3D printed closed headphones with HD800 driver
Feb 12, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #61 of 166
WOW how did I miss this thread?  Incredible skills.

I was just last night surfing Ali ... looking at those exact drivers!!

I am a big fan of ear-speaker designs, the K1000 is one of my all time faves.  I just got an MDR PFRV1 the other week and am very pleased.  The imaging and soundstage are unreal for a "headphone".  They make my K701 sound like an etymotic ER4.

If imaging and soundstage are what you are after, go for an earspeaker design.

Good luck with whichever you chose!!

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #62 of 166
Feb 14, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #63 of 166
This looks like a more finished product than the McIntosh MHP-1000. If we go by looks alone it's hard to believe the McIntosh MHP-1000 costs $2000. He should pick up a new profession and start accumulating HD800 drivers for modification. The B&W Nautilus/HD800/MDR-Z7 looking super headphone

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #64 of 166
  Having just removed the actual grilles (a few days ago) I'm 99.999% certain that is what is causing the most resonance inside of the HD800 are those grilles resonating straight back to the metal ring you're looking at, as that ring is sitting over the edges of the grilles
holding them down.

Has the bass quantity remained the same?

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #65 of 166
  Having just removed the actual grilles (a few days ago) I'm 99.999% certain that is what is causing the most resonance inside of the HD800 are those grilles resonating straight back to the metal ring you're looking at, as that ring is sitting over the edges of the grilles
holding them down.

Are you referencing the grill and ring on the ear side of the driver? If so I' wondering how the driver would stay in place? The front of the driver has a removable drill and dust fabric, but if helps clamping down the driver.

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #66 of 166
Great thread.  I thought it was a different head fi user named frank and I was really surprised.  This makes a lot more sense.  Cool stuff. 
popcorn.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #68 of 166
  imagine the potential!

you mean the potential for horrible acoustics and the most confused sounding headphone ever? yeah, that's exactly what I was imagining >___________>

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #69 of 166
  you mean the potential for horrible acoustics and the most confused sounding headphone ever? yeah, that's exactly what I was imagining >___________>

I'm thinking more like separate drivers to handle different frequency ranges resulting in clearer and better sound along with potentially larger sound stage.
I think my imagination is cooler than yours
cool.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #70 of 166

I'm thinking more like separate drivers to handle different frequency ranges resulting in clearer and better sound along with potentially larger sound stage.
I think my imagination is cooler than yours
cool.gif

I doubt he want's to design a crossover for that

plus these drivers ain't cheap

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #73 of 166

Well, he already has four of them XD

Well, the price for 4 drivers are less than the original hd800, plus you can have more fun, and possibly 2 different headphones
To be honest I havent thought much about how to implement 2 drivers on one side, so take it lightly.
Since making a pair of earpads is so hard, any one know any angled leather earpads that has a larger opening (especially the width) than the Audeze earpads?
I want to try the Stax sr007, but read some where that the SR009 earpads has even larger opening. Can anyone post a picture of the sr009 earpads, side by side with the sr 007 would be splendid.
The only problem is price, I've read somewhere that you can order the sr009 pads for $140?

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #74 of 166
Well, the price for 4 drivers are less than the original hd800, plus you can have more fun, and possibly 2 different headphones
To be honest I havent thought much about how to implement 2 drivers on one side, so take it lightly.
Since making a pair of earpads is so hard, any one know any angled leather earpads that has a larger opening (especially the width) than the Audeze earpads?
I want to try the Stax sr007, but read some where that the SR009 earpads has even larger opening. Can anyone post a picture of the sr009 earpads, side by side with the sr 007 would be splendid.
The only problem is price, I've read somewhere that you can order the sr009 pads for $140?

Have you looked into the Angled pads from Lawton Audio? This might work, and they are real leather to boot.
http://www.lawtonaudio.com/fostexanglepads.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back