~$400 Setup
Apr 2, 2008 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Hunted Charlie

Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of AKG K 26P headphones as my best phones. I want to upgrade.

My headphones will be used primarily from my home computer, a MacBook, and my iPod (5G), using a mix of full quality Apple Lossless files (converted from FLAC to play within the stupid restrictions of Apple gear) and MP3s encoded with LAME V0 (about as high quality as MP3s go). I'm assuming an amp will be necessary to make either usage sound good. I listen to all kinds of music including bass-heavy hip-hop, classical, rock, electronica, etc.

I have a maximum budget for $400. I've selected what I think is about right, and I was hoping you ultra-audiophiles here would tell me if this is a good choice. I'm thinking:

Headphones: Denon AHD2000 - $210 (Amazon)
Amp: HeadRoom Total BitHead - $150 (HeadRoom)

totaling to a comfortable $360, leaving a bit of money for shipping+tax.

Is this a good choice? I've been reading some people saying that the Denons have subpar midrange tones, but other people say that they're perfect all around.

Please give your opinion, I can't afford to buy another setup for several years so this has really got to work for me.

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 20
unless you are hell bent on getting closed cans, i would suggest trying the hd 595s from sennheiser or at least considering them. you CAN run them unamped but i ran mine with an amp as well and they sounded great. the cables are really strong, i gave mine a lot of tugging and pulling on and even after a long time they sounded great. comfort wise i rate them the highest of all the headphones ive ever tried (even higher than the hd 650s). they are so light you tend to forget you have them on.

another big thing for me was i fall asleep listening to music. lying in bed with them on is unusually comfortable as well. i have seen them go for as little as 150 new. that leaves you a lot more money for a nicer amp. nothing against the bithead (i hear it has great synergy with the 595), i just dislike battery operated amps...they turn out to be a lot more expensive in the end.

one odd story, my 595s had such nice bass response, when i first got my 650s, i repeatedly went back to my 595s for that deep bass for a long time until i got used to the 650s.

another option is the 580s. you also have the option of using the grills from the 600s. just more things to experiment with.

another suggestion i would offer is this - my budget was a LOT less than yours when i came to this website. no matter how much you think you wont be upgrading for a long while, you will come back. and then everyone will say sorry for your wallet
biggrin.gif
even if you dont, it is worthwhile to look into used gear. i dont suggest used stuff on ebay unless you know the person or the seller has a lot of sells. the sale trade forum on these forums is one of the best places to find deals on used stuff. the descriptions are always accurate and most members usually eat paypal and shipping fees. makes for an excellent resource.

let me be the first to welcome you to headfi.

oh and sorry for your wallet
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 20
ORRRRRRRRRRRRRR you could disregard my previous post and go straight for the king and run them unamped until you can get a real nice amp to go with them. they will be hard to drive with an ipod but it has been done. even unamped they sound legen...wait for it...DARY!

www.dakmart.com IS AN AUTHORIZED DEALER FOR MANY OF THE TOP BRANDS

well within your range. you could try to get a nice deal on a portable amp if you really really want an amp for the time being.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kodreaming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2000 is only $209 ?!

On amazon, yes.

Disregard the HD595 recommendation, D2000 is better.

I would look at something that is not a Bithead though, MacBook's headphone out sounds better. You might want to listen to D2000 out of your MacBook first and decide if you want to amp them or not, and if you want a warmer or brighter amp...you know, the usual drill of deciding what is missing.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunted Charlie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this a good choice? I've been reading some people saying that the Denons have subpar midrange tones, but other people say that they're perfect all around.

Please give your opinion, I can't afford to buy another setup for several years so this has really got to work for me.

Will you use these portably or not? You mention using an ipod. The Denons would be one good choice if you're only going to use them while sitting still. If they also need to work for portable use, then they'll be too big. For a dac/amp, I recommend checking out the amp forum for a few minutes.

Apr 2, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #11 of 20
Thanks for the help everybody.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will you use these portably or not? You mention using an ipod. The Denons would be one good choice if you're only going to use them while sitting still. If they also need to work for portable use, then they'll be too big. For a dac/amp, I recommend checking out the amp forum for a few minutes.

Yeah, I'd be using them portably about 50% of the time probably. If the Denons aren't good, is there anything in my price-range that is? Are the HD650s good for portable use? The HD650s seem to be within my range, just barely.

Oh, and does the EMU 0404 USB 2.0 replace an amp? It certainly can't be used portably, can it?

Finally, where does one find the Darkvoice Figaro? The top Google result was a discussion on these forums and the official site wouldn't load for me.

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunted Charlie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the help everybody.

Yeah, I'd be using them portably about 50% of the time probably. If the Denons aren't good, is there anything in my price-range that is? Are the HD650s good for portable use? The HD650s seem to be within my range, just barely.

Oh, and does the EMU 0404 USB 2.0 replace an amp? It certainly can't be used portably, can it?

Aha, just as I suspected. Here's what I would do in your position: get a home system and a portable headphone to go straight out of the ipod. This is how it would stay under budget:

Emu 0202 usb for computer-based dac/amp ($94 shipped). It might suit you better than the 0404 anyway. Look here.
JVC M1000 ($184) or Denon D2000 ($218) for home headphone, assuming you need closed. These are easily driven, and the 0202 should handle them fine.
Audio Technica ES7 for portable ($109), or if you wanted IEMS, with your music I'd go for a dynamic and not an armature driver, either a JVC FX300 ($62) or Denon C551 ($66)

The most expensive combination there is $421, the cheapest, $340. Like I say, it's how I would spend my own money if I were in your shoes. Enjoy.

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #13 of 20
You can get the DV FIGARO from Jasmine_Chine, a very reliable E-Bay seller. Excellent entry level tube amp.
biggrin.gif
However, if you're looking for a 110v version, you're out of luck. As far as I know they haven't been released yet.
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 20
the 650s are FAR from something you would call portable. there is nothing stopping you from walking around with them, but i wouldnt walk around with a 300 dollar hat unless i had 10 more and enough money to buy another 10 if one got dirty. if heard stories of people walking around with k1000s with backpack full of stuff just to drive them but it only makes is possible, not plausible.
biggrin.gif
for a home setup on the other hand, GREAT choice.

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 20
If I had $400 for a setup, I would love to go with iPod lineout > Stax SR-001 mk2 but those Stax hurt my ears too much. I would go with ER4Ps if I were you and save the money for a standalone DAC which allows you to get a used DIY amp (great value IMO).

I guess I would do the same thing as Spritzer but with different components.

CK2III - $150
DAC (quite a few options, Number Cruncher) - $100-$150
Chaintech AV710 - $20
Grado SR225 (or insert sub-$150 headphone here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back