$40 difference = much better sound?
Feb 25, 2006 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aCommunistSpy

100+ Head-Fier
darn. i just missed amazon selling those cx100 for 39.99. I heard lots of great things about them and for $40, i knew those were what i was gonna get. However, i missed it and now the lowest price i can find is $60. but i'm wondering if they are still worth it at that price. I've never had IEM's before and i'm wondering if i should get the cx 100's or shure's e2c's or super.fi 3. however, anything above that is way too much. I'm even deciding if i should just stick with those senn's cheap mx's. still, i'm curious what all the fuss is about
icon10.gif
. so cx100, e2, or super.fi 3 ??
confused.gif

also, comfort and looks should be taken into account. I heard the e2's are uncomfortable and the super.fi 3's are kinda ugly. i'm also not sure if i'll actually like the behind the ear design either. and is there some chance that the price for those cx's will go back down again?

also, they shouldn't be fragile (it might not be in the cases some times but just in the pockets or wrapped around my ipod). They shouldn't be difficult to put in either.

so all these considered.. just remember sound quality > all else! but i mean the other stuff'd be nice too
eggosmile.gif

EDIT: actually, any headphones in the price range of under 130-140ish would be good. so super.fi, etymotic, senn, or shures?

PS the bass shouldn't be too wimpy

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by aCommunistSpy
EDIT: actually, any headphones in the price range of under 130-140ish would be good. so super.fi, etymotic, senn, or shures?

PS the bass shouldn't be too wimpy

If you can stretch $20, you can go right to the top of the heap. The super.fi 5pro is about $150 with mail-in rebate from www.earphonesolutions.com

It has everything you're looking for...comfort, sound quality, bass, etc. A small increase in budget in this case results in a big jump in quality. These are among the best IEMs out there.

If that's too much...

the CX300 seems to be a nice starter IEM, and the super.fi 3 seems to provide a good combo of comfort, quality, and price.

If you have never tried IEMs before, I would stay away from Shure and Etymotic. Those would be a very good purchase after you're used to the feeling of something in your ear-canal.

On the other hand, if you have used IEMs/canalphones/earplugs, or you're willing to deal with the possibility of initial discomfort, I can heartily recommend the Ety er-6i. It has incredible sound for the price, including decent bass. Try 'em with the beige foamies, I can easily wear mine for hours. They're also very sturdy in spite of looking insubstantial.

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Or you could just wait until the CX300S falls to $39.99 at Amazon again. That's what I did. They have fluctuated between $69.99 and $39.99 several times recently. There's a good chance that if you wait a few days they'll come back down.

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 8
I just got my wife a pair of the cx300's very nice intro IEM, and much more detailed than the Sony 51's she had. Amazon has them for 39.95 including shipping, I got them in just a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back