$400 Budget: Headphones for Metal Music
Jul 21, 2011 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

NonApplicable

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not looking to spend $400 to the cent, as much as I am looking for best bang for my buck considering the equipment I am currently using(ex. a $200 suggestion is fine). I have a Cowon D3(similar to a J3 in sound quality) amped through a ibasso t3. To give a benchmark, I use monster turbine pro coppers ATM, so I would like these new headphones to somewhat sound better. I also need to stress the vitality of the sound compatibility with metal. It is important that I can listen to extreme metal genres such as deathcore and death metal but also listen to lighter styles of metal and hard rock without sacrificing too much in the sound quality department. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Through the power of research, I am getting a strong vibe that Grado is the way to go. In you opinion is this an accurate statement?

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 88
I like my (sock mod) SR225 for Metallica and Pantera, and my HD600 for Kamelot, Dream Theater, Epica, Nightwish, etc. Source is a Marantz CD60 through the headphone out; or my Cowon S9 or IPT4 with an Ibasso Toucan. Still waiting for my custom balanced cables though, so they're running SE, but the short of it is that when the drums need to be really, really snappy I go for the Grados; otherwise the smoothness of the Senns generally works better for me.

I suggest you check out the SR325 or DT150 then save the change for other gear, like higher-current amps and a DAC. Or something like the NFB-12. Or get the SR325 and order the Headphile C-Pad for it.

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 88
Im thinking of going with the SR325is. You think that my ibasso will be able to drive them correct? Last time I purchased my Turbine Coppers, I got a good deal on them. I don't see anything other than the MSRP of $295. Should I pay this amount?  

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 88
The 325is is great with death and trash. With Prog and symphonic, depending on how complex, the grado's lack some soundstage imo. I prefer Pagans Mind, Ayreon and Dream Theater though my DT880's. Melodic death like Dark Tranquility however goes fine with the 325is. They are very "in your face", Tight bass, agressive, fast but can be harsh. The 225 is great too, a tad less prominent mids but also easier on the treble.
Basicly any amp can drive them well but the grado's dont realy need an amp.

About the HD600, tried them with Vader, Marduk, Ayreon, Exodus  and some others i cant recall. Worst set of cans i tried for metal. Slow, muffled, verry laid back.
A good thing tastes differ.

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 88
Allesandro MS-2 DOOO ET!!! trust me, you will love them, you can get them in canada too.

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 88

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. Now I have to find a $300 pair that will ship to Canada :\

ah a fellow british columbian. i think you should go with the grado's. i own the alessandro ms1 which is a cheaper $100 grado that is less harsh and sounds a lot like the sr125. from what i understand grado doesn't make many improvements per headphone but if they sound anything like my ms1 then they will be what your looking for. unfortunately though they aren't very good for symphonic metal do to a small sound stage.

other suggestions i can make based off of the metal thread

audio technica es10
and sennheiser hd25 1 ii

i also own the shure srh840 but those are pretty slow and you might not enjoy metal with those. i do but you probably want something more aggresive.

the shure srh940 though can be had for $300 canadian and is apparently much faster and more energetic then the srh840. but keep in mind it has less bass and is considered neutral

the highlighted cans i have tried or own.

oh one more thing. the grado's are open back so they may not be very good for portability.

and i am a metalhead so take me seriously.

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 88
Oh forgot to mention, the MS-2's are the 325i's just made by Alessandro but sanctioned by Grado for those who want the grado sound over seas. They have a bit more laid back sound but that's always good when the word grado is involved.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones

incase you wanted to consider.

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 88

Quote:
Oh forgot to mention, the MS-2's are the 325i's just made by Alessandro but sanctioned by Grado for those who want the grado sound over seas. They have a bit more laid back sound but that's always good when the word grado is involved.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones

incase you wanted to consider.

if i am correct the ms1 is based off of the sr125
the ms2 is the sr325
and the ms pro is the rs1

am i correct?

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 88
Totally interested in the Alessandros now thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to stick with something close to a Grado mentality because of the numerous testimonials people have made. Totally appreciate the help guys, but could you tell me more about the Alessandros. I know nothing about them, and I'm curious on why they chose to re brand them. Why the MS-2s over the SR325is?

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #12 of 88

Quote:
Totally interested in the Alessandros now thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to stick with something close to a Grado mentality because of the numerous testimonials people have made. Totally appreciate the help guys, but could you tell me more about the Alessandros. I know nothing about them, and I'm curious on why they chose to re brand them. Why the MS-2s over the SR325is?

alessando is a guitar amp company as far as i know. they specialize in music gear for guitar players i assume. the alessandro is manufactured by grado and holds the grado name but is sold by alessandro worldwide. i don't know what the deal is why they did that but i do know that if you are to buy grado headphones from a us retailer they won't ship to canada. and when you find canadian retailers they are rediculously overpriced. for example, in teh states the sr60 is $80. at headphone bar in vancouver which is the cheapest i could find they are $110. thats a $30 increase even though the canadian dollar is higher. while at the same time the alessandro ms1 (which i own) is based off of the grado sr125 which are usually $150. thats a savings of $50. i don't know how they get away with doing this but i do know that they are a good value. the alessandro ms2 is based off of the sr325. even if you did find a retailer for the sr325 in canada you won't find it cheaper then $300. the ms2 is $299 and a good deal for what it's worth. and if it plays metal as well as my alessandro ms1 then it will be right up your ally.

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #14 of 88

Quote:
Alessandro MS1 sounded very realistic with acoustic guitar.

Didn't try it with metal, isn't it very bass-light though? Or am I thinking of a different Grado.

they sound very powerful with electric guitar and are decnetly bassy with the comfy pads. i did the quarter mod though and their bass has decreased. but when bass is needed it's there. there will definitely be a difference between the alessandro ms1 and ms2. just don't expect them to be as treble harsh as grado.

also if he is after bassy then the shure srh940 is a bad choice.

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #15 of 88
Is the Alessandro MS-2 based of the original SR325(unimproved)? There doesn't seem to text indicating this and it isn't called the MS-2i. I actually did find a $300 pair of SR325is over at TTVJ audio, so I am torn :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back