5 most under rated headphone brands?
Jan 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #31 of 146

Quote:
If we are talking the general public then in the UK pretty much everything except Bose, Sennheiser, Shure, Monster, WESC, Skullcandy, Phillips, Panasonic, Klipsh stuff is nowhere to be seen in high street stores.

If you're talking about on head-fi I'd say that the headphones which deserve to be rated highly all get fair attention here. Not much slips through the net.

your saying shure is mainstream. if so why is it i am the only person i know with shure headphones.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #32 of 146
Around these parts, I'm going to say Phiaton. Very few people here have heard them, yet those who have love them.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #33 of 146

Quote:
Quote:
If we are talking the general public then in the UK pretty much everything except Bose, Sennheiser, Shure, Monster, WESC, Skullcandy, Phillips, Panasonic, Klipsh stuff is nowhere to be seen in high street stores.

If you're talking about on head-fi I'd say that the headphones which deserve to be rated highly all get fair attention here. Not much slips through the net.

your saying shure is mainstream. if so why is it i am the only person i know with shure headphones.

+me
beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #34 of 146

Quote:
Quote:

maybe you don't know a lot of people to begin with

I thought this thread was directed towards head-fi, not some general mainstream market everyone here is aware of.

/thread

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #37 of 146
The consumer audience can sometimes surprise you. Just know that the consumer audience is usually very budget and sufficiently oriented and I do not blame them. That is how I work too but if you what is good, paying more pays off 
wink.gif

Underrated headphone brands, Pioneer and JVC since their marketing is not so catchy. Philips headphones are usually cheap but feel so flimsy I would not buy them even if the sound quality was great.  

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #38 of 146
Most of the general public associate one name with headphones - Sennheiser - and anything else is whatever they see down at the Apple Store etc. UE have a market here, courtesy of Logitech, and you will find the lower end models in a lot of the smaller shops, but generally its Sennheiser and the odd stand for Sony's lower end stuff.

As far as Head-Fi is concerned, the rush to FOTM headphones from Shure and others means that a lot of the Audio-Technica models are largely overlooked. The AD900 and ES7 are both very good headphones in their respective price ranges, but they get very few keystrokes : Amazon prices mean that many in North America have gone straight to the AD2K and the rest are firmly focussed on the $100-150 end of the market. I suspect that the AD900 is priced within reach of the asking price for the K701 - regardless of their wildly differing amp requirements, many will opt for the 'audiophile' headphone. C'est La Vie.  

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #39 of 146
well just a question. if shure is mainstream amongst audiophiles taht must mean its good right. i know audiophiles who know of shure but i know no one in my town other then audiophiles who knows them. but i guess there is enough audiophiles for my local futureshop to stock them. but i love my shures and they seem to get high ratings on here.

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #40 of 146

Quote:
well just a question. if shure is mainstream amongst audiophiles taht must mean its good right. i know audiophiles who know of shure but i know no one in my town other then audiophiles who knows them. but i guess there is enough audiophiles for my local futureshop to stock them. but i love my shures and they seem to get high ratings on here.

Nah sennheiser is good amongst audiophiles and most of sennheisers product lineup is garbage.

Even the main public (and my friends who don't know anything about headphones) know about Shure.

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #41 of 146

Quote:
Quote:

Nah sennheiser is good amongst audiophiles and most of sennheisers product lineup is garbage.

Even the main public (and my friends who don't know anything about headphones) know about Shure.

honestly that surprises me. but i have heard both good and bad about sennheiser. which is why i avoided them. but isnt it true shure makes high end audio and a reasonable price. because 129.99 for shure srh750dj headphones sounds like a good deal for the sound quality.

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #42 of 146
See where I am is the complete opposite - I have never seen someone walking around with a pair of Shure headphones or IEM's, whereas on the other hand I've seen 'too many' people walking around with Beats Solo's/Studios, GaGa Beats, Sony XB500's, and various Sennheiser full sized cans (mainly from HMV). But I can see that Shure is a known 'unknown' brand if that makes sense - If someone not into headphones has heard of them, then that's where the limit is - Whereas someone not even into headphones knows what Monster Beats/Sennheiser etc are.

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #43 of 146

Quote:
See where I am is the complete opposite - I have never seen someone walking around with a pair of Shure headphones or IEM's, whereas on the other hand I've seen 'too many' people walking around with Beats Solo's/Studios, GaGa Beats, Sony XB500's, and various Sennheiser full sized cans (mainly from HMV). But I can see that Shure is a known 'unknown' brand if that makes sense - If someone not into headphones has heard of them, then that's where the limit is - Whereas someone not even into headphones knows what Monster Beats/Sennheiser etc are.

that sounds more accurate then the other posts. i agree everyone i know knows about beats and bose and skullcandy. but if i mention shure they will looka t me with a strange look like what the hell am i talking about. most people have no idea what good sounds like.

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #44 of 146
Sennheiser have, arguably, the largest product line of any headphone manufacturer I could name, but how many of their fullsize cans would you consider 'audiophile quality' ? In my opinion, they have 3 production headphones in the audiophile realm - you cant buy the HD580 new, and there is just too much debate on phones like the HD25-1 (ok, 4 if you count them). 

Even when you try to aim at the mid-fi level, they have possibly 3 or 4 pairs of fullsize headphones which could be described as 'good mid-fi choices'.  So many headphones, so much mediocrity. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #45 of 146
Yep, you're not the only one who think Sennheiser has a mediocre line. Far from crap, but mediocre. Except the HD800. That said, I haven't tried the T1 nor LCD-2 (but would love to!).
How didn't I mention JVC? Bah! yes, vastly underrated brand.

Grados are good, but the flimsy feel of it's build quality and it's 'one trick pony'-ness gets to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back