5.5g iMod why no mod to headphone out?
Dec 15, 2007 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Austin 3:16

500+ Head-Fier
Why isn't/can't the headphone output be modded along with the line-out during the iMod changes?

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 18
Well, because of the caps. The 4g ipod could have the black gate caps built inside neard the headphone out. The iPod Video doesn't have enough space so they had to fit them in the line out cable (in the dock connector of the cable). I guess there isn't enough space in a standard 1/8 connector to fit black gate caps in.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 18
I believe it was a business decision between ALO and RWA since you need outboard capacitors in the audio signal path. To streamline it, ALO housed small BlackGates inside the iPod connector. There are conveniences since you can use your iMod like a regular iPod and plug a head/earphone into the headphone out. Of course this doesn't take advantage of the sonic improvements of the iMod.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 18
Having the headphone output modded means you could only use your iPod with amps.
There are quite a bit of technical factors for instance the codec of the 4g and 5g iPod were placed in different positions on circuit-board, the former is near the headphone jack while the later is close to the dock pins.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 18
Why don't you ask Vinnie from RWA if he can build you a 5.5 G iMod with the line out routed to the headphone jack, disabling the original headphone out? I once asked him if he could remod my 4G iMod by removing the black gates and rerouting the line out to the dock and he said it would be no problem. If it is technically possible, I am sure he will fulfil your needs.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe it was a business decision between ALO and RWA since you need outboard capacitors in the audio signal path. To streamline it, ALO housed small BlackGates inside the iPod connector. There are conveniences since you can use your iMod like a regular iPod and plug a head/earphone into the headphone out. Of course this doesn't take advantage of the sonic improvements of the iMod.

If they can have the caps for the lineout on the cord, why not the same deal on the headphone out?

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 18
I think it was mentioned once but just to reiterate; there is no room for the blackgate capacitors inside of the 5.5gen iMod. That is why they are in the cord. Redirecting it to the headphone jack would be harder as well, but probably not impossible. I don't know why you would want to though since you'd have to make your own iMod cable mini to mini cable or strictly use a vCap dock then.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it was mentioned once but just to reiterate; there is no room for the blackgate capacitors inside of the 5.5gen iMod. That is why they are in the cord. Redirecting it to the headphone jack would be harder as well, but probably not impossible. I don't know why you would want to though since you'd have to make your own iMod cable mini to mini cable or strictly use a vCap dock then.

I meant to have an iMod that has the upgrades to BOTH outputs done. ALO could certainly make the headphone cap cable as well.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant to have an iMod that has the upgrades to BOTH outputs done. ALO could certainly make the headphone cap cable as well.

I wouldn't want to always have to use an amp.
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't want to always have to use an amp.
frown.gif

Not what I intended. I mean to clean up the signal path of the headphone output/amp, but yet it still is as functional as stock....

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Not what I intended. I mean to clean up the signal path of the headphone output/amp, but yet it still is as functional as stock....

i don't think the imod works like that, it only creates a clean line-out for use with an external amp

other than that, why not get in touch with Vinnie or check the imod website?

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't think the imod works like that, it only creates a clean line-out for use with an external amp

other than that, why not get in touch with Vinnie or check the imod website?

I know. Just curious why/if it can be done for the headphone out.

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 18
It could be done, but it would be tricky. If you look inside the iPod 5G/5.5G, you see a metal frame that connects the logic board to the front white panel. The chip is sandwiched between the logic board and front panel, so you'd have to sneak the wires between them to the other side through the two. Did I mention they are screwed together? To get to the headphone out, you would have to grab the signal from the click wheel-controlled pins on the Wolfson and then send the wires to the headphone jack, find room for the caps, etc. The headphone jack is different from the line out because your bass would get cut off significantly if you didn't have appropriately high impedanced headphones and large DC blocking caps. In the iPod 5G, you can actually run the headphones straight out of the DAC without any caps at all, but you'd have to to fiddle with the digital side of things. I could get into in more detail, but that would have to wait till another time. As usual, it can be done, but it would be tricky.

As for only using an amp with your iMod 5G, that's what happened with the iMod 4G and none of the rave reviewers seemed to mind.

Dec 16, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly right. It doesnt work like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back