$400 DOLLAR HEADPHONES VS $1000 HEADPHONES!!
Aug 22, 2015 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

hitman1

100+ Head-Fier
Hello:

Now I have listened to the MOFI BLUE headphones, BOWERS AND WILKIN P7, the DRE BEATS AND PSB M4U 2.  I see the difference between the Dre Beats and Mofi,PSB and Bowers. I have been reading about the Alpha Prime and HIFI Headphones that cost $1000 and over. I want to hear from you PROFFESIONAL AUDIOPHILES! Do you believe that the MOFI,PSB M4U2 and Bowers and Wilkin p7 at $400, does the MR SPEAKER Alpha Prime and Some of the HIFI or Seinheiser HD800 sound $600 too $1000 mbetter than these other headphones??? Do you really hear that much more?? Thanks for your honest opinion. I need to know before I invest in some Alpha Primes or better. I just find it hard to believe after hearing these other phones how much more can i hear for double and triple the price.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 16
Simple answer: Yes you can get much better sound then MOFI BLUE.

More complex answer:
Yes, but you also need to invest in equipment that can support this new headphone to its fullest. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 16
Nope, they're not *that* much better. Diminishing returns kick in hard the higher up you go in price. Although the four figure flagships do certain things better, that doesn't guarantee that you will even like them more. For example, I personally like the STAX SR-207 and Yamaha HPH-MT220 more than the headphones I've heard that cost thousands of dollars. That doesn't mean those much cheaper headphones are better in every way or anything like that; it's just personal preference.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 16
  Nope, they're not *that* much better. Diminishing returns kick in hard the higher up you go in price. Although the four figure flagships do certain things better, that doesn't guarantee that you will even like them more. For example, I personally like the STAX SR-207 and Yamaha HPH-MT220 more than the headphones I've heard that cost thousands of dollars. That doesn't mean those much cheaper headphones are better in every way or anything like that; it's just personal preference.

I completely agree with Music except the part *that* much better I think that there is good room to grow till the about 600-900 price range then after that you will get about 10-20% improvements for a huge price difference. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 16
  I completely agree with Music except the part *that* much better I think that there is good room to grow till the about 600-900 price range then after that you will get about 10-20% improvements for a huge price difference. 

It depends on the technology too, among other factors. I think the electrostatic STAX SR-207 (under $400) is higher fidelity than the planar magnetic Abyss AB-1266 ($5,495) in most ways. As for value, that's subjective. A four figure headphone may be worth every penny to one person, whereas another person would never spend that much on a headphone even if they easily could. But in the context of this thread, I suppose the issue is whether two or three (or more) times the expense amounts to two or three (or more) times the sound quality when going from $400 to $1,000+. In most cases, the answer is no, though there are plenty of examples to the contrary, which ties into the "other factors" I mentioned. Then there's the fact that sound quality is partially subjective anyway.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 16
  Hello:

Now I have listened to the MOFI BLUE headphones, BOWERS AND WILKIN P7, the DRE BEATS AND PSB M4U 2.  I see the difference between the Dre Beats and Mofi,PSB and Bowers. I have been reading about the Alpha Prime and HIFI Headphones that cost $1000 and over. I want to hear from you PROFFESIONAL AUDIOPHILES! Do you believe that the MOFI,PSB M4U2 and Bowers and Wilkin p7 at $400, does the MR SPEAKER Alpha Prime and Some of the HIFI or Seinheiser HD800 sound $600 too $1000 mbetter than these other headphones??? Do you really hear that much more?? Thanks for your honest opinion. I need to know before I invest in some Alpha Primes or better. I just find it hard to believe after hearing these other phones how much more can i hear for double and triple the price.

when I had the Mad Dog and step to the Alpha Dog, I certainly hear a difference. I owned the Alpha Dog for a year than sold it, missed it so much that I bought an Alpha Prime. I can certainly distinguish the difference between the two. My advice to you is, own a headphone for more than 1-2 months, listen to it closely, then try a different headphone. You will hear the difference, whether its better or not, thats really subjective. I think the Alpha Prime is better than the Beyer T1 because its more versatile, but the sound isnt quiet as good as the Beyer T1, not that the T1 doesnt have some faults of it own in term of sound quality.

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #7 of 16

Fairly common site here in Japan.

The T1 were on another level from the HD800 and the rest which could not deliver the detail and being there sensation that the T1 did. (everything running off the shops equipment) Just a very impressive set.  The X2 were new and had a special display on the backside of this stand and it was like 350bucks? The T1 were about a 1000 and they sounded like they were priced right. There is a gap between that jump in price but it is not shared by all sets. K812, HD800....meh. The T1 are the shiznit

I am a basshead but even I was thrown by how great that set is.

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 16
go ahead. otherwise you will never know.

i own akg k550 and sennheiser hd700. 700 does offer significant improvement. it depends on you if you consider performance difference worth the money. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 16
i APPRECIATE your time in replying to my question. Now one other Question.  I have a IPOD 7g. I was looking at a IFI Micro IDSD. I could not find where it said wether it worked well with IPOD CLASSIC. Then I heard about the Theorum 720 and it worked great with the IPOD, but it has a hiss?? Wich one is the better AMP/DAC to get? I would love to hear what are the top three AMP/DAC under$700. Thanks. Must read up on Beyer T!. Which is better Alpha Prime or T1? I can only afford one ha.

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 16
  i APPRECIATE your time in replying to my question. Now one other Question.  I have a IPOD 7g. I was looking at a IFI Micro IDSD. I could not find where it said wether it worked well with IPOD CLASSIC. Then I heard about the Theorum 720 and it worked great with the IPOD, but it has a hiss?? Wich one is the better AMP/DAC to get? I would love to hear what are the top three AMP/DAC under$700. Thanks. Must read up on Beyer T!. Which is better Alpha Prime or T1? I can only afford one ha.

Cannot comment on stuff I am not familiar with (Theorum) and I usually stay out of these threads as it really is all about your prefs and it's your money...a lot of your money.
The T1 are not a set where  anyone will qualify a rec with  YMMV.  They sound lively without any odd freq spikes that may cause fatigue. They have no pronounced audible rolloff on either end and the mids  are outstanding. They can sit on the head for long listening sessions. The Alpha prime are planar and the T1 are dynamic. I do not know the apex of planer performance but I would consider the T1 to be the apex in design,quality and performance of the Dynamic driver based headphone branch.

Send some PM's to folks who own em along with others. Info is power but at a certain point you get struck with paralysis by analysis.

They are stunning in all manner.

Good luck.

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 16
Thank you for your reply. Keep hearing people saying they hear stuff with the Alpha dog they did not even know was in the recording. Curious is it that good?

It also depend on your other gears too, the dac, amp and your source. For example, listening to my alpha on the Alo plus Clas combo, is different to then listening with the chord hugo. The chord just make things seem more noticeable, is that good? Maybe, but when you factor in the price, is the chord worth 3x the combo of alo and clas? No, I don't think so. I could have stop at the alo and CLAS-DB combo and be happy but I wanted to try the chord, the extra $$$ may not be worth it but I like it and that's all that matter :)

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #13 of 16

I have all the gears you mention. The theorem does not have hiss on Headphone, only on IEM and that is easily fix with an impedance adaptor. As far as T1 vs AP, do you like privacy when listening to music? If so get the prime, if privacy and a little bit of outside noise is not a factor then T1. I love both, I switch them every week, but going from T1 to AP you do notice the inherent fault of a closed headphone, the soundstage, took me an hour to adjust to it.

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #14 of 16
I heard one person say the Alpha has to be one of the best closed headphones.  Sounds like a open headphone it was said. I would be wearing these at work..so Alpha Primes might be where I am leaning unless I go with the OPPO 3. I heard one say the Alh I see where the IFI Micro is going fro $500. Theorum 720 is $700. Leaning towards IFI. I do not see where they have a balanced input for the headphones. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #15 of 16
  I heard one person say the Alpha has to be one of the best closed headphones.  Sounds like a open headphone it was said. I would be wearing these at work..so Alpha Primes might be where I am leaning unless I go with the OPPO 3. I heard one say the Alh I see where the IFI Micro is going fro $500. Theorum 720 is $700. Leaning towards IFI. I do not see where they have a balanced input for the headphones. 

some people said ZMF is the best closed headphone, you never know till you try it. I like my AP, but I'm trying out the ZMF OMNI whenever it coming.

sorry dont know anything about IFI, but if they are using Bur Brown Chip it will have a warm sound sig, I dont know about you but I dont really like warmth sound signature. Theorem does have balance input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back