4p -> 4b adaptor?
Jun 26, 2002 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mr_slacker

100+ Head-Fier
Would it be possible to make a 4p -> 4b adaptor for the Etymotic 4P canalphone?

I know the pod on the 4b contains capacitors. Are these caps used in a paralell or seriell configuration with the resistors? If the latter is true wouldn't it be possible to make the adaptor mentioned above?

Even if the caps are in a paralell configuration with the wouldn't it be possible to make a adaptor with resistors and caps that makes the 4P almost into a 4B?

I don't know if there would be a market for such a device. But Vertigos praise of the 4B has got me thinking. Also talked to the swedish distributor of etymotic today and he preferred the 4B to the P and S models...

Imagine : 4P + two adaptors = three "different" headphones

Jun 26, 2002 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi, mr_slacker!

I'm interested in the 4B too, but I think
frown.gif
the driver in the 4B model is tuned differently (I mean different) from that used on 4S and 4P (these are the same, according to Etymotics, just the different resistance changes the sound a bit). But, unfortunately for you (and me
wink.gif
) there's little chance to get the 4B sound from 4P just by changing resistor values...

Your
Moonwalker

Jun 26, 2002 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the drivers on all Ety 4 models are the same. The diffrencies are the pods on the cords. Right? (Okay the 4P uses a different cable for the chord than the 4B and 4S, but that doesn't matter here)

I thought the caps in the pod on the 4B acted as high pass filter.

I think someone have to take apart their pod on their 4B and find out...
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 6
You might want to take a look at this:

http://headwize.powerpill.org/ubb/sh...time=0&fpage=4

Specifically the post by Daniel Pumphrey. Apparently the 4Bs are the only ones with "caps" in them, whatever that means.

I did a little background reading into the designs behind the 4S and 4B. I understand the reason behind them much better now. Incidentally I guess I just happen to like the equalization response of the 4B for all recordings. Daniel also mentioned a review of the 4S and 4B many years ago where the reviewer preferred the 4B as it was closest to his reference Pro Stax setup. I guess I'm not the only one finding the 4Bs to sound closer to tonally neutral.

Jun 26, 2002 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 6
Really don't understand what you mean by that link Vert. DP claims that 4B has no caps and 4S has caps. This is wrong (which you stated in your reply, 4B has caps)

Since I'm a smartass I post this link...

Check this out...

Quote:

orignally posted by d_wilson
The ER-4B is the only one that has capacitors.

Still wouldn't it be possible to build a 4P -> 4B adaptor?

and yeah:

caps = capacitors

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by mr_slacker
Really don't understand what you mean by that link Vert. DP claims that 4B has no caps and 4S has caps. This is wrong (which you stated in your reply, 4B has caps)

Since I'm a smartass I post this link...

Check this out...

Still wouldn't it be possible to build a 4P -> 4B adaptor?

and yeah:

caps = capacitors

smily_headphones1.gif

yes, it's possible. I've been told by many, many sources that the 4B has caps, the rest do not and the 4S or P most definatly do NOT have caps.

I have yet to find out the values of the caps used in the B but, in all fairness, I haven't asked. Don Wilson at Etymonic would probably be glad to answer the question if asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back