4th Gen iPod Nano- battery life?
Nov 17, 2008 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm in the market for a new DAP and this is one I've been considering. I was quite hot on it until I saw it's quoted battery life of 24 hours audio (video doesn't concern me massively as I wouldn't really use it for much else besides audio use). Considering they base that on playback of a low bitrate (likely 128kbps) I'm concerned what that'll drop to for someone- me- who will predomiantly use it for 320 kbps or, maybe even lossless playback. Does anyone have experience or know what the battery life drops to or there abouts when using the player for such higher quality bitrate playback?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 8
I use 320 and V0 mp3s (as well as various iTunes purchased stuff, but not frequently), and the playback time including when I turn on the screen to change volume, check the track, change the track, etc is about 15-20 hours, maybe less. I've never really tried, but I think with minimal screen time you could get 20 hours or more.

I thought you were going to get the Sony S639?

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 8
well, knowing apple products: they exceed the battery life estimations.

my nano 3g rated for 20-24 hours. in real use i get around 25 (but i don't fiddle much) but if i let it run straight through then it lasts about 30-33.

my touch 1g got up to 28 hours on the same sit through but generally lasted me with all sorts of using about 18 or so hours. it was a very big seling point to actually have a player exceed the manufacturers spec.

i have had cowon, sharp,meizu, iriver, sony, panasonic and kenwood before and most of them even in lie down tests with little to no interaction fell far short of the manufacturer's spec.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 8
The sony kickstarted me weighing up different options lol. With advanced mp3 players offering a 7 day opened box rturns policy, I thought I'd trial a couple of players that have my interest side b side before deciding- first hand experience is the name of this game, ultimately!

Thanks for the input 4saken and shigzeo! You've helped make me put this one back on my to try list!

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 8
My 16 gig 4th gen nano has a very good battery life so much so that I sometimes forget to charge it thinking its running on perpetual motion or something lol however when using it to play apple lossless for long periods of time (3-4 hours) I did notice the battery life drop much faster but I could still see getting 6-8 hours of lossless playback and for the rest of my music at 320kbps I could see it lasting 20 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back