400$ classic/rock phones
Feb 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #16 of 30
zeppelin is my favorit, then floyd/vivaldi, then metallica/hendrix and some soft rock. in that order.
i will try to go listen to the PRO 900/d5000 that have the same owner. and a pair of w5000.

btw so far from what i saw here, did't come across to meny good reviews compared to the d5000 and some AT.
why is that?

so senn's aren't for me? got it.

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For rock there are two options: Grado RS1 used and ATH-D2000.
Known to do rock exceptionally well, both kings of rock.

Get Grado RS1 used and ATH-D2000 now on sale for $499 at amazon and other sellers.

Yep, the RS-1 are king of rock, I also like the 702 with rock.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #20 of 30
Oh well now you're going all out at home. That opens a LOT for recommendations. Grado RS-1, Sennheiser HD600 or Beyer DT880 600ohm. For those genre's, as I haven't listened to a senn or beyer, I am going to say to go for the RS-1. I am sure the senns and beyers can be better, but for metallica, hendrix, zepplin and the like, I would get the RS-1 right now
biggrin.gif
Plus, they do not NEED great amplification, source etc to sound very good. Denon's won't be as good as the other listed for rock because of the laid back mid range. I see the HD650 as a more audiophile can. Meaning listen to well recorded classical music with a Woo Audio 6 and a $2000 CD player and DAC setup
biggrin.gif
Out of all the RS-1, I would go for the RS-1 classic. It's the cheapest, easier to find than vintage and has a lusher midrange than the RS-1i. RS-1i has more attack, this could be bad for a few of the bands/artists that you listen to, also depending on your taste.

My recommendation: Used Grado RS-1 classic.

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #21 of 30
I owned and really liked my AD700 and went the AD900 route as my big upgrade. After doing an extensive burnin and trying to like the AD900 including modding them, I just never got the same mojo I did from the AD700, the mids and treble were just so much forward in comparison to bass they never sounded balanced for me and I struggled with their sibilance and the ear fatigue I got from them.

I ended up buying a pair of Senn HD600's and their bass was so much better and the rest of the sound spectrum so much better balanced that after a week couldn't go back to the AD900. Shortly after that I traded away the AD900. I am still using the HD600 in conjunction with the amp listed in my signature. My complete home rig was right around $400 for the HD600 plus the amp. I think the amp does help make the HD600 more balance though as it is a bit colder and analytical.

BTW I don't listen to a ton of Led Zeppelin but do have a couple albums plus a huge collection of Pink Floyd, and other classic rock bands like Kansas, Cheap Trick, Supertramp, and others and find the HD600 does their music very well. For pure electric guitar solo type music I think a grado type headphone might be the route to go but for a good mix of the music you mentioned I think the HD600 will give you a more rounded sound and I do feel they are considerably better than the AD900 when properly amplified.

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #23 of 30
Can't speak to many cans in this price range. But I did drop $400 on a pair of RS2's, and I occasionally get lost in 70's music I normally wouldn't be caught dead listening to, they just work with old analog recordings. General consesus says hold out for the RS1, but I bought mine with space-bucks (reward points) and just couldn't swing the extra $300. They weigh nothing, I actually think they're comfy.

If it's a good recording, these things are sex (I'm sure there are are better headphones, but I haven't regretted getting them for a second). I also have an ad700 and it sees alot of use, possibly more than the Grado (I listen to alot of bad recordings). I wouldn't dream of using the AT's with the type of music you're talking about - not because it's bad. Theres just so much more information with the rs2's. Downside: you will get annoyed when the guitar player needs a fret job (damn 2nd fret buzz).

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #24 of 30
I have a huge classical collection and again the HD600 handle it well. The slightly laid back nature of the Senn works very well with that genre from orchestral pieces, to violin and piano pieces to opera, and choirs. I also love them for New Age/Jazz and Celtic music with singers like Loreena McKennitt. They are a very well rounded headphone that does most music well. The only area I think the RS1 would beat them hands down would be electric guitar and really fast music as they are a more laid back headphone.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #26 of 30
Don't look at the RS-2. RS-2i is decent but the RS-1 used can be had for about $430, so why wouldn't you buy it. They are all great cans, but I would personally get the RS-1 or HD600. The HD600 does rock very nicely but nothing compares to the RS-1. Wooden instruments sound wonderful on the RS-1s FWIR but it does have a small soundstage.

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #28 of 30
well earlier today got rhe chance to compare the 900 pro, rs1, md5000, w5000 and my own ad700.
all of those were connected to a stello da100/hp100 combo.
from all this after a good and long listen i realized my ad700 could stand up to any of these as long as classical music is playing.
all in all i really liked the md5000 for all the genres i played on it. the soundstage was very good. a joy.
the pro 900 were very agressive. sounded fine with rock but quite flat in the other genres.
the rs1 sounded very diffrent then i expected. a diffrent joy regarding rock but rathed poor in meny cases. dont know. maybe they don't fit the amp.
the w5000 were a bonus listen as they are out of my price range. liked those quite alot. though must say i liked the md5000 better.
there aren't meny ditails to suggest that clearly buy i enjoyed the md5000 so much to a point i bought them on the spot.

now all that's left is an amp for these.

THANKS for the help.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #29 of 30
Well, there...you...go.

Glad you found something you liked and you didn't have to go through the feeling of disappointment with the RS-1.

Happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back