41awg silver wire....
May 26, 2004 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Lostlamb

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone have experience with working with this size wire? Difficult to handle?

May 26, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 15
Wire that small is going to be almost impossible to work with. It's not going to be much thicker than a hair on your head to give you a perspective of what exactly you're going to be working with. Stripping it without a chemical solution is going to be practically impossible, and soldering it will merely be a game of putting it in a pool of solder and hoping to get lucky.

It ain't gonna be easy.

May 27, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 15
Wonder what size wire is used for IC chip interconnects? You may be close with 41AWG.

Indeed, what are you using this for?

May 27, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 15
A delicate braided IC design of my own...

May 27, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 15
That's awfully close the the wire gauge that we use in our IC interconnects. Now, the stuff we use is gold, so it's even more fragile, but I personally wouldn't care to work with it under any condition where it might be exposed to any sort of physical stress. For that matter, I'd just hate to work with it. The wire is so fine that it almost behaves like a piece of thread...it's very difficult to get it to go where you want it.

Of course, I have fat fingers, so even 26 ga wire gives me fits!

-Drew

May 29, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostlamb
Anyone have experience with working with this size wire? Difficult to handle?

I've wound toroids and transformers with 38 AWG Cu wire, which is extremely difficult to work with. 41 AWG is half the diameter of 38 AWG. I can't even imagine working with it. I've stripped 38 AWG enamaled wire with an X-acto knife, under a microscope, but I don't recommend this method. Chemical stripping is probably best.

If you really feel like tackling this wire, my only suggestion it to use as much magnification as you can muster. I work on very small electronics on a daily basis, and it's surprising what you can do with enough magnification.

Good luck!

bg

May 29, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 15
That's what I was figuring on...but needed confirmation. I regular work with 33awg wire, and that's fine without a magnifying glass. Just never worked with anything less than 38awg wire. Thanks all for your comments, much appreciated.

May 29, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0
I've stripped 38 AWG enamaled wire with an X-acto knife, under a microscope, but I don't recommend this method. Chemical stripping is probably best.

If you really feel like tackling this wire, my only suggestion it to use as much magnification as you can muster. I work on very small electronics on a daily basis, and it's surprising what you can do with enough magnification.

Good luck!

bg

LOL, there's your answer.

You're going to be making a very thin IC?
biggrin.gif

-Ed

May 29, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

That's what I was figuring on...but needed confirmation. I regular work with 33awg wire, and that's fine without a magnifying glass. Just never worked with anything less than 38awg wire. Thanks all for your comments, much appreciated.

I see on the web site you mentioned that the wire is Teflon insulated. Teflon is a good insulating material, but Teflon coated wire is amazingly difficult to work with, even in large guages. The coating is so slippery that the wire becomes even more difficult to hold and strip. (I am assuming that you are using coated wire). Also, Teflon is tough stuff, and tends to stretch rather than cut when you try to strip it. I'm not sure how I would tackle this stuff. A thermal stripping tool might work, but finding one that will strip 41 AWG wire will be difficult. The smallest one I found handled 38 AWG, but it also cost $300
eek.gif

Let us know how it works out.

Cheers,

bg

May 30, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #13 of 15
Actually, I'll be using the bare wire. No coating here. I'm doing my own coating.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 15
I posted the AM Systems link as a source for Teflon coated silver wire. However, I did not expect anyone here to get wire so thin.

Anything over 30 AWG is way too thin for DIY electronics! Even Sijosae, the Korean Master of ultra small DIY amps, does NOT use any wire over 30 AWG!

confused.gif

May 30, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Actually, I'll be using the bare wire. No coating here. I'm doing my own coating.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you doing all this for personal torture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back