3D Sound Shop - Custom PRIRs for the Smyth Realiser A16
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2021 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

Litlgi74

Member of the Trade: 3D Sound Shop
Hello A16 owners...

At this point... I think I can share a screenshot and some info of a soon to be released project... It should go (fully) live in a month or two... might be longer.

The website is www.3dsoundshop.com ... just the basics for now.

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 10.30.09 PM.png

Universal PRIRs...

Through the website... 3Dsoundshop will be offering custom "Universal" PRIRs to existing owners of the A16 Smyth Realiser. These PRIRs will be produced in a sound controlled recording studio with the enhancement of room correction software. These PRIRs will be available for purchase and download via the website.

The listening rooms available for purchase will be made up of the following speakers brands.
  • Dutch and Dutch - Delayed
  • Bowers & Wilkins
  • Genelec
  • Paradigm
  • JBL
  • KEF
  • Klipsch
  • Elac
  • Focal
  • Yamaha
  • Buchardt
  • Kali
* Try before you buy Dolby Atmos Demos will be available for each of the speaker brands...
** "Universal" PRIRs are for the A16 owner who does not have access to loudspeakers, space or time to take their own measurements, or access to a recording studio for "In Person" PRIRs, etc.

In Person PRIRs...

For those looking for the best possible sound experience from their A16... "In person", recording studio PRIRs will also be made available (by appointment only) for purchase through the website. (The recording studio is conveniently located just 20 minutes from the Newark airport in New Jersey.)

* That being said... the speaker brands in the list above may not necessarily be the same speakers used for "In person" PRIR measurements. These details are still being worked out.

For Certain...
  • "Universal" and "In Person" Dolby Atmos PRIRs will be available in at least 16 channels (9.1.6).
  • The studio size does allow for a complete Dolby Atmos experience... without compromising on any of the speaker location specs that Dolby requires.
  • The recording studio is perfect for near field captures. The goal was to use a space just large enough to achieve a multi-channel, single listener experience... and just small enough (with the help of room correction) to eliminate the sound of the room.
  • If preferred... "In Person" Dolby Atmos PRIRs can be done with (most) customer owned (bookshelf sized) speakers.
  • "In Person" PRIRs will only be done on weekends, and by appointment only.

Updates To Come...

Its going to be exciting!

Any and all questions should be asked via info@3dsoundshop.com

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 73
Universal PRIRs completed:

Both 9.1.6 and 15.1.8

Paradigm Studio 20s V5
KEF LS50 Meta
Klipsch RP-600M
B&W 705 S2
JBL L82 Classic
Kali IN-8
Focal Trio6 Be
Buchardt A500
Genelec 8351b

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 73
For those who may have interest...

If you could PM me your answers to the following questions... your responses will definitely help shape my final decisions.

*These are not trick questions and there are no wrong answers.
  1. Have you created (or attempted) your own PRIR for your Realiser?
  2. Are you using the BBC or Surrey, or another users PRIRs? Do they work for you?
  3. What brand and model headphone do you use with your A16?
  4. Are you the only user of your A16 or do you use your Realiser to watch movies/listen to music with someone else at the same time?
  5. Do you use (or plan to use) your Realiser in 16 or 24 channel mode?
  6. PART A: What would you expect/be willing to pay for a single, Dolby spec, 16 channel, high end speaker, recording studio quality PRIR? (That was wordy... Lol)
  7. PART B: Same scenario as PART A.. But with 10 PRIRs (all speaker brands listed... Dutch&Dutch, Genelec, Bowers and Wilkins, etc)
Updates, including pricing will be coming soon... I am excited to get your feedback.

I appreciate you taking the time...

Apr 12, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 73
For those who may have interest...

If you could PM me your answers to the following questions... your responses will definitely help shape my final decisions.

*These are not trick questions and there are no wrong answers.
  1. Have you created (or attempted) your own PRIR for your Realiser?
  2. Are you using the BBC or Surrey, or another users PRIRs? Do they work for you?
  3. What brand and model headphone do you use with your A16?
  4. think
  5. Do you use (or plan to use) your Realiser in 16 or 24 channel mode?
  6. PART A: What would you expect/be willing to pay for a single, Dolby spec, 16 channel, high end speaker, recording studio quality PRIR? (That was wordy... Lol)
  7. PART B: Same scenario as PART A.. But with 10 PRIRs (all speaker brands listed... Dutch&Dutch, Genelec, Bowers and Wilkins, etc)
Updates, including pricing will be coming soon... I am excited to get your feedback.

I appreciate you taking the time...

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 73
A Frequently Asked Question page has been added to the website: www.3dsoundshop.com/faq

If there is something I've missed... please don't hesitate to ask.

PS. My wife will be undergoing surgery this week... So the next update may not be for a few weeks.

May 2, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 73
If there is something I've missed...
Maybe add the underlined part:

What is the best way to test the online demos?​

To get the best results from the online Dolby Atmos Demos... It may be necessary for you to close your eyes and not to move your head during audio playback.
(Because without head tracking your brain will not get the "feedback" it expects when moving your head and that decreases the chance of getting the out-of-head experience.)

May 2, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 73
Yes... I agree... Fixed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 73
Things are starting to get back to normal in my world... Looks like I should be back in the studio June 6th!

May 20, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #13 of 73
For the DIY kind of person... "How To Guides" will be soon available via the website as well.

9.1.6 Cover.jpg
12.1.10 Cover.jpg
15.1.8 Cover.jpg
Cover crop.jpg
Might be helpful to spend some time explaining what the difference is between these various multi channel PRIRs. For example, why would someone prefer a 23 channel Prir to one with 24 channels. Also perhaps a little discourse on how the size of the room affects the appropriate number of channels. Would be nice to come to a deeper understanding of this process.

May 20, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 73
Might be helpful to spend some time explaining what the difference is between these various multi channel PRIRs. For example, why would someone prefer a 23 channel Prir to one with 24 channels. Also perhaps a little discourse on how the size of the room affects the appropriate number of channels. Would be nice to come to a deeper understanding of this process.

I'll give it a whirl...

why would someone prefer a 23 channel Prir to one with 24 channels.

My explanations are based simply on the "ease / convenience" of "DIY" PRIR creation using the two speaker method.

In this example... The 23 channel (12.1.10) vs 24 channel (15.1.8) do have similar speakers used in their listening rooms... But precise care of speaker placement is necessary in the creation of 15.1.8 vs 12.1.10. This alone may be enough to choose one method over the other.
--------

30° - Red
10° - Green

12.1.10: L, R, C, SW, Lw, Rw, Lss, Rss, Lb, Rb, Lrs1*, Rrs1*, Cr, Lfh, Rfh, Ltf, Rtf, Ltm, Rtm, Ltr, Rtr, Lrh, Rrh
15.1.8: L, R, C, SW, Lw, Rw, Lss, Rss, Lb, Rb, Lrs1, Rrs1, Lsc, Rsc, Ls1, Rs1, Lfh, Rfh, Ltf, Rtf, Ltr, Rtr, Lrh, Rrh

In the bed layer of the 23 channel (12.1.10) setup... All look angles are based on the Left (L) and Right (R) speakers being at 30° to the listener. Because of this 30° foundation... All other bed layer channels can be easily measured by simply turning to a set look angle based on the 30° of the Left (L) and Right (R) speakers... It gets a bit more complicated with the 24 channel (15.1.8) setup. This method can still be done with two speakers... But to get the appropriate look angles... the bed layer speakers must be physically moved to the corresponding look angles of 10° and 30°. In this comparison... The 23 channel (12.1.10) is less time consuming and requires less effort when compared to the 24 channel (15.1.8) setup.

As far as the sound of speaker placement is concerned... I personally find the two extra center channels of the 15.1.8 setup to be more appealing when it comes to dialogue. But the two extra top channels of the 12.1.10 setup do add a bit to the Atmos experience. Choosing between the two is difficult... But if "ease / convenience" are the main factor... the 23 channel (12.1.10) is hard to beat.

Also perhaps a little discourse on how the size of the room affects the appropriate number of channels.

I can't really comment on this. But for me... The more speakers the better! 😀 In my PRIRs... I am trying to achieve the ideal (according to Dolby) speaker placement scenario. This is rarely possible (without, DSP, delay, etc) in an actual home theater environment... but can be achieved (virtually) using the two speaker measurement method.

* The current firmware requires a little trickery with the Lrs1 and Rrs1 channels of the 12.1.10 setup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back