4-pin XLR configuration HELP!!!
Jul 3, 2008 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

penguindude

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm currently trying to figure out the pin number arrangement on a 4 pin Neutrik XLR plug. The layout is labelled 1 to 4 in a clockwise position. Which pin should be the left (+ and ground) and which should be right (+ and ground)?

Thanks a lot!!

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 11
Pin 1 is L +
Pin 2 is L -
Pin 3 is R +
Pin 4 is R -

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 11
Just to confirm, yes that is the way the wiring is described in the K1000 manual which is what most of us use as the official 4-pin XLR wiring standard.

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 11
I've soldered a 4-pin XLR male on the stock Sennheiser 650 cable on one end and a 4-pin female on the other end (1/4"). Left signal (green + and copper -) and Right signal (red + and copper -) have been soldered onto the suggested pin lay out.

Any reason why the now recabled stock HD650 1/4" no longer work/have any sound when plugged into a stereo 1/4" jack?

Help appreciated.

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 11
Did you do a basic continuity check? The Senn heiser wires are enameled and if you didn't burn or scrape off the coating you probably have no continuity between any of your connections.

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you do a basic continuity check? The Senn heiser wires are enameled and if you didn't burn or scrape off the coating you probably have no continuity between any of your connections.

I'm an amateur, first time recabling. No, i havent burned or scraped off the coating. How do i do that?

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm an amateur, first time recabling. No, i havent burned or scraped off the coating. How do i do that?

If you have an adjustable temperature soldering iron you might be able to heat the wire hot enough to burn the enamel off. You'll see it boil and bubble if it does. But if your iron doesn't heat things up quickly enough you risk damaging the rest of the cable but heating the entire length of wire. Whatever you do don't do this with the cable attached to the headphones.

As far as scraping goes it's just getting a knife and trying to whittle off the coating. I've never done this so I can't tell you how easy it is to do.

Jul 3, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 11
Thank you for your help. I've burned off the enamel without damaging the wire. It gave out some smoke and a nasty odor. I now successfully added a 4-pin XLR connection between the HD650 stock cable. It sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back