4gb Clip vs iPod classic and nano
Aug 17, 2008 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mrbrad

100+ Head-Fier
I have been reading in this forum for weeks, maybe months, about how good the sound is on the Sansa Clip. So, I recently decided to pick one up, mostly because of the small size, and great sound. I decided to share my impressions of the Clip vs. the iPods I already have, Classic and 2nd gen 8bg Nano.

First, the user interface. The Clip is primitive by comparison. Each time you go into power saving mode, it has to reboot and takes several seconds. I use it a work and frequently answer the phone or go down the hall for several minutes. When I return to the Clip, I have to turn it on, wait, then press plan. On my iPod, I press play and they immediately start playing the last song I was listening to. At least the Clip remembers your last song, that is good.

Scrolling through a list of Artists is SO MUCH BETTER on the iPod than the Clip. I know the screen is smaller, but pressing the down key and waiting until it gets where you want is just not as efficient.

I do like the fact the Clip shows you the album title when you select an artist. The Nano does this, but the Classic doesn't unless you have more than one album. I hate this about the Classic.

Selecting another artist or album is also a pain with the Clip. On the iPod, it remembers where you were in the list and you can go from there. On the Clip, you always have to start at the beginning. I often start the day from the beginning and work my way through the artist list during the day.

Loading music is also a pain. For my iPod, I add and remove songs from a Playlist and when I plug in my iPod, iTunes swaps the appropriate songs. Since I am on a Mac, I am required to use drag and drop to copy songs to the Clip, hence, I have to delete what I don't want any longer and then copy what I do. The only way this is effective is if you copy the music in folders rather than songs. Otherwise, you pretty much need to delete all of the songs and reload some of the same ones.

Finally, sound quality. The Clip does sound good, but not better than the Classic or Nano. The equalizer is MUCH better, however, since the EQ on all of the iPods I have used is worthless!

So, these are just my impressions, no flaming required, but for those who are not audiophiles, it is another perspective on the Clip.

p.s. Headphones used are PX100, Senn HD595, Grado SR-60, Shure E3C and I did try the supplied earbuds. They are clearly worse than iPod earbuds! Yeah, go figure.

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 14
hummmm this is not good news to me
frown.gif

i own a classic, just gave my nano to my sister, and ordered a clip for the SQ on the move when i dont want a bulky setup.

may just have to take it back from her if the interface is as bad as you say. I do love the ipod interface.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 14
It's a bit unfair IMO to compare the Nano or Classic to the Clip. The Clip is a surprisingly decent sounding budget player which I would recommend to anyone who is
a) constrained on cost
b) wants exceptional lightness and portability
...without compromising on SQ.

Clip is more of a comparison point if you are looking at Shuffle/ Zen Stone. For me, it scores over the Shuffle because it has a screen and supports Drag and drop. And it sounds way better than the Stone.

It cannot really compare to the sophisticated UI of a full-sized, expensive player. And it certainly will not work for you if you are (like me) are the sort who constantly likes to browse and change songs. I find it works best in scenarios where hands-free operation is needed eg. at the gym.

For myself, I would not consider it as a replacement for my Cowon D2, but as a useful add-on player for certain usage contexts.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 14
Surely the Clip is a Shuffle competitor though with the size and price? In which a player that actually has a UI with a list of artists/albums you can pick from is going to be better than that awful thing.

For your troubles/annoyances with drag and drop, isn't there any software that you can use with the Clip? I'm sure iTunes can manage more devices than just iPods - maybe something to look into.

If you were on Windows I'd have some suggestions but I'm not too familiar with what'll run on Macs.

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it! At least I'm not the only one thinking on those lines
tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 14
Mediamonkey will handle the Clip much like itunes, but itunes itself, does not support non apple players.

Regarding the clip shutting down while you are out of the office- you can turn auto shut off off or set it to 20 minutes.

As listed above, your comparison in general is a bit unfair. Sort of like comparing the luxuries of a base Honda Civic to a Lexus ES sedan, when your primary focus is gas mileage.

Aug 18, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mediamonkey will handle the Clip much like itunes, but itunes itself, does not support non apple players.

Mediamonkey does not have Mac support as far as I know and I know that a regular D2 hater (
wink.gif
) Shigzeo, has mentioned a few times that he used iTunes to manage all of his players including his old Cowon D2.

A quick google returned this!

Aug 18, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 14
First of all, let me say that the Clip is a very good player. It is small, supports a variety of formats, and produces very good sound. Compared to the Shuffle, it is a no brainer. The only reason I did the other iPod comparisons was for people unfamiliar with non-iPods to understand how different they really are.

My main message is that the sound quality isn't any better (IMO) than my iPod. Based on what I have been reading here, I was expecting to be blown away, and wasn't.

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostPhil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mediamonkey does not have Mac support as far as I know and I know that a regular D2 hater (
wink.gif
) Shigzeo, has mentioned a few times that he used iTunes to manage all of his players including his old Cowon D2.

A quick google returned this!

Sweet- I need to get this working with my Audible Wall Street Journal podcast. June 2008- I guess I'm a few months behind the game
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbrad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, let me say that the Clip is a very good player. It is small, supports a variety of formats, and produces very good sound. Compared to the Shuffle, it is a no brainer. The only reason I did the other iPod comparisons was for people unfamiliar with non-iPods to understand how different they really are.

My main message is that the sound quality isn't any better (IMO) than my iPod. Based on what I have been reading here, I was expecting to be blown away, and wasn't.

Same. I thought I was going to be blown away by the Sansa Clip's sound quality as well but it was about the same. Maybe it was the same. Yea it was EQ but I find that pretty stupid.

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 14
the headphone out of the clip is quieter than the ipods for a start, thats one improvement and the soundstage and detail is better on the clip... imo

via line out with an amp however the ipods fare better, which for almost ten times the cost of the clip, certainly in regards the classic 160gb thats to be hoped for.

I own the 160gb classic, the 3rd gen 8gb nano and two 2gb clips.

*edit* just noticed you are referring to the 4gb clip, I do not own that nor have ever listened to it but I think the internals are exactly the same barring the obvious memory capacity.

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 14
I find my 4G Clip tiny and extremely easy to use. I also think the SQ is excellent - this coming from owning an H140/D1/ER-4S setup as my main rig. The value/performance ratio for the Clip is off the chart - simply amazing. Do I want more than 4G of storage? Yep, but I've learned to deal with it.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet- I need to get this working with my Audible Wall Street Journal podcast. June 2008- I guess I'm a few months behind the game
biggrin.gif

But then I have just realised that it's a windows utility... So would be useless on a mac too!

Nothing's ever easy...

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 14
the soundstage should be techinically inferior to ipod as it does not get the wildly open near 70db of the nano (rather it gets in the 40-50 range) and with itunes, for every portable i have owned other than those that need windows or sonic stage: drag and drop from itunes works perfectly.

i use a mac.
i choose the music i want and highlight it, drag it and then drop it to the directory or player i want. i make playlists too sometimes and by the same means: drag and drop from itunes it works.

i am not a d2 hater. i am a doubtful former owner who wishes that the reviews he read and the advice he received before buying the d2 was not the usual hyperbole that floats around here. the d2 for my music was a complete fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back