3rd interview = job?
Apr 1, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #17 of 33
I had 5 interviews with one company, and got the job. turned out to be a horrible place to work, but hey.

Apr 1, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had 5 interviews with one company, and got the job. turned out to be a horrible place to work, but hey.

My last job, I had five interviews, starting with a phone interview, over a period of a couple of months (with the exception of the last one, I was convinced I wasn't going to get hired after each one). Once I got hired, I found out why: the guy hired for my position right before me lasted one day, so the owner of the company was very gun shy as a result of that experience.
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #21 of 33
This is typical of some companies. The interviews you have had so far are probably where many would be weeded out, and from the sound of it, it might be a case where there are many applicants. The phone interview was probably cursory and probably determined you were going to get called in for the test. The interview with the manager showed how well you would work with your boss i.e. how much he liked you and the test was on your skills, etc. The latest interview was probably the last step, as you have passed all their other criteria so far. The 3 week waiting is probably to meet with several different people in the corporate food chain discussing you and the other candidates (if there are any) and also to run background checks, etc. I know about 2-3 weeks is standard practice though.

Notice the many "probablys" in the preceding sentences; I have no inside experience with this process, other than working directly with people who do hiring, and talking to them about candidates, etc, as well as my own interview experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

Best of luck, hope everything works out for the best.

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #22 of 33
Having been on the hiring side of the table my guess is they like you a lot but you're up against another candidate they also like very much. Considered writing then a letter telling them how much you'd like to work for their company and summarizing how you quickly could become an asset. A letter, not email, could give you a huge 'leg up' over any competition.

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #23 of 33
haha not trying to one-up people, but I had 5 interviews once. First, some generic hiring company which dealt with all pre-applications. Then an interview with 1 person from the actual company where they didn't seem to know enough technical details themselves to warrant discussing the job with me. Then an interview with 2 ppl actually doing the job and the manager there. Then some kind of problem solving/fitting-in-the-team mental test. Then some interview with a guy high up in the company who I guess wanted to put his final stamp of approval on things. Bare in mind I had to go back in DURING WORK HOURS of my previous job to do all these interviews. Was such a pain in the a55. And after all that, I worked the first month, saw what a dodgy/underpaying place it was, spent the next month off sick recovering from an operation (so I went negative heaps of 'sick leave' hours), during which time I got an offer for another job earning 33% more money. So the first day back I handed them a resignation lol. They more or less just let me go and said we'd call it a day WRT the leave owing (phew!).

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, you guys are counting talking over the phone as an interview?

I've had a hiring manager (the guy who would be my boss) speak to me for a bit over 3 hours during a couple of phone conversations before flying me across the country for the on site interview, during which all that guy did was give me a tour and introduce me to the others. He told the others that he'd spent enough time with me on the phone already.

So yes, talking on the phone does indeed count as an interview. In fact, I won't travel more than an hour by car, and certainly will not fly anywhere, until I've had the opportunity to ask a lot of my own questions over the phone. Many unscrupulous recruiters out there don't give candidates the real story on jobs--they just want that face-to-face to occur, regardless of whether there is a real fit between candidate and client.

The goal of one rather large tech services firm that places engineers and scientists nationwide is to get the candidate placed on a six month temp-to-perm basis...because they charge 100% markup on the hourly rate the worker is paid. So rather than getting a 25 to 33% cut of annual salary as a typical direct-hire, commission based recruiter charges, they shoot for 50%. And they are the worst when it comes to discouraging any extensive phone interview before the face-to-face contact. No wonder why...

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #27 of 33
My experience, honestly, is the more interviews you have the more likely it is that they're looking for an excuse not to hire you. After the typical phone screen followed by face to face.

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #28 of 33
Hmmm, I got called back for 4, yes 4, interviews only to be called and told I didn't get the job. This was even for a lame part time job too. One of those interviews didn't even happen, I showed up and they didn't even have anyone prepared to interview me. It was a joke. This was Best Buy, btw.

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, you guys are counting talking over the phone as an interview?

Every single contact you have with a prospective employer is an "interview" in the sense that you are being assessed every single time, whether you realize it or not. In fact, this is true whether *they* realize it or not also - opinions will be formed based on your behavior, whether consciously or unconsciously, that could affect your prospects for a job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back