340 € budget : Q701 or K701/702 + headphones amp ?
Apr 20, 2013 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

XP_98

500+ Head-Fier
Hello
can you please help me to choose :

I need to replace my old Beyerdynamics DT-911.
I have a budget of maximum 340 euros.
My gear : Marantz PM-50 amplifier, Marantz CD-60 CD player.
I do not plan to use this headphones with portable gear (for this I have Etymotics ERP-4 canalphones and am satisfied with them).

The AKG Q701 matches my budget, and I red a lot of good reviews.
But should I better buy the cheaper K701 (or 702 ?) and add an entry level headphone amplifier (and if yes, which one ?) ?
I have no space for a valve amplifier, it has to be very compact. [edit] If I removed my tapedeck, I could also put a valve/tube headphone amplifier --> new questions...

Living in France, please mention brands that can be found in Europe.

Thanks in advance for your advices

:)

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 27
Hifiman HE-400 with speaker tabs, then use it with the receiver maybe? How good is the receiver for speakers?

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 27
In these price range you can get also Beyerdynamic DT880 (cca. 230€), Grado SR225 (270 €) or Senns HD600 (260 €) or HD 650 (320 €). I doubt, you can get a quality new amp for a 100 €.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:
In these price range you can get also Beyerdynamic DT880 (cca. 230€), Grado SR225 (270 €) or Senns HD600 (260 €) or HD 650 (320 €). I doubt, you can get a quality new amp for a 100 €.

Are those Headphones easier to use without a dedicated headphone amplifier ? I thought the Q701 was a better choice ?

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 27
What about the combo :
K701 + Pro-Ject headbox S (not SE or II) ?
Or
K701 + Musical Fidelity V-CAN2 ?

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 27
Oh jeah, I forgot about impedance. Couple a months ago I was buying new headphones, and those were the one I was choosing from. I had the same budget. The only difference is, that I knew then, that I would be buyin an amp later on, so I settlet with HD650.  Actually Q701 were second on my list :) Grados are the only one from my list, that don't need an amp.

I'm don't know much about amps. I remembered, that the Shiit magni is considered a good amp for the budget. It is $99. Being from USA, you have to account VAT to the price. But as I said, I don't know much about amps.

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 27
But it all comes down to what kind of headphones do you want and what kind of music they fit best. I didn't buy Q701 because I was affraid they were to bright for me. I listen to a lot of metal and hard rock. But in all honesty, I have never tried them. With some more cashflow going my way I could buy them in near future to complement my HD650.

BTW, I tried also Sennheiser momentum and they are great. You also don't need amp. The only problem is that they are on-the-ear and maybe not suited for long listening sessions at home.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:
But it all comes down to what kind of headphones do you want and what kind of music they fit best.

I listen mostly classical music on my home equipment, a little pop, a little jazz, a little folk. No rock'n'roll (at home at least).

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 27
K701 + O2

K701 From www.Thomann.de and O2 from http://www.headnhifi.com

199 € K701 , 125 € O2 => 325 € Shipped . A great headphone (especially for you kind of music) + a very good value headphone amp and very compact , exactly what you want ^^ .

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:
K701 + O2

K701 From www.Thomann.de and O2 from http://www.headnhifi.com

199 € K701 , 125 € O2 => 325 € Shipped . A great headphone (especially for you kind of music) + a very good value headphone amp and very compact , exactly what you want ^^ .

Out of curiosity, how the O2 compare to the SPL auditor, V-100, M stage matrix? 

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Out of curiosity, how the O2 compare to the SPL auditor, V-100, M stage matrix? 

O2 > M-stage for sure not that the M-stage is bad , not at all it was my first real headphone amp and i licked it a lot but if you are aiming details/transparency no coloroation O2 is better  . With easy to drive headphone O2 and Auditor were very similar with an AD2000 . (as expected from two device aimed at transparency ) . AD2000 is a very colored headphone so it has to be considered too .

I Will not say that they sound exactly the same as i couldn't keep Auditor , it was sold when i get the O2 so had to ship it rather quickly so no long comparison . And didn't heard the V100.

K702 ANV sounded very good from O2 but i was not as exited as i was with the original K702 + Auditor Combo . 

In my opinion if you want to know how K70X sound O2 is a good start and many can settle with just that anyway after that you can think to upgrade if you feel the need , or want something a bit more "colored" to change the K70X sound a bit . 

Time to time i think in getting an Auditor + K702 again , i miss it a bit  , but well peraphs auditor and o2 would sound about the same
biggrin.gif
  , (or not , but if not i would guess that Auditor is an "improved O2") .

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #13 of 27
Thank you all for those advices.

I made an [edit] to my questions : If I removed my tape deck, I could find the space for a tuve/valve headphones amp ; my budget could climb up to 400 euros --> new questions...

I that case, would a tube headphone amp be better paired with the K701 than the recommanded solid state amps ? If yes, wich models (in my budget span) would you recommand ?
I saw a second hand Little Dot MarkIII on a french forum. What would you think about that combination ? Wouldn't it be overkill for a K701 ? Would it be better than O2 ?

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #14 of 27
If I were you, I would buy the Q701 without an amp at first. Then later on, when you save a couple of more euros, you can buy a better amp. I already made a mistake of wanting everithing at once and got stuck with a not-so-good equipment. And then I spent more money then I would, if I would take it slow. 
The Q701 seems good for your music and they don't need an amp to drive them. Also in that way you upgrade step by step, and al least for me, it is more enyoable in the long run :) 

Anyways, just my opinion.

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

O2 > M-stage for sure not that the M-stage is bad , not at all it was my first real headphone amp and i licked it a lot but if you are aiming details/transparency no coloroation O2 is better  . With easy to drive headphone O2 and Auditor were very similar with an AD2000 . (as expected from two device aimed at transparency ) . AD2000 is a very colored headphone so it has to be considered too .

I Will not say that they sound exactly the same as i couldn't keep Auditor , it was sold when i get the O2 so had to ship it rather quickly so no long comparison . And didn't heard the V100.

K702 ANV sounded very good from O2 but i was not as exited as i was with the original K702 + Auditor Combo . 

In my opinion if you want to know how K70X sound O2 is a good start and many can settle with just that anyway after that you can think to upgrade if you feel the need , or want something a bit more "colored" to change the K70X sound a bit . 

Time to time i think in getting an Auditor + K702 again , i miss it a bit  , but well peraphs auditor and o2 would sound about the same
biggrin.gif
  , (or not , but if not i would guess that Auditor is an "improved O2") .

If I have understand this right, you can just get the 702s original pads...this way you'll have them both types of sound.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back