4G iPod screen contrast
Aug 3, 2004 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Just started using my new 4G 20GB iPod last night and noticed that at 50%, the contrast is way too light. i've got mine between 50% and 75% and it looks really nice now.

Has anyone else noticed their contrast seeming too light at the 50% mark? I don't remember this being the case on the iPod Mini or the 2G's/3G's.

Other than that, I love it! I've been playing it for about 8 hours straight and the battery life is still at about 1/3!

Aug 3, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 6
I wouldn't worry about it. I've actually noticed changes in contrast ratio not only in between 3G and 4G iPod, but within the 3G and 3G itself. I've owned three 3G iPod total, first was mine, second was one I purchased for my gf, and third was a replacement when my 1st 3G broke.

Both the replacement and the one I purchased for my gf had different contrast ratio than the first one I purchased beforehand.

All of them were different than my 2G's contrast ratio. I'm sure you've heard all sorts of things about backlight being different colors in different iPod screens as well.

I'm betting it's simply a matter of which manufacturer they got the screen from, and changing manufacturing process and what nots.

Aug 4, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 6
The contrast on the iPod is directly related to the type of screen and the temperature of the unit. When the iPod becomes hot from extensive disk use or warm climates, the contrast will appear darker than normal (and vice versa). So in an air conditioned room, 60% contrast might look great, but outside in the heat, 60% will appear quite dark and possibly illegible.

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 6
one of the few things I really didnt' like about the 2G was the screen contrast. or, lack of contrast. same for the NJB3.

having the 4G pod now, it's like night and day. Contrast is just awesome on the new Pod. crisp and clear, easy to read. i think the contrast on this one is better than any other DAP i've seen, in fact.

Aug 4, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 6
the 4g i returned had perfect contrast at 50%...the new one i have is too light at 50%...i have it up to around 60-70%

Aug 4, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 6
I have two 3G iPods here side by side. one a 20gb I bought new and the other a 10gb i bought refurbished. the 20gb at default contrast is very light. the 10gb at default contrast is just right. I had to turn the 20gb to 75% contrast to match the 10gb at 50% contrast. Actually I thought the 20gb screen contrast was just fine until I looked at the 10gb one. then I had to adjust the 20gb screen to match the 10gb screen cause it looked so much better. Also the 20gb screen's backlight makes the text appear black while the 10gb screen's backlight makes the text appear blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back