5.1 Low-profile soundcard on the STX/ST level?
Oct 4, 2010 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bojamijams

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking to built an HTPC and want a soundcard for my Z-5500 that'll have 5.1 and be up to par with the Z-5500 (basically to allow them to perform at their best, as weak as they may be)...

The ST+H6 is just too much money (and doesn't have a low profile option) so I'm wondering what will be almost as good but with native 5.1.. Also I hate auzentech so I'm looking for something else

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 12
Only real need is that it have a low profile bracket and be able to output analog 5.1 sound.  Beyond that.. well.. just quality dac
smily_headphones1.gif

Which Xonar would be the better one? The D1 or the DX?

Quote:
Any specific needs?

Asus does have a low profile Xonar, its not up to the level of the top cards, but its performance should be plenty for the Z-5500s.

Oct 5, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 12
The Xonar DS would be perfect for you needs, it goes for 30-49 dollars Usd.

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 12
Xonar DG is coming which is half height like DS. Sub-$50
Difference to DS is it's only 5.1, up to 96KHz Where as DS is 7.1, 192KHz, and opamp is replaceable.
But DG has headphone amp up to 150ohms and Dolby Headphone effect which DS does not have.

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 12
MrNoodle you missed the op wants and gonna be using it for. He be fine with Xonar DS, the op is only planning on using his 5.1 speakers in analog and no headphones with the HTPC he has. Him getting the DG for the headphone amp would be pointless as he will never use it on his HTPC since he mention 5.1. Also If he watching blu rays then the khz wouldnt matter any way as his blu rays will be downsample to 16bit/48khz over analog. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 12
i was going to recomend the xonar dx/ds card. i would get the ds if i were you, the dx is the ds, but ported over to pci-e w/ another chip. the ds is native to pci.

these cards have mini optical, and your z-5500 have an optical input. that eliminates the use of the on board dac. unless you didnt want to use the dac in the z-5500.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Another thing is.. the DS is pretty cheap.. which normally wouldn't be a bad thing but I'm wondering if its DAC performance is below that of the D1/DX?

On paper, yes. Doubt you can hear the difference. Your speakers S/N ratio is prolly below sound card DAC anyway.
And if you're going to connect to your speaker though optical, DAC in sound card won't matter since it won't be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back