3rd pair?!?!
Jun 2, 2015 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jeangenie

Head-Fier
Hi everyone, thanks a lot, you all made me spend a lot of money over the past couple of years.
Oh well :)

anyways,

I currently own a pair of HD600's, and T1's,

what would be a great complement to these two? Perhaps a bit more in the bass area?

I was looking at the he500's, any thoughts? (It looks different enough: they're heavier, and planars); also would this work with an apogee duet 2???

My budget is around $500

Thanks again,!!!

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 15
Alpha Dog is $499 now at Mr. Speakers.com, they're probably the best you can get with your budget.

Apogee Duet 2? Hard for me tho say, I had the original Duet, but I would think you'd need some kind for headphone amp with the Alpha Dogs, nothing expensive, a Magni will make them sound sensational.

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 15
Do you like rock? Maybe a Grado then. A lot of people think the Grado sound is the king for rock
smily_headphones1.gif

Grados are great but @Jeangenie mentioned he wants something that does bass well so Grados I think should be not on the list. As mentioned by other people, Alpha Dogs would be great.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 15
Check out planar models for sure. Getting a different driver tech will definitely offer something "different".

However, what amp will you be driving them with? Amps that play well with high impedance cans don't always play well will low impedance/low efficiency cans. If you don't have a good pairing, you might need to budget a bit for a new amp, too (not much, though; a Schiit Magni 2 @ $99 will probably play nicely with sub-$500 planars).

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 15
Grados are great but @Jeangenie
 mentioned he wants something that does bass well so Grados I think should be not on the list. As mentioned by other people, Alpha Dogs would be great.

Actually, the OP said "Perhaps a bit more in the bass area?" Which means he's looking for ideas, right?

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 15
All ideas are welcomed. I was leaning towards open backs though.

I also wanted to try out planars because they just seem so interesting.

The more I look at the LCD2s the more my mouth waters...

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 15
Actually, the OP said "Perhaps a bit more in the bass area?" Which means he's looking for ideas, right?

Perhaps, then Grados are not so bad. They're just... er... Grado-sounding that all. :)

All ideas are welcomed. I was leaning towards open backs though.

I also wanted to try out planars because they just seem so interesting.

The more I look at the LCD2s the more my mouth waters...

If you want open-back planar and want it cheap, go for the HiFiMan HE400S that will be released soon. It's $299 so it'll be quite light on your wallet and it's easy to drive at 22ohms and 9X decibels.

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 15
Perhaps, then Grados are not so bad. They're just... er... Grado-sounding that all. :)

Exactly. When someone is looking for a new sound to complement what they have, Grados are definitely one to try out. Although not if you have to commit to the purchase since they don't suit everyone :)

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 15
Exactly. When someone is looking for a new sound to complement what they have, Grados are definitely one to try out. Although not if you have to commit to the purchase since they don't suit everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

True^ I just bought a Grado and modded it just because it's a Grado. It's a gotta have for a audiophile oneday I think because of the unique sound sig.

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 15
True^ I just bought a Grado and modded it just because it's a Grado. It's a gotta have for a audiophile oneday I think because of the unique sound sig.

Yep. I think everyone has to try them. It's definitely love 'em or hate 'em. But if you love 'em, there's nothing quite like them :gs1000smile:

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 15
Tried a pair of SR60's about 15 years ago and blew a driver listening to Van Halen the 1st 5 minutes I had them. Haven't trusted Grado since.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 15
  Tried a pair of SR60's about 15 years ago and blew a driver listening to Van Halen the 1st 5 minutes I had them. Haven't trusted Grado since.

Hahahahaha. They're one of the only remaining headphones that can be taken apart with a hair dryer I think :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back