Gilmore dynalo / Justins GS-1.  I have always held the GS-1 in high regards but its been way out of my budget.  The Sheer Audio is in my reach however.  Anyone have recommendations on a ~$500 solid state amp in this ballpark?  Smooth, accurate detail resolution being the primary objective.  I dont want anything "edgy or shouty", since I am using it with fairly bright sounding K701 / RS1.  I have found (for example) a lot of HD650/600 synnergetic amps to sound awful with either of these cans.  IMHO of course... Please feel free to contradict my views, or sway my opinions.  Its head-fi right?... I'm all ears!!

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 3
You should consider the Mapletree Ear amps. Euphoric with Grado, Hifiman HE500 and hd600. It is worthy king up a second hand example. Any model, as the house sound goes across all models. I do not know why it sounds so good.i should add a qualification thAt I am not convinced it is excellent with symphonic music. I use mine for rock, chamber music. It transports you to another world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back