$399 Apple iPod Touch 6G with 128GB storage and A8 chip
May 7, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #181 of 223
It's a great device, sounds really good. UI can't be beat either.

Yeah, the UI is great...and it's what I've used for the last 18 years so it's what I'm used to. Since I work in a creative field, my first computer was an Apple...it's always been an Apple...thus, when I started buying home home gear it made sense for me to get Apple as well...and nearly 2 decades later I've grown with them and stuck with them. Not claiming they're the best and not interested in jumping into an Apple vs Android debate, but it's best for ME because of what I know and am used to and whatnot. That was basically the hangup I was having on standalone DAPs --- would I truly enjoy them as an Apple guy, or would I get frustrated?

Can't believe I didn't think of the 128GB iPod as a viable option before. Like I said, if it + Dragonfly (or Mojo) equals or bests the players I was considering...and I'm already in the ecosystem...and the App Store on iPod allows me to use thinks like HF Player rather than being stuck with native Music Player if I don't want to...it really seems like a no-brainer.

UNLESS there's something I'm not thinking of. Specifically, will it work w/ the CCK and allow me to use the external DAC/AMP options like Dragonfly or MOJO? I can't tell if you can actually use Lightning and bypass -- this page seems to imply you can only do it on iPhone or iPad. I have no idea on iPod (but the iPod seems nearly identical to the iPhone).

May 7, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #182 of 223
Also, totally forgot to mention, but I ordered the Sine + Cipher cable (at the time intending it to be used with my current and future iPhones). If I like it as my portable can, it seems that would further cement the choice to go for iPod.

May 7, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #183 of 223
  Yeah, the UI is great...and it's what I've used for the last 18 years so it's what I'm used to. Since I work in a creative field, my first computer was an Apple...it's always been an Apple...thus, when I started buying home home gear it made sense for me to get Apple as well...and nearly 2 decades later I've grown with them and stuck with them. Not claiming they're the best and not interested in jumping into an Apple vs Android debate, but it's best for ME because of what I know and am used to and whatnot. That was basically the hangup I was having on standalone DAPs --- would I truly enjoy them as an Apple guy, or would I get frustrated?

Can't believe I didn't think of the 128GB iPod as a viable option before. Like I said, if it + Dragonfly (or Mojo) equals or bests the players I was considering...and I'm already in the ecosystem...and the App Store on iPod allows me to use thinks like HF Player rather than being stuck with native Music Player if I don't want to...it really seems like a no-brainer.

UNLESS there's something I'm not thinking of. Specifically, will it work w/ the CCK and allow me to use the external DAC/AMP options like Dragonfly or MOJO? I can't tell if you can actually use Lightning and bypass -- this page seems to imply you can only do it on iPhone or iPad. I have no idea on iPod (but the iPod seems nearly identical to the iPhone).

iPod 6 128GB, CCK, and MOJO work very well together. Use the old CCK mobile as it is compact. The newer CCK USB 3 stationary so you can charge your iPod while using it with the MOJO. You won't look back. 

May 28, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #187 of 223
  agree...their friendly UI, slim and lightweight profile is what many other DAP makers dream of imo
(here's looking at you ak jr and sony)....add a new dragonfly or mojo and bob's your uncle.
even the new ak 330 (?) about 1k doesnt' offer any streaming...now that feature omission by AK is something
that i don't get, esp being a new model and streaming's growing popularity.

some of you guys with the $$$$ gear might laugh at this but just out of the box
i'm listening to it with spotify extreme (340kps) and the included earpods.
and you know what: the sound is quite decent, enjoyable...no wonder this little sucker is so popular still.

can't wait to hook it up to my better iems and a dragonfly or mojo.

Canali - did you finally make the iPod purchase? What version did you opt for, 32 or 64?

I'm still switching back and forth between my Red and Mojo. 
cool.gif

May 28, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #188 of 223
  Canali - did you finally make the iPod purchase? What version did you opt for, 32 or 64?

I'm still switching back and forth between my Red and Mojo. 
cool.gif

Darned I felt in my spidey sense that you'd find me and ask me this lol...arrghh...32gb 
rolleyes.gif

i couldn't resist the price:
brand new Cdn200 (us150) boxed, sealed...
could unload it easily enough.

I've been downloading all day ...have 8.3gb left...lol...
some 2000 songs downloaded in  larger formats.i could prob still get 9gb once i cleaned some
things up.

am hunting around for a 64gb  version....that is one thing about streaming:
it opens you up to soooo many more artists and genres to check out.
i'm like a kid in a candy store right now.

so what about you...which way are you leaning as per the mojo vs df?

i'm heading back to test them all again next week or so at my local retailer.

May 28, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #189 of 223

Darned I felt in my spidey sense that you'd find me and ask me this lol...arrghh...32gb 
rolleyes.gif

i couldn't resist the price:
brand new Cdn200 (us150) boxed, sealed...
could unload it easily enough.

I've been downloading all day ...have 8.3gb left...lol...
some 2000 songs downloaded in  larger formats.i could prob still get 9gb once i cleaned some
things up.

am hunting around for a 64gb  version....that is one thing about streaming:
it opens you up to soooo many more artists and genres to check out.
i'm like a kid in a candy store right now.

so what about you...which way are you leaning as per the mojo vs df?

i'm heading back to test them all again next week or so at my local retailer.

Wow, you're at 2000 songs already?!?!? You were just at 500 when you talked about it the other day. 
wink.gif

You're right about streaming. And it's almost like a gateway drug (and then like you said, you many times to end up purchasing).

I am going to return the Mojo and keep the Red. Both improve the sound of my laptop music for sure, but I honestly can't tell the two apart from each other...other than the $400 price tag. I'd rather use that money for something else. I'm already happy with my portable set-up, as I just use my Sine + Cipher cable plugged directly into my 128GB iPod 6th Gen.

Good luck w/ your decision!

May 28, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #190 of 223
lol...to be clear: i had 500 itunes...and the rest were bunch of songs in my spotify acct i downloaded as extreme in 'offline' mode
all the best to you, too.

Quote:

Wow, you're at 2000 songs already?!?!? You were just at 500 when you talked about it the other day. 
wink.gif

You're right about streaming. And it's almost like a gateway drug (and then like you said, you many times to end up purchasing).

I am going to return the Mojo and keep the Red. Both improve the sound of my laptop music for sure, but I honestly can't tell the two apart from each other...other than the $400 price tag. I'd rather use that money for something else. I'm already happy with my portable set-up, as I just use my Sine + Cipher cable plugged directly into my 128GB iPod 6th Gen.

Good luck w/ your decision!

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #192 of 223
I can't comment on the S7, but an iPad, if it's a recent iPad, then it won't sound that different to a current iPod touch, meaning that the output of an iPad is already pretty good.

However if you're using Sennheiser HD600s then I'd recommend an outboard DAC/Amp, such as a Mojo, to get a better sound quality and give you an amp that's more suited to driving full size headphones.

As far as the audio differences between the 5th and 6th gen iPod touch are concerned then I have to say they are pretty equal (I own both) - they both use the same DAC/amp combination. Obviously the 6th gen has the better processor and graphics, which does give it an advantage with other things, but for audio there's little in it.

By the way, it would be nice if you ease up on the CAPITAL LETTERS - it reads like you're shouting, or trying to be Death from a Terry Pratchett novel.

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #194 of 223
Hey guys is there a problem using AIFF files on the iPod? I see it listed as AIFF compatible, and I've ripped AIFF without changing iTunes standard AIFF setting. Planning to use a Mojo and Sine.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #195 of 223
Hey guys is there a problem using AIFF files on the iPod? I see it listed as AIFF compatible, and I've ripped AIFF without changing iTunes standard AIFF setting. Planning to use a Mojo and Sine.

Shouldn't be, but I'd recommend converting to ALAC for use on the iPod as it'll save around 50% of the space with no loss in quality. ALAC is Apple's version of FLAC.

If you're using a Mojo or SINE then be aware that Apple Music won't support anything above 16bit 48KHz. If you want to do HiRes audio then you'll need a serperate App, such as Kaisertone to play HiRes files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back