360/PC headset
Jan 17, 2011 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

alidan

Head-Fier
this first part is more or less a direct coppy paste from another fourm that isnt realy responding to me.
-----
my little brother recently broke his turtle Beach for the second time and it's out of warranty, what broke was a little piece of plastic that held the can onto the headband.

this is what he had, http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/ps3-gaming-headsets/ear-force-px21.aspx
this is what he's looking athttp://www.turtlebeach.com/products/pc-gaming-headsets/ear-force-z2.aspx
know personally what the PX21 set I really wouldn't like him getting another turtle Beach because of how flimsy the whole thing felt and considering that the part that broke off as a small small piece of plastic and the whole things now unusable, I would really liked him to get something a bit higher quality. 

What I'm trying to find a something that can at the very least PC only, but since he also like one for the 360 also

Is there any kind of headphones that are kind of cheap that have some kind of medal for around the headset area where the cans are so it's not like one little piece of plastic breaks and the whole things unusable

I think my little brother's budget on this is up to $100 but the cheaper the better.
------

360 compatibility isn't that important, but what is important to its  sturdy headphones with a microphone attached

I'm honestly at a loss what I'm doing this because any place I go to is telling me to get something for it "gamers" but the audio quality on the PX 21 that my little brother had was absolute crap. He doesn't care to much about the audio quality of the headphones so long as they are better than the $30 speakers she has what he really wants is a microphone for the computer but he's dead set on having a headset, I'm a giant automotive getting a headset and get him headphones and a microphone attached to the cable separately but if I can't do that is anyone here able to help me find a good headset for him?

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 10
Will have a Zaiwo Hammer in my home in a day or two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvoyeMkrnT4

build quality looks superb. Review mentioning they sound like crap like most gaming headsets but directional audio is supposed to be good. Will be interesting to hear. I only got it because it comes free with the XL2410T monitor I bought.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 10
ok, does anyone happen to know how well the audio side for those hammer ones stacks up to the px21?

also i showed the video to my little brother and he thinks they would be uncomfortable to ware, and i have to agree, at least for long periods of time. but those look like there is no chance in hell of him destroying them. 

also any idea about how long the warrenty is? i have had bad experiances with headphones that have a piece of plastic inbetween the headphones and where you plug them in. the px21 broke that way once, and now that it broke a second time, its out of warrenty. 

any other sugestions? im open to as many as possible, and letting my little brother decide. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 10
There is also the German Maestros. Had the 8.35D monitors for a while. Ugly as little else but I can´t see how you could possibly destroy them. You can stomp them and abuse them like hell.
http://www.german-maestro-shop.de/epages/61902279.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61902279/Products/%22GMH%20C%208.100%20D%22
As for comfort the leather ear pads does cause some ear sweat and there is some clamp so it depend a bit but hte 8.35D did have good isolation.

Qpad has this DT 770 Pro based headset but it´s quite expensive. http://www.webhallen.com/hardvara/93825-qpad_qh-1339_professional_headset
DT 770 Pro comfort is a bit better while still having quite good isolation. Build quality is not as good but you have to really abuse it to destroy it.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #6 of 10
Jan 19, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 10
i have to ask this, is there anything good at bestbuy? my parrents decided thats where he will get them from because they can get a 2-3 year warrenty in store for it there.

is there anything good? or should we just go with a turtal beach even though i know it will break again? 

--edit-- any thing from bestbuy online can be bought in store, it will be shipped there and we can pick it up and get a warrenty one it, just saying this in case anyone doesnt know. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 10
No don´t get something that you know will break. If so you wonder why you didn´t spend a bit more for quality instead. You can easilly ruin yourself on 30$ headsets.

I just got my Zowie Hammer. Build quality appear really nice for it´s price. Haven´t seen something that appear more durable in term of <50$ headsets even though the finish leave a lot to desire.. If something would break it would be cable or driver I suspect. Hard to know how durable those parts are of course. As for comfort there is no clamping whatsoever. Any possible comfort issue I can imagine would be the headband on the top of your head. time will tell.Isolation is not world class due to lack of clamp and dampening material inside the headphones I suppose but it does offer some.

As for sound very early but yes they have no bass extension to speak of but they are not terrible bright either. Can be a tad sibilant though.  Isolation is not that great. Another issue is the cable that is ridiculously short. As short as on headphones that is supposed to be portable. Hook them up directly to your LCD Monitor must be the idea behind it otherwise you need extensions. You need it anyway if you are going to connect the microphone to your computer. 

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 10
we went to best buy before i got a comment back.

my parrents wouldn't allow my little brother to buy from over the internet. so at best buy, i seen something i heard of before, for being decent, they worked with ps3, 360, and pc.

my little brother decided that i know nothing about anything, and bought a razer headset. 
the headset to me is uncomfortable, but the sound quality, from something that i think was 70$ is supriseingly good, granted not as good as hd555 that i use, but for my little brother its a GIANT step up from his turtle beach, and on that same note, the design is allot like the hammer, for attaching the cans to the headband, and the microphone on it isnt horrific too. heres hopeing it lasts a long time, as my little brother has drawn the short end of the stick more time than he deserves with things breaking on him, even when he takes care of them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back