$50-70 somewhat isolating "portable" all-rounders?
Nov 23, 2008 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

A_Squirrel

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first post, but I've lurked for a while. I'm sure my wallet will be regretting my decision to post, but that's how it is. I want to first say thanks for reading and helping me out. This'll be my introduction to the audiophile world and I wanted some recommendations. So the title pretty much covers what I want but the following block of text is more in depth.

1) I listen to pretty much everything, though metal and "harder" stuff aren't prominent in my collection. I listen to some, but not much. I may use them for games/movies, but music is my primary concern.

2) Itll be run from a Meizu M6, without an amp. The M6 will probably be replaced in the future, so don't worry too much over it. Im pretty much set on not getting an amp--I dont want to carry it around.

3) Whatever I get will serve my needs both at home and on the go. I realize that it wont be portable in the sense that I could stick it into a pocket and go, but I can always stick into a bag. As long as it isn't heavy or too bulky itll be fine. I don't really want earbuds/IEMs. Earbuds are ok, but don't isolate at all and I dont really want to stick stuff into my ear, so no IEMs. And perhaps its just me, but I dont really like the idea of shelling out money for something so small. I'd prefer headphones,something with just a little more heft to it than earbuds. Of course, the px100 is an option, but those look a bit flimsy to me.

4) Since I do a lot of listening outside my home--buses, cafeterias,etc.--I need some isolation. I don't need to be completely cut off from my surroundings, just more than earbuds provide. I currently go from a volume setting of around 3 at home to 10-20 in a cafeteria, and at that point its a bit loud for me(thats out of a max of 40). Yes, I like to keep the volume down. I'd like to keep leakage down too, though I assume that shouldnt be too much of a problem with low volumes.

5) Price wise, lower is better. Id like to spend $30, but thats not realistic. I'm expecting to spend somewhere between $50 and 70, though 80ish may work.

So...
The JVC HARX700/900's have recently gotten a lot of hype—ive heard theyre good for the money.
Theres also the well regarded sr60s, but Ive heard they leak, dont isolate and Im not sure how theyd do for stuff other than rock.
The Denon d1001s are in my range too, and Ive heard they are good for most stuff but also dont isolate.
The Sony Mdr-v6 are recommended up in the guide,and seem nice, but I havent seen much about them on the forums.
Then theres the ES7's which are slightly out of my range. Ive heard good things about them, but the hassle of live cashback and the slightly higher price is sorta meh.

So what would you guys recommend?

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 20
IME I find the AKG K81DJ a great portable phone. It isolates well and folds up, making portability no problem. The only downside I've experienced is the long cable, but it could be easily recabled if you wanted to. Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Squirrel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, first post, but I've lurked for a while. I'm sure my wallet will be regretting my decision to post, but that's how it is. I want to first say thanks for reading and helping me out. This'll be my introduction to the audiophile world and I wanted some recommendations. So the title pretty much covers what I want but the following block of text is more in depth.

1) I listen to pretty much everything, though metal and "harder" stuff aren't prominent in my collection. I listen to some, but not much. I may use them for games/movies, but music is my primary concern.

2) Itll be run from a Meizu M6, without an amp. The M6 will probably be replaced in the future, so don't worry too much over it. Im pretty much set on not getting an amp--I dont want to carry it around.

3) Whatever I get will serve my needs both at home and on the go. I realize that it wont be portable in the sense that I could stick it into a pocket and go, but I can always stick into a bag. As long as it isn't heavy or too bulky itll be fine. I don't really want earbuds/IEMs. Earbuds are ok, but don't isolate at all and I dont really want to stick stuff into my ear, so no IEMs. And perhaps its just me, but I dont really like the idea of shelling out money for something so small. I'd prefer headphones,something with just a little more heft to it than earbuds. Of course, the px100 is an option, but those look a bit flimsy to me.

4) Since I do a lot of listening outside my home--buses, cafeterias,etc.--I need some isolation. I don't need to be completely cut off from my surroundings, just more than earbuds provide. I currently go from a volume setting of around 3 at home to 10-20 in a cafeteria, and at that point its a bit loud for me(thats out of a max of 40). Yes, I like to keep the volume down. I'd like to keep leakage down too, though I assume that shouldnt be too much of a problem with low volumes.

5) Price wise, lower is better. Id like to spend $30, but that's not realistic. I'm expecting to spend somewhere between $50 and 70, though 80ish may work.

So...
The JVC HARX700/900's have recently gotten a lot of hype—ive heard theyre good for the money.
There's also the well regarded sr60s, but Ive heard they leak, don't isolate and I'm not sure how they do for stuff other than rock.
The Denon d1001s are in my range too, and Ive heard they are good for most stuff but also don't isolate.
The Sony Mdr-v6 are recommended up in the guide,and seem nice, but I haven't seen much about them on the forums.
Then there's the ES7's which are slightly out of my range. Ive heard good things about them, but the hassle of live cash back and the slightly higher price is sorta meh.

So what would you guys recommend?

I just started using my JVC HA-RX900s two days ago and I like the sound (Hopefully they will get even better after the break in period).
So I would say to get yourself the JVC HA-RX700s for home use.
Using the RX700s in public will make you look like a geeky Princess Lea
o2smile.gif
I would say get the Sennheiser HD 201s for on the go.
They are cheap enough that if lost or broken, your not out much money ($15-$20)

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 20
Thanks for the responses.

The AKGs are interesting, foldable, and amazon has them for $50. They may work out well.

Whats wrong with the x700/900s, portability wise? Is it just that they're big/not so pretty?

And how are the d1001s on isolation? I heard they dont do that too well.

Ill need to think about the 2 sets suggestion--i think id prefer one set though.

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 20
Sennheiser HD205.

Supra-aural, Closed..Great detailed sound with tight bass.

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 20
jvc ha-s700
very isolating, decent sound

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #9 of 20
The HD205s and k81DJ are looking nice, my one concern is that both are dj headphones, so would the bass be overpowering? I guess Im just wondering if it play nicely with everything else.
Im still trying to figure out how the JVCs would do for me, and the denon ah d1001s for 80 shipped still seem nice. The Sony's for 70 are also nice...though, whether theyre worth the 20 over the hd205/k81dj and whether the d1001s are worth the 10 over that is an issue.
So anything else I should be considering or any more information I should take into account?

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats wrong for the HARX700 for portable use?

I didn't want to have to do this but if you must know...

1123082123.jpg

Don't be like me kids!

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dclancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't want to have to do this but if you must know...

1123082123.jpg

Don't be like me kids!

lol im gonna buy these so i can scare my neighbors kids

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Squirrel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses.

The AKGs are interesting, foldable, and amazon has them for $50. They may work out well.

Whats wrong with the x700/900s, portability wise? Is it just that they're big/not so pretty?

And how are the d1001s on isolation? I heard they dont do that too well.

Ill need to think about the 2 sets suggestion--i think id prefer one set though.

the d1001 are pretty good with isolation

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dclancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I look like a Cyberman.
You could just print the picture and poke holes in the eyes and mouth.

"Cyberman" I like that nickman for the RX700/RX900s.
I'll think I'll start a thread trying to round up support for these headphone new nikeman.

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingStars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the d1001 are pretty good with isolation

No. <muahahaha> Isolation-wise, the D1001s are...great indoors, OK in vehicles (long distance buses, cars), not great outdoors on the streets. I'm gonna try them on a plane in a month, so I'll report in when that happens.

I say, the AKGs FTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back