3D printed headphones
May 17, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #46 of 91
its very visible to me. Ill make a cylinder in Fusion shortly after seeing this.

UPDATE: Made a 20mm Diam cylinder and exported it as an OBJ. Imported it into TC and TC says the length of the cylinder is "19.94mm" but the rest are as they should be. IDK why TC is showing it like that or if my object does not have a 1:1 diameter or length+width. So I went back to the Fusion work and used the measuring tool with "All Decimals" enable to get the measurement of the diameter and it is 20.00mm.

UPDATE 2: The issue does not occur with STL for both cylinder and cone object I made for driver clamp. When they are OBJ the issue occurs.
Good to hear. I've honestly never done anything in an OBJ format, I have always used STL. The difference might just be the way OBJ files encode geometry. OBJ is more widely used in 3d modeling rather than 3d printing; STL files use a buttload of triangles to make a shape and is pretty much only used for 3d printing.

May 17, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #47 of 91
Good to hear. I've honestly never done anything in an OBJ format, I have always used STL. The difference might just be the way OBJ files encode geometry. OBJ is more widely used in 3d modeling rather than 3d printing; STL files use a buttload of triangles to make a shape and is pretty much only used for 3d printing.
Just finished up everything (replacing anything round with the fusion360 cylinder, except for the driver membrane protection because that one doesnt matter and too lazy)

May 17, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #48 of 91
Just finished up everything (replacing anything round with the fusion360 cylinder, except for the driver membrane protection because that one doesnt matter and too lazy)
Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

May 17, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #49 of 91
Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
mwildebeast/TKNX (TKNX's is a clone of mwildebeast with slight changes) has his own method of driver clamping
1652837262142.png

May 17, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #50 of 91
mwildebeast/TKNX (TKNX's is a clone of mwildebeast with slight changes) has his own method of driver clamping 1652837262142.png
What actually holds it in place? Do you glue it down, or is there another part that attaches behind the driver?

May 17, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #51 of 91
What actually holds it in place? Do you glue it down, or is there another part that attaches behind the driver?
Dudes just have the driver magnet clamped between that 45 degree bevel (dark shaded part) so pretty much it just grips/holds the entire driver place. This also sounds like PETG is suitable for this but I gotta ask mwildebeast.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #54 of 91
I’m finding that a resin printer is better for a lot of headphone parts. Smoother with better detail. Playing around right now with some tough flexible resin for parts that need to bend a bit (like headband parts).

May 25, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #55 of 91
May 26, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #58 of 91
@DeweyCH I am very stuck on designing the jack mount/bar for my borealis clones. Can u have a look at it and suggest anything? https://www.tinkercad.com/things/dspgnTCeFTM-indrick-borealis
I'm honestly not entirely sure what I'm looking at. When you say 'jack mount,' do you mean the extruded part that holds the miniXLR jack? I always tend to make my designs kind of like how ZMF or HiFiMAN does it, with the jack going perpendicular through the outside of the cup. Much easier to design.

May 26, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #59 of 91
I'm honestly not entirely sure what I'm looking at. When you say 'jack mount,' do you mean the extruded part that holds the miniXLR jack? I always tend to make my designs kind of like how ZMF or HiFiMAN does it, with the jack going perpendicular through the outside of the cup. Much easier to design.
The rectangular piece with a cutout-curve. Thats where my 3.5mm jack goes in.

May 26, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #60 of 91
The rectangular piece with a cutout-curve. Thats where my 3.5mm jack goes in.
Right, my bad, wasn't logged in to TC for some reason. My recommendation would be to make a cylinder (jack's diameter + 2mm) that's perpendicular to wherever you want the jack to go, then put a cylindrical hole the diameter of the jack into it, but only make the hole up to 1mm before the end of the whole thing. Then make one more cylindrical hole that's the diameter of the smaller threaded part of your 3.5mm jack.

Something like this:

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/9J0UPEBPL51

Whether your 3.5mm jack has its larger plate designed to be outside of or behind the outcropping shouldn't matter, just finagle it a little bit so you can screw it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back