40 yearold + Head-fiers
Nov 27, 2002 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Just curious. All you older folks out ther, me included. To you tend to like the more forward/brighter phones (Grado, Ety)? Compared to the HD600's? Also the same with SS versus tube gear?
cool.gif

Nov 27, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 37
60 years, 10 months and 6 days (who's counting) and I can't think of a set of phones I'd rather have than HD600. Of course, if they were hooked to the stepped attenuater Blockhead with Cardas cable----------------------------------

SS amps for phones, Tube for speakers, although I'm running all SS now and probably always will unless we win the Lottery. Have to divide the available cash between Audio and Boat/Fishing.

Grado's are uncomfortable and I like KSC35's for portable.

Nov 27, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 37
I hear what you are saying, but even after 48 years filled with various periods of music/guns/motorcycles/marriage my ears still work pretty good. So I'm balanced between HD600s and etys, MOH(R) and RKV MkII. Got some ATH W1000s and AKG K1000s on order, but that's just for variety. Pretty hard to beat the smurfed HD600s with a good amp. SS and tubed, crossfeed and not are interestingly different but all quite acceptable.

Nov 28, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 37
Enigma #2, "Return to Innocence": Many people have heard that song on tv commercials, tv movies and films and 90% of them don't know the name. "Out From the Deep" is the other great tune on that cd.

i don't like the senn sound. i can see the veil, much less hear it; even with the best amps and the best cables. nty (no thank you).

I'm a 49 year old who is still into disco, eurodance, techno...

lex, you gotta hear the akg k1000's!!! $449 a pop.

tubes are funny things, it's a stage i hope not to revisit. no matter how good it sounds you wanna try a different sparkplug...
as to solid state, there's class A (yamaha), carver and crown.

part of the problems with our hearing is that we've become accustomed to tv sound - tinny. and when we hear bass we want the same amount of treble. me, i like horn speakers
biggrin.gif

you'll find that as you get older you want smoothness in cans, like the akg k501's, sony mdr-f1's, senns, beyers...

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
[B
I'm a 49 year old who is still into disco, eurodance, techno...

lex, you gotta hear the akg k1000's!!! $449 a pop.

[/B]

KC and The Sunshine Band, Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack.

I heard the K1000's at WOH Boston. Yeah they sounded great. Not sure about the Max driving them.

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 37
I'm 64, had HD600's but gave them to my 95 year old uncle. He loves them, but I found their sound a bit dull. Also like listening to my SA325, but most of all I love my AKG K1000. The K1000 is my ultimate headphone.

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #10 of 37
49 years and completely indecisive. I wind up buying everything.
tongue.gif

Slightly more seriously, I like a very well-defined sound, but can't stand it when it edges over into brightness. I ditched several Grado's for that reason, until I figured out how to tame them. I do prefer a forward, in your face, type of sound, as long as the treble isn't screaming at me.

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 37
I'll be 49 in January and recently discovered I can no longer hear 13khz and above. Friends often complain that my car stereo is too trebley. And although I enjoy my Senn 580s and AKG 501s, I prefer the Grados.

I can still hear the shimmer of cymbals and all sorts of detail in music, so I don't think 13KHz and up has much info that's absolutely necessary. I'm sure there's harmonics there however that others may notice.

I'll bet if we geezers were to get our ears professionally tested, we'd be surprised at what we'd find out.

Nov 28, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #13 of 37
Do any of the 40+ old members suffer from tinnitus?

thanks.

Nov 28, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant

I'll bet if we geezers were to get our ears professionally tested, we'd be surprised at what we'd find out.

I did and had a slight hearing loss at 4k Hz.

Nov 28, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
Do any of the 40+ old members suffer from tinnitus?

thanks.

Yes years of motorcycles, airtools, gunfire (Army), airplane engines and high pitched wife's voice. Just kidding about the wife part. She has a fairly deep voice.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back